Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting Scope

Default Spotting Scope

What do you take out in the field with you?

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan69 View Post
    What do you take out in the field with you?
    I've had several, but primarily use a Leupold fixed 25X scope in the fall and I have a Leupold 12-40X60 HD for spring bear. They're far from the "best" scopes, but they're lightweight, durable and of sufficient optical quality for my uses.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have four.
    1 old bl ed field scope 15-30X60 (loaner)
    1 liteweight Vortex Razor ED 11X33X50 MM
    1 15-45X65 Zeiss Diascope FL- I use this one alot
    1 25X60X85 Zeiss Diascope FL- This is my big eyeball.

I went with Zeiss because I could use the same eyepiece for both scopes.

Zeiss Dialyt 15-45x65

Works well...not too heavy and good image quality.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have a Vortex Diamondback that has served me well so far. Not the greatest glass, but good for the cash. I'll be upgrading this year I think.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I had a Leica non-HD 65mm straight scope until this year. I picked up a Vortex Razor 16-48x65mm angled scope and will never look back. This thing is sweet!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Swaro 65hd.

vortex razor's are hard to beat for the money though

Swarovski 80HD.

Swarovski magnesium bodied 80HD.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    Swaro 65hd.

I just got the Razor HD in 16-48x65. Took it out last week in the Eklutna area on a bluebird sky day. Performed very well. Looking forward to really breaking it in this May.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    Swaro 65hd.

Completely agree. I ended up with the Swaro 65hd as well, but the Razor HD was a close second. Big difference for me was the top end magnification. 60x for the Swaro and 48x for the Razor. If it hadn't been for that I think I'd have bought the Razor and kept the extra money in my pocket.

I have owned, Leupold, Pentax, Zeiss Dialyt 15-45x65 and now have both a Swarovski ATM 65mm and an ATX 95mm. Since I bought the ATX my ATM never leaves home. All I can recommend is get the best you can afford, if you are using it for anything but sheep about any spotter will work, but if you are trying to judge sheep,,, nothing beats a BIG eye. Also even the very best spotter is not worth much without a quality tripod and head, took me a while to figure that out.

My fat girl is heavy, but it is worth every oz in what it saves in wasted effort.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've had real good luck with my Alpen spotting scopes. They have pretty much anything you want, from lightweight/small/inexpensive to heavy/big/high end. You really can't beat the value of an Alpen optic. Also thier warranty is awesome.

I recently just purchased a vortex razor hd 20-60x85. the glass is clear and crisp. I do plan on taking this into the field with me. The scope itself is heavy but it will be used on short hike in/out or 4 wheeler trips. I was not planning on buying a vortex (was saving for a swaro), but I could not pass up the deal on the one that I got. I was at the range this past weekend and the person I was with had a swaro spotter and we set them side by side. I would have to say that the glass is comparable between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have owned, Leupold, Pentax, Zeiss Dialyt 15-45x65 and now have both a Swarovski ATM 65mm and an ATX 95mm. Since I bought the ATX my ATM never leaves home. All I can recommend is get the best you can afford, if you are using it for anything but sheep about any spotter will work, but if you are trying to judge sheep,,, nothing beats a BIG eye. Also even the very best spotter is not worth much without a quality tripod and head, took me a while to figure that out.

My fat girl is heavy, but it is worth every oz in what it saves in wasted effort.

I agree 100% concerning the tripod. If you do not spend the money on the base the money you spend on the glass is not worth much.

I packed my vortex razor 20-60x85 into the brooks last year 14 miles. Hardly used it at all. It is big. I am not sure how often the 60 power zoom can really be used. Had I actually seen some sheep, I would have used it a whole lot more. I thought of burying it at my last camp, but alas, the area was not good enough to return to!

I have not spent the dough yet for a high end carbon tripod.......hard pill to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have not spent the dough yet for a high end carbon tripod.......hard pill to swallow.
    same here. my swaro 65hd sits on a chopped up $70 cullman tripod. ill save that extra money for cub time.

Zen Ray "Zen" - china glass, but amazing quality of optic. I know they went through some issues about "copying" Vortex. My buddy has the Vortex 'counterpart' but the Zen Ray and mine crushes his in low light. Spotted a sub-legal ram (7/8 curl) at over a mile, which saved some walking. look into demo models on any glass if you can find them, which will save some dough for you taxidermist!

Swarovski 65HD straight

Swaro HD 65mm angled or straight for me, depends on the hunt. I've about had 'em all except the Swaro ATX series which seems outrageously overpriced for the optical difference between it and the HDs; still regard the Leica 62 apo with zoom as about perfect--a lot of punch for the weight!, ....but I like the swaro focus mechanism mo' betta.

And.....I never take a 'real' tripod. Waste of precious space and weight in the sheep & Goat mnts 10 miles in. I use a 4 ounce pedco tripod. Works perfectly especially with the angled scope. My Manfrotto carbon is top-shelf but I'd never pack that thing into the high country.
    Proud to be an American!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast