Thread: time to replace the anchor rode

Default time to replace the anchor rode

Have a Lewmar Profish 700 windlass and have nasty 3 strand 1/2" rode that is about 4 seasons old, Yes I reversed it two seasons ago. I hear that 8 plait nylon is better and I use 600 ft with 20 ft of chain. Any thoughts and can I buy local or is it off the internet somewhere in the lower 48 type of item? Lewmar says I can use 1/2 inch diameter but the rode I have now slips too much, I am thinking 5/8" but will the 8 pliate nylon pull better and be OK at 1/2"?

Check with Arctic Wire and Rope. That's where I bought my last 600' of 3 strand. I'm sure they have the 8 plait too. I hate my 3 strand too, so be sure to let us know how your Lewmar handles it. Good idea on reversing the rode. I didn't think about that.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Get in touch with steve, aka potbuilder also.
    He knows people and might be able to help out with a supplier or even get you the product.
    Bk

I believe you are only able to go with the 1/2" rope with the Profish 700

• Max. Chain Size: 1/4" G4, 1/4" BBB
    • Max. Rope Size: 1/2" in 3-strand and 8-plait

AK6Pack, I think you are right about the 1/2 inch, Rob B, I can check but will AK Wiire & Rope splice a chain to the 8 pliate nylon, that is above my pay grade, I am OK on a three strand splice but that is about it. Also just poking around on the internet I see that 600 ft of the nicer nylon is around 7 - 800 bucks for that much rope. Based upon the help I have had to give my 3 ply at times coming up from on anchor in 300 ft of water, might be worth it.

I have the 700 Pro Fish, with 600' of the. 8 plait and 35' of 1/4" chain. Andy at the Gear Shed in Homer spliced it for me. Done a very good job. You do have to give the rope a little tug to get the splice through the gipsy, because it is a little bigger, no way around it. The 8 plait will fray a little from going through the gipsy, but does not cause a problem. Got my8plait form the lower 48, (about 5years ago) do not remember where or cost. If need be I think I still have the paper work, would have to look a little.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Donalson in Anchorage has a pretty good selection and they splice too. Might splice for free if you buy from them. I havent had anything spliced there but they offered to when I bought shrimping gear from them.

I also have the 700 pro-fish with 1/2" 8 plait rode which works great. I got it from Defender pretty cheap about 5 or 6 years ago (relative to what I see now) and did the rope to chain splice myself. It goes through the gypsy OK most of the time without help so must have gotten it right. Here's directions on how to do the splice
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks guy's .... definately going with 1/2" pliate nylon and a couple of local vendors to talk to, if I can I keep the business local, AK is stronger for it ..... thanks again :~)

Be sure to let us know what and where you get it. After looking at mine, I might need to change out too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

The trick with any anchor line splice is to keep it loose, that way its more likely to stretch out and should feed through the gypsy. I learned this the hard way.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Good advice Beausaw ..... work hard in the first week of the month keeping the small business up and running I will be back mid month as I get to work on the Osprey 26 LC for the upcoming season .... Has anyone else seen big trailer boats heading down the Seward highway already, anyone fishing out of Seward in March?

Hey dude .... did you find my favorie hangout ... Fox Farm Bay? haha

Went to Anchorage Wire and Rope today over on Arctic Spur Rd. today, they did not have 1/2" 8 pliate in stock, waiting for a quote for a full spool of 600 ft from Seattle, on good faith I left my chain and anchor with them to do the splice ..... keep you posted, not as simple as I thought.

We got a Lewmar Profish with the boat last year, brand new used about 4-6 times. I'm removing it from the boat this spring and will have it for sale if anyone is interested.

Haven't given up on my Lewmar 700 Profish, Anchorage Wire and Rope are working with me and in three weeks I will have 600' of 1/2" 8 pliate rode from Atlanta GA, spliced to the chain for 692 dollars. I think it might be worth it ..... Had another Lewmar that burned out the motor but it was a low voltage situation with a bad alternator on my boat, I will look at your other post ..... not too many choices out there for small boat windlases ......