Thread: Browning X-Bolt

Default Browning X-Bolt

I'm looking for a new rifle for my wife, who is a lefty. Looking for any first hand experience either good or bad with the Browning X-Bolt.

Thanks!

I picked one up last year in .270.... Easily the easiest rifle to get shooting straight out of the box.

Shoots 4 brands of factory hunting ammo sub MOA... kind of hard to beat that.

No issues at all with fit, finish, or function.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have an A-bolt .300wm gold medallion, a synthetic stainless .338wm xbolt, and a .270wsm xbolt. I like my brownings.

The .270 is a nice little chicken shooter. I bought it to be my mountain rifle. My wife bloodied it with a DC483 bull. I didn't get (haven't gotten) the .270wsm to group as good as I expect it will. .84" at 100yd 4 shot group off a sled - I think I can clean that up a little maybe with depth settings, or powder/primer combos.

If you are looking at the new offering in stainless/laminate, it wont be available for production for sometime. It was a shot show special.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I agree with Hodgeman, I bought a SS 308 and it is both a pleasure and highly accurate rifle to shoot. One of the best feeling stocks I have held. I have shot it in the rain and it does not get slippery to hold either. Accuracy for mine was OUTSTANDING to say the least and eats anything I have fed it... I am not a Browning addict by any means, but this is a very enjoyable gun to shoot and lug around... I put a 2 x 7 x 33 Leupold LR on it and a great combo... Loves Hornady 165gn Interlocks - 2600 fps, all sub 1 in groups at 100 and I have shot a couple at 200 yards! Short bolt throw a plus also IMO...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I've got an xbolt in 338 WM and it is a tack driver. I bought another in 30-06 a few weeks ago but haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. I hunted with Browning Abolts exclusively since around 1992 and aside from the Eurotrash styling of the xbolt, I don't have any real complaints with the xbolt. It is one of the few turnkey rifles you can shoot without having to replace the stock or bed it. I don't know what they use for bedding compound but it seems to work okay.

The magazine sits pretty much flush with the stock and I like the ergonomics of it. As Smokey mentioned, the stock is very good. Compared to the Abolt, the Xbolt bolt handle feels a lot slimmer, almost too slim but it seems to work just fine. I would buy a third Xbolt if I needed another caliber.