Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First ocean boat for Alaska

Default First ocean boat for Alaska

Good day everybody. I'm hoping to find some opinions from anyone who's been in my shoes been here done that. Anyway I've been wanting to get a nice boat for a long time now, something I can take out of Whittier or Seward or where ever and fish, hunt camp and explore. I first was thinking about trying to find a do it all boat, ocean, rivers and lakes, but from reading others experiences I've decided I'm going to spend the money and get a good reliable and sea worthy ocean boat only. I already got the 16' beater Jon boat for everything else. I'm looking to spend about 30k give or take, not a lot I know, but have seen some decent boats within or close to that budget. Mostly 19-24 footers. There's been a couple 24' osprey's on the sales pages for Alaska, they look pretty nice and would work perfectly for me. So please any advise and opinions welcomed. It's just me and my wife and the occasional couple friends. 24' would be perfect. Also I won't be buying until late fall 2015 at the earliest so I have some time. Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson5 View Post
    Good day everybody. I'm hoping to find some opinions from anyone who's been in my shoes been here done that. Anyway I've been wanting to get a nice boat for a long time now, something I can take out of Whittier or Seward or where ever and fish, hunt camp and explore. I first was thinking about trying to find a do it all boat, ocean, rivers and lakes, but from reading others experiences I've decided I'm going to spend the money and get a good reliable and sea worthy ocean boat only. I already got the 16' beater Jon boat for everything else. I'm looking to spend about 30k give or take, not a lot I know, but have seen some decent boats within or close to that budget. Mostly 19-24 footers. There's been a couple 24' osprey's on the sales pages for Alaska, they look pretty nice and would work perfectly for me. So please any advise and opinions welcomed. It's just me and my wife and the occasional couple friends. 24' would be perfect. Also I won't be buying until late fall 2015 at the earliest so I have some time. Thanks in advance for any input.

Well it sounds like you've done your homework and know what you are looking for. That's probably the hardest part. I was in the same situation as you are 7 years ago and bought a 22ft Ocean Pro with a 150hp outboard. It was great for just the wife and I but was really tight when we had more for than 2 for overnight trips. You could probably add a back canvas for more sleeping room but that's another $2500. Given where you're coming from and where you want to boat out of, I'd strongly recommend something that you can sleep on . If it's only you and your wife then I'd recommend aluminum with outboards. They are very low maintenance and the new outboards are very reliable. I think you can probably find that in your price range, or close to it. Something like a Sea Runner or Ocean Pro or similar Raider.

If you think you'll be taking out a couple friends more often, I think your best options are exactly what you mentioned. A 22ft to 24ft Seasport, Osprey or Skagit. You can find ones in decent shape with gas inboard/outboards in that price range. Importantly, all of these, including the aluminums mentioned above, are good options but are going to max out your budget. If you can up your budget to $40K I think you'll do well on finding the boat you're looking for. That being said, there are some good deals out there right now so you might just find what you're looking for in your price range.

Enjoy the shopping around. It's one of the most enjoyable parts, particularly during the winter months.

I'm no expert, but I've spent a lot of time in the water out of Whittier, and there are many boats that are appropriate for both deep rivers and Prince William Sound.

Seward, however, requires a more seaworthy boat.

Jackson

Look at used Uniflites, Tollycrafts and Glasplys. All are good, solid boats. I see a lot of 26 and 28 footers for sell; Im in the market and looking to buy as well. Youll have more options with your current price range with glass boats vs aluminum.

PatrickL, yes I been thinking about the budget and think I'm definitely going to consider capping it a little higher. I got the mind set if I'm going to buy an ocean boat now do it right and get something decent.

From what I've seen on the market so far that seems to be pretty accurate. Glass boats seen a little cheaper. Although I do like the idea of less maintenance and outboards. Much easier to service and less moving parts.

I've never been on an aluminum boat besides skiffs and Jon boats, but is the ride different from fiberglass or how they handle? I grew up fishing on 30-40' glass or wood lobster boats out of Maine, that's all I know.

The aluminum boats are, well, more tinny. They do not ride the same as a similar sized fiberglass boat. They handle well IMO.

I am in the market now too, getting fairly serious about a new boat (most likely used). It seems to me that an aluminum boat with low hours on the motor in the 22-24' class is going to cost me upwards of $50K. New and the same boat price goes up considerable.

When I spent a little time in a boat repair shop. I saw several used boats guys just bought that needed repairs. I'm not saying to not buy a use boat you can save a lot of money. What I suggest is to take the boat to a shop and have it inspected by a professional that knows what to look for before you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    I'm no expert, but I've spent a lot of time in the water out of Whittier, and there are many boats that are appropriate for both deep rivers and Prince William Sound.

Seward, however, requires a more seaworthy boat.
    That hasn't been my experience over the past 7 seasons. You can safely handle either port with a 22-24' ocean boat, and you can also be flat out miserable out of either port.

If I was planning on making regular runs to Montague from Seward I'd want a bigger boat, but I've found you can get into excellent fishing at the mouth of Resurrection Bay which is certainly doable with a smaller ocean going boat. With Whittier you're looking at longer runs to get into consistently good fishing. To me an appropriate boat for either port is one that you can safely run in a 4' chop, as at some point you'll find yourself in those conditions, especially on a multi day trip.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The loan on my current boat required a boat inspection.

CAC platics in the valley will check the moisture content and advise the repairs that might be needed on a fiberglass boat, I bet other shops could also.
    They crawl under, around, and inside probing the boat's structure with a meter to give you an evaluation, might be worthwhile on a used boat?!
    Food for thought.
    There are a ton of older bayliner trophys out on the market in your price range. Regardless what you choose at least your out there and enjoying the water!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    That hasn't been my experience over the past 7 seasons. You can safely handle either port with a 22-24' ocean boat, and you can also be flat out miserable out of either port.

If I was planning on making regular runs to Montague from Seward I'd want a bigger boat, but I've found you can get into excellent fishing at the mouth of Resurrection Bay which is certainly doable with a smaller ocean going boat. With Whittier you're looking at longer runs to get into consistently good fishing. To me an appropriate boat for either port is one that you can safely run in a 4' chop, as at some point you'll find yourself in those conditions, especially on a multi day trip.
    Couldn't agree more. If you are living in Anchortown. ...what he says is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    CAC platics in the valley will check the moisture content and advise the repairs that might be needed on a fiberglass boat, I bet other shops could also.
    They crawl under, around, and inside probing the boat's structure with a meter to give you an evaluation, might be worthwhile on a used boat?!
    Food for thought.
    There are a ton of older bayliner trophys out on the market in your price range. Regardless what you choose at least your out there and enjoying the water!
    BK
    Once again I couldn't agree more. I've been working with them for several years now and they're top notch.

For the money you want to spend, most likely it will be had to find something you'd be satisfied with without investing another 5 to 10K. I am a bit bias in the following suggestion, but for that kind of money a 22ft C-Dory would serve you well. This was my first ocean boat for my family of three, it took us anywhere we wanted to go in PWS and out of Seward. It sleeps 3 comfortable, most have a ceramic top two burner wallas stove that also acts as a heater. All the systems are easy to access and work on, the layout is well thought out and ergonomically designed. They are extremely sea worthy and economical to run and maintain.
    You can go here and see some of the modifications and many Pictures from our trips out of Whittier and Seward. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?s...view_album.php

Granted you can't travel through 3 foot chop as fast as a deep V hull, but with proper trim you can get the bow down and slice the waves nicely.

Good luck on your boat buying endeavors and future adventures.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson5 View Post
    I've never been on an aluminum boat besides skiffs and Jon boats, but is the ride different from fiberglass or how they handle? I grew up fishing on 30-40' glass or wood lobster boats out of Maine, that's all I know.

Your going to be really disappointed on the ride of what folks around here call "ocean boats" when you compare them to the ride of a downeast hull.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Your going to be really disappointed on the ride of what folks around here call "ocean boats" when you compare them to the ride of a downeast hull.
    Downeast hull design is more of a slow speed load carrying design, not really what I would want for a rec boat.
    To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by FinFever View Post
    Downeast hull design is more of a slow speed load carrying design, not really what I would want for a rec boat.
    To each his own.
    I guess 20 knots into 5 footers sitting in a nice comfy chair with your feet up and a cup of coffee is nothing desirable for a rec boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I guess 20 knots into 5 footers sitting in a nice comfy chair with your feet up and a cup of coffee is nothing desirable for a rec boat.
    We prefer 30 knots and dead calm seas to be honest!! Then the kids crayons stay on the table vs the floor.
    He-he-he.....
    Bk

That would be awesome, what boat are you referring to?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast