Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM 536-Funny River...

Post DM 536-Funny River...

So I can't help but notice after searching the interwebs of this forum that not too many people have posted anything about the moose hunt on the Funny River. My buddy drew the tag and I am trying to help him out as much as possible so that perhaps I can tag along or better yet end up with some moose in my freezer!

Anyone out there have any knowledge of that area or advice for a first time Moose hunter?

Thanks!

Mike

The only legitimate way to hunt that tag is by packing in with horses. Very thick Beatle kill blowdown makes travel difficult. The area burned this past summer so I suspect it will be a little easier traveling this fall but I haven't been back there since the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

limon32 is spot on. No motorized access, lots of bushwhacking. Mules or horses are the way to go.

I'll have to jump in as well and say that horses are the way to go (unless you can access it somehow from Tustumena Lake and foot it). The pack trail starts on Funny River Rd and runs south.

As already stated, a lot of that area was scorched by fire this past year, so it might be a little easier sledding than usual. The moose are still there though. I have seen plenty of them down Funny River Rd since the burn. In fact, just a few months after the fire, when the season came around, there were a couple of trucks and a horse trailer parked at the trailhead for several days. Driving bye one morning i noticed the truck and trailer were gone. I pulled in and saw two hacked off hooves (moose, not horse ) with rope tied around them, laying on the ground. So i'm assuming they were successful.

If your buddy wants a horse transporter, he should have been calling around on Saturday. The ones that do it book quickly and (by the way) they aren't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    So I can't help but notice after searching the interwebs of this forum that not too many people have posted anything about the moose hunt on the Funny River. My buddy drew the tag and I am trying to help him out as much as possible so that perhaps I can tag along or better yet end up with some moose in my freezer!

Anyone out there have any knowledge of that area or advice for a first time Moose hunter?

Thanks!

Mike
    The reason you don't hear a lot about this hunt is because there just isn't the moose population like it used to be.......not even close, and word has gotten out. I've known a few locals that have hunted some of the best areas hard and have said they didn't even see a moose. Just bears, bears, and more bears.....they don't call it Bear Creek for nothing. Yes, there are some bulls up there but not a whole heck of a lot, and that whole bench area is a big area, so they could just about be anywhere up there.

Unless you plan on taking horses another way you "might" get lucky is by calling from a boat on a calm morning just off shore where you can see a little. It's hard walking in from Tusty, and a real long haul (to pack a moose) to even get to the area off the horse trail. So unless you guys are 10' tall and bullet proof, don't plan on packing out a moose some 4 miles or something like that. Then again, you may have access to a lot of man power after a moose is down, if so, that could allow you to walk in a bit further. But if both you guys are coming from Kodiak? I wouldn't think so.

Good luck on your trip.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I was trying not to be too down on it but 4mer let the cat out of the bag...

I do know a guy that took a nice bull on that tag about 3 years ago while guided.

It's really odd they still even offer that tag.

Something also to keep in mind is that I believe (correct me if I am wrong guys) you are not allowed to use any wheeled carts or bikes in that area, so you wouldn't be able to bike in or walk in with a cart to transport gear/meat.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Something also to keep in mind is that I believe (correct me if I am wrong guys) you are not allowed to use any wheeled carts or bikes in that area, so you wouldn't be able to bike in or walk in with a cart to transport gear/meat.
    That is correct, nothing wheeled is allowed on the refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I was trying not to be too down on it but 4mer let the cat out of the bag...

I do know a guy that took a nice bull on that tag about 3 years ago while guided.

It's really odd they still even offer that tag.

Yeah, it just makes me sad to talk about an area that used to be so rich with super high quality animals, and now see it like it is. A friend drew the bench tag last year and flew into Twin. Never saw a moose.

When I used to go in sheep hunting above Emma years ago, once we got above treeline big bulls were literally everywhere. I remember stories of guys snoring in their tents, calling in monster bulls and have them fighting all around them.

I really do try to remain optimistic, and I'm hoping that the fire will at least do "some" good. The fact that we are now killing more bears after almost 30 years of being closed to a regular hunt also keeps me hoping. But I'm afraid that nothing short of closing it down completely will be the only way that it can even remotely resemble what it once was......as far as moose are concerned anyway.

Just like kings on the Kenai it seems like they're not going to be content till every last one is gone. As far as I'm concerned "someone" really dropped the ball on that whole area. But what do I know....

If I was to hunt up there again I'm afraid it would only be for caribou.....

Thanks for all the input fellows. I have passed on a great deal already.

With 6 percent draw odds or whatever it is it could be awhile before your friend would draw this hunt again. If its something he wants to do , go do it. He might get lucky, moose numbers are way down on the bench but it only takes one bull. Boat or horses are the only two ways to hunt this area, i dont think theres any lakes authorized for plane landings in this hunt area. I would look into chartering a flightseeing trip over the hunt area to see what areas look productive post burn and see if theres any sign of moose around the lake shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    If your buddy wants a horse transporter, he should have been calling around on Saturday. The ones that do it book quickly and (by the way) they aren't cheap.
    Had a guy not called on Saturday and was going to test his luck, what are some reputable/reasonable horse transporters in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcy42 View Post
    Had a guy not called on Saturday and was going to test his luck, what are some reputable/reasonable horse transporters in that area?
    I don't know them off the top of my head but I'm surprised they haven't contacted the permit holder, that may indicate they are booked, may not. Te same outfits cater to the caribou hunters for that area and the tag to the north.

Try Alex Kime located on Kenai Lake.

http://www.alaskahorsemen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bcy42 View Post
    Its been about 6 years ago, but there was also a guy from Homer that was doing it then. He wanted $3,000 pp for packing in/out. That price has probably risen. I don't have the name anymore, sorry. I think ADF&G has a transporter list (hidden somewhere) on its web site. If not, check under state licensing info for big game transporters.

Actually, I believe that if you call the Soldotna F&G they will tell you who has pack horses......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Actually, I believe that if you call the Soldotna F&G they will tell you who has pack horses......
    Could be - if they have an updated list. When I was trying to find one, I think Alex was the only one (out of 4 or 5) that was still doing it. He was booked (3 days after the draws were announced). I found 2 others doing horse pack trips. One was only working Chugach Park and the other was the guy in Homer.

Thanks again guys. I know my buddy has spoken to a couple now. He has spoken with Funny River Outfitters and may do something with them. Is there a place to rent boat to get into that country?

Default DM 536-Funny River...

There is an outfit in Sterling that rents rafts and drift boats, I believe they have on power boat, looks to be a 18 or 20' alumaweld, that's the only place I can think of. I can't recall their name, sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast