Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Services into the Wrangells

Default Air Services into the Wrangells

I'm looking at a hunt this coming fall and I was curious if anyone knew of any air services that would charter someone into the Wrangells ASIDE from 40 mile Air. I have nothing against 40 mile air but was told they won't fly where I want to go.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

Zac Knable (Tok Air) However, this is a touchy subject, Zac won't fly into airstrips that 40 Mile air go into, and 40 mile won't go to airstrips that Zac goes into. wouldn't hurt to give him a call.

Call Gary Green at McCarthy Air. He will fly on the North Side as well as the South.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Zac Knable (Tok Air) However, this is a touchy subject, Zac won't fly into airstrips that 40 Mile air go into, and 40 mile won't go to airstrips that Zac goes into. wouldn't hurt to give him a call.
    Zac is a great dude that works hard at what he does. He's always out looking for and building new strips.

Good luck, I tried to get Zack to fly me into sheep country and he said that he is booked this year. He did however have a moose spot open so I took it. Hopefully will be able to get in with him next year. I've talked to Zack on the phone about 6 times and he seems like an awesome guy.

Gary will also avoid a good portion of country you might be interested in going. The wrangells are a very delicate balance of keeping everyone happy

It gets to a point where you wish you had your own set of wings or at least a buddy with some.

Disgusting the way that guides and their air services have that wonderful area of Alaska (Chisana etc.) practically locked up against non-guided hunters...
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Disgusting the way that guides and their air services have that wonderful area of Alaska (Chisana etc.) practically locked up against non-guided hunters...
    Yep,, sat across the glacier watching several rams in my spotting scope, called 40 mile and ask to be moved over to the other side where the rams were offering to pay of course,, said no can do,,, that is Ellis's side. Last time I have flown with them.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Now what is the difference between a draw tag and an area like Chisana where the guides have all the access? Words can not express how angry I am about scenarios like this. I realize that guiding is a career for many people as is flying airplanes. But there should never be a monopoly on the land or on the game. Might need to contact the better business bureau over this one.

There is never anything in writing. They will deny it until they are blue in the face. At the most recent BOG meetings all the guides and transporters said this does not happen.

Not quite sure what all this is about but it sounds to me like a few folks do not have their facts straight. I am pretty sure I recently saw a few of you post regarding sheep hunting and too many hunters with not enough resource to go around. That is exactly what the situation you are describing is about, too many hunters wanting to go into the same area. Fortunately there are some transporters with ethics who will not stack hunters on top of each other and I for one am extremely thankful for that.

Also just an FYI, you might do a little research into a business if you are going to promote them and make sure The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze

Honestly, I would rather see areas such as the one we are talking about turned into a draw rather than a general season that is available really only for a few people. I had a great conversation with Zack from tok air who said a similar thing. It is just frustrating for someone to think they have a chance at getting into a specific area when in reality they need to be booking flights or guides at least a year in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Nothing new been that way for 30 years. Try getting someone to fly you in Chisana, Baultoff Creak, Ptarmigan Lake, head waters White River. won't happen. Try reserve a spot year ahead of time... still won't happen...unless you have your own plane of course.

Don't see how being worried over to many hunters in a area is a bad thing. When willing to give up money to protect over hunting I give them a thumbs up.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

These guys are trying to keep the area from being over hunted. If they dropped hunters and guides on top of each other you guys would be complaining about that and game would be even more scarce.
    They are self regulating. Something that is rare these days in the big game hunting world of Alaska.
    I am a transporter myself and I can stack up some cash in one season if I overbook and hammer my areas. It is legal for me to do that but I choose not to.

One thing to remember is there is a huge difference between self regulating and only taking guide clients into an area. I have no problem with the guys who say they will take you anywhere as long as you called first. I do have a problem with guides having the only access to one area year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearsnack View Post
    These guys are trying to keep the area from being over hunted. If they dropped hunters and guides on top of each other you guys would be complaining about that and game would be even more scarce.
    They are self regulating. Something that is rare these days in the big game hunting world of Alaska.
    I am a transporter myself and I can stack up some cash in one season if I overbook and hammer my areas. It is legal for me to do that but I choose not to.
    Agree 100%. I've flown into this area with 40 mile. Had great comfort knowing that nobody else was going to be hunting over the top of us.

Is it just me, or is there nothing that sheep hunters won't complain about?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Lol there is nothing....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast