Thread: DG 346 resurrection peninsula goat hunt

Default DG 346 resurrection peninsula goat hunt

Just drew DG346. Any info on trails to get to alpine? I heard there were trails at the back end of Humpy cove and Thumb cove. Are these viable options for goat hunting or should I look elsewhere? Also, what is the trophy potential for goats in this area? I've fished a lot around there, just never went ashore.

Has anyone hunted this area? I would like to hear from you.

Do you have a boat or are you planning on using a water taxi

A buddy of mine is 1 for 2 on this tag, he hiked a trail up Alice Mountain, over by Spring Creek prison.

I have a boat and access to a couple of others. Pretty much any method of transportation can be arranged. I'm just trying to figure out what my best options are. Like what areas to concentrate on and where the access points are such as trails etc. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by AKmyles View Post
    A buddy of mine is 1 for 2 on this tag, he hiked a trail up Alice Mountain, over by Spring Creek prison.
    Thanks for the info. I had heard of that area and was wondering about it. How many did he see up there, what is the terrain like, and how far in did he have to go? Is it possible for a day trip or a week of hard hunting?

A quick search on this site will yield all answers you should reasonably expect. My 12 year old drew this tag. We will be chasing them mid to late sept.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I know how many exactly he saw, but I know he saw goats cause he shot at one but missed. He hunted this area over two or three weekends last year, I was supposed to go with him but work prevented. Plenty accessible for day/weekend hunting. From the pictures I saw it was craggy looking.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    A quick search on this site will yield all answers you should reasonably expect. My 12 year old drew this tag. We will be chasing them mid to late sept.
    I'll check that out. I also drew DC608 so that will probably take up my September. I shot a goat on Kodiak several years ago the first week of October and the hair on it was really long and thick. Thought I might wait until then for this one weather permitting.
    Good luck on your hunt!

Tried to pm but I don't think you have enough posts yet

Sent a pm also. Last I was there, there were plenty of goats all over that peninsula, and you don't need a water taxi to access all of them.

Like this one, I'm guessing this was a Billy, seeing as how his bases were mostly touching.

Granted, he was not retrievable where he was at. At least I don't think so, I couldn't quite see to the bottom of where he was standing, there is a glacier below him, and I am unaware of any way to get to that side of the glacier alive.

Same with this one. He was plenty close, but on the wrong side of the glacier.

This goat wasn't as big, but was right below me inside of 100 yards if I remember correctly. Watching him go out to the edge gave me the serious creepies. It was not a place I would have stood.

These 4 goats, which I think were all billies, were on the correct side of the glacier. I believe they would have been killable and recoverable. I didn't make it all the way to them, because one section of the approach was pretty steep and I didn't have a tag--we were out scouting for someone else. But the steep spot had alders, and I think if you went up packless, and tied up a rope, then went back down and used the rope you should have not too much problem getting to the bowl.

The nice thing about this unit is it is easy and cheap to scout the areas you can reach without a water taxi. That way if you don't see something you like during the summer, you can always pay to get taken further out. No real excuse for not getting a goat with this tag.

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    Sent a pm also. Last I was there, there were plenty of goats all over that peninsula, and you don't need a water taxi to access all of them.

Like this one, I'm guessing this was a Billy, seeing as how his bases were mostly touching.

Nice pictures! And yes, first picture looks like a Billy to me.

Pm me when you have enough posts. I hike the few trails that are in that area quite often. I also hunted the DC608 last year.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Nice pics! Now you got me pumped! Can't wait to get my boots on the ground in that country!