Thread: DB293 Afognak Raspberry island bear hunt

Default DB293 Afognak Raspberry island bear hunt

It has finally happened! I have been putting in for permits for years and I got a Bear permit!
    Now the rush to get information.
    I need any recommendations as for where to start getting ready for this hunt. And a question. I have a 20 ft Aluma Weld Stryker soft top Running a 50 HP Yamaha. I was thinking of putting it on the ferry and using it for my getting around boat. Is that a wise decision or not? I am open to opinions.
    What kind of tent is recommended ? I hear it can be nice
    one minute then blowing and snowing like hell the next.
    I am reading all I can on this, and it sounds like a once in a lifetime hunt. I really want good information as I know I might not have this opportunity again.
    Thanks

Spring or fall hunt..........???

Spring hunt.

The HERRING mothership and 50 catch boats can be a noisy and noxious factor in the spring hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter907 View Post
    Spring hunt.

I went to Raspberry Island 4 years ago on a fall brown bear hunt. We spent almost every second glassing and never even saw a bear. An older woman from Kodiak has a cabin in onion bay that we stayed at. Beats the hell out of a tent. We saw good sign on the north end of the island just never got lucky. There is a bay on that side with a lot of drift wood on the beach that they like to scavenge through. Its about 30 minutes walk from the end of Onion bay to the north shore. We took a zodiac with a 20hp motor for hunting in Onion bay and there we days we didn't dare take it out. Also we were taken to the cabin from Antons Bay by a gentleman with a 30 foot landing craft and getting through some of the channels was a little sketchy. If you do take your boat make sure you play the tides right. Unless your comfortable on 10 foot seas in it. I cant pm you for some reason so if you have any other questions I would love to help . Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the information. Does this woman from Kodiak rent out the cabin? if so what was she charging? I don't have enough post to Pm each other yet. I don't know why this site doesn't allow PM until you get a high score. Lol. Yeah , my boat wont handle 10 ft seas comfortably at all. I am trying to decide if I need to Fly in a rent a boat or raft. Trying not to spend a ton of money. I was hoping to get a fall hunt and have all summer to pay for it , but with this a spring hunt I am going to have to be creative.

I would take snowshoes. About half of the spring hunts I have done there, I also did not see one bear.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter907 View Post
    Thanks for the information. Does this woman from Kodiak rent out the cabin? if so what was she charging? I don't have enough post to Pm each other yet. I don't know why this site doesn't allow PM until you get a high score. Lol. Yeah , my boat wont handle 10 ft seas comfortably at all. I am trying to decide if I need to Fly in a rent a boat or raft. Trying not to spend a ton of money. I was hoping to get a fall hunt and have all summer to pay for it , but with this a spring hunt I am going to have to be creative.
    You might want to check on the YEAR of your Spring Bear Permit. If you just now drew it, it will be for spring 2016

you should check your dates. Im pretty sure all spring hunts are for the following spring 2016. That should give you plenty of time to save up. If you check out Kodiak camps online they have little zodiacs with motors that they rent. Also the lady does rent her cabin as far as I know she still does anyway. I stayed for 2 weeks and she treated me very well. Also the gentleman who owns Kodiak big timber lodge is the guy who gave us our water taxi from antons . never had to get on a plane. I think it was about 1k for the boat ride and the cabin. I might still have some phone numbers laying around. I will see what I can find. I will have to figure out how to get them to you. I don't know if I should be putting someones personal information on here without permission.

I feel like an idiot. Yes, it is for 2016. Thank God. I have time to prepare! The e mail from adf&g didn't specify they year. Found it in the supplement.
    I would still like the names and numbers elkarcher if you find them.
    e mail me archer@acsalaska.net to keep em private.

Bob May also has a cabin and a couple lodges in that area. http://ashamapointlodge.com/ or http://www.whalepasslodge.com/
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Hunt Steep Cape starting April 15, best if the wind is coming easterly, there can be some swell otherwise. There was a pretty decent boar denned up there.

I was hunting deer and elk this past fall and we stayed with raspberry Island Lodge. We seen an honest 10' bear while we were hunting there and also seen another sow and two cubs. I think the valley we were in that day was called cow Valley. It was on the north side of raspberry Island. Straight North across the island from onion Bay. We could have easily gotten him unfortunately we didn't have a tag. A guy with a tag came into the lodge on our second to last day and we told him about it and I know he hunted it but he never seen it so he is still there somewhere

You might want to check out the sportsman show in Anchorage this spring. There are usually a lot of different vendors with services on Kodiak. Im pretty sure that the Raspberry Island lodge folks are there most years. They may be willing to help you out a little also.

While at the Alaska Bowhunter's Association banquet this past weekend I won an auction for a bear tag for DB163 on Raspberry Island for this Nov. So I'm also looking for any and all info on the area. I've already got another hunt planned for this year so $ is a concern but I know this may be a once in a life time hunt, so I don't want to skimp on anything that I should invest in. Guide? Raspberry Island Lodge?

I also stayed at raspberry island lodge this past fall for the early bull elk hunt. My wife drew the tag and as it being a once in a life time hunt we spared no expense. We were able to get a nice bull opening day and spent the next three packing it out. Saw one decent bear on a pack out. Brought a bear fence and were lucky to keep all meat. Definitely recommend the lodge! Birch and Tiffany are great as is there food and all other accommodations, including hearty meals, sauna, hot tub, keg beer, wine pairings w/dinner and not to mention my wifes favorite, the private cabins with toilet and hot shower. Also Birch's step father is a guide for the lodge, for Bear, Elk and Deer. Warm and dry every night with transport by boat to almost any beach you like. Hard to beat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blaine great shot of you and your wife. I wonder who took the picture.
    Just had to say hi.
    Dan