Thread: DG890- Metal Creek Goats

Default DG890- Metal Creek Goats

I drew DG890. I have hunted the other side up in Lake George area but never been to Jim Creek, Friday Creek or Metal creek. I spoke to my air charter guy and that is an option. He said he could drop me in the upper fork of Friday creek. No airstrip in Metal Creek. I have access to a wheeler, or I will just go buy one if needed. I have limited time to go on this hunt. I will head out on a Thursday and be home by Wednesday Night the following week. I have had success in the short timeframes for goat in Lake George, but I know where to go and have been there, done that. With limited time, I am looking for suggestions on where to go for this permit. I know there are probably more guys that have hunted sheep up this way, but any help will be greatly appretiated. If you dont care to share publicly, send me a PM. Thanks is advance for any and all help.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

PS. I am open to other suggestions if Metal Creek is not my best choice for this permit.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I'd check with a biologist in Palmer. Metal Creek is supposed to be a dicey atv crossing. I'm not sure if there are goats on the side accessible from Friday Creek, but there might be. For what it is worth, I know someone who was successful from the grasshopper strip.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

There's a trail that leads up Metal creak that will put you above tree line. Wouldn't try river crossing that time of year with ATV...from person that loves a good challenge. Most goats are up Grass Hopper Valley.. Marcus Backer. Not to many Metal Creek although there are sightings. Use to hunt that area for sheep quite extensively untill it turned to permit hunt. Good Luck.
    Sign up for cheap flying lesson in Palmer. What we use to do in the old days....

A few years ago I got drawn for ds185 and spent quite a bit of time glassing the mountainside along the knik in mid to late August before my hunt. One of the days I went down the trail a little past the boundaries of my hunt area to check things out. Just a little ways past wolf point I spotted a few goats down fairly low hanging out in the brush just above some nasty cliffs. It seemed kind of odd but they were definitely there. I've also seen goats on the mountain just above the range on Maude. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk