Thread: DI454- This is not a typical Begging for Help Drawing Thread.

Default DI454- This is not a typical Begging for Help Drawing Thread.

Dear DI454 Hunters,

I am not asking for any assistance in my upcoming hunt for Bison on the Copper. I am going to pay Ahtna whether I hunt on their land or if I concentrate behind the CC or on the Old Edgerton, behind Sapa's Fields or maybe even on our homestead. But... I would like to know the other people who have won this permit and what your plans are so I don't run into you and you don't run into me. I don't want to fly into the Ahtna cabin to find a Bison Cooperative Meat party there with families scaring the herd to the other side of the river. I just want to know who you are so I don't get in your way and you don't see me.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Download the list of winners and start looking them up, but I would wait about 3 months of so.
    Given the the fact that permits have been out for about 2 days and the season is still over 6 months out, I doubt there are many people that have a specific enough plan formed to be able to say that you won't see them.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I don't believe there are that many Bison in that area. Ultimately, folks are going to have to hunt where the Bison are and seeing other hunters might be unavoudable.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have the list of winners(23 permit winners) and in general from past history of the permit(even though they write in to get the permit)only about 13 people actually hunt the permit. However, it makes sense that if somebody who is really serious about it comes forward (somebody on the forum who is already talking to Ahtna and FG) that it makes it easier to make sure that I can schedule the right week off of school and fly it before I float it or use an UTV to go on the old Evergreen logging roads on the other side of the Kotsina to get in country so that there are less conflicts.

But if you asked those other 23 people today if they were going to hunt, I bet at least 20 of them would say absolutely. And they wouldn't be lying.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

The other 22 are out there. I know two of them already but my goal is to make as many connections with the other potentials as possible. Its not only about optimizing your success but learning who your possible competition is. I would be stupid not to. This is also different then the 1000s of drawing winners who come on here-they have never been hunting- and want to know where the best place to hunt TMA or DCUA.
    Many people on this forum have time and money to make their hunting dreams a success. However, as a teacher I have to optimize every second that I hunt otherwise I get a less than great hunt. You may laugh about that situation, but my school year begins on August 10th and I can't do anything about it. I have saved up personal days for three years. Five years from now you won't ever hear from me again as I will be back in Chitina permanently and can spend entire months hunting. However, I seriously doubt that I will ever draw a bison hunt again so I better get my beta down and know the competition.

Why would somebody laugh at your situation?
    Out.

American Buffalo, Steven Rinella, one of them most articled Bison hunts in the last 7 years.
    Think Copper River area.
    Now try to find the Copper River.

Good luck!

I got this hunt as well. Feel free to contact me. Brad at blspar01@hotmail.com

My wife and I drew this tag. She is also a teacher. We will definitely be hunting but don't have specific plans yet. Let's be a little realistic. It's half a year away and the hunt is 6 months long. If you tell me you are going to hunt one area now and the herd moves due to whatever reason are you telling me you arn't going to hunt that area because I might be in it? With this hunt I wouldn't expect that. I don't combat fish and do my best to go as deep into the woods to get away from others, but think this hunt will be different.
    This was our third choice for Bison and haven't spent a ton of time researching it because of the draw success. But now we have luckily drew this hunt I will be planning full bore and this is our primary goal for this year. I do know it will be expensive.
    Feel free to contact me. PM me for email or phone #. Josh

how do you get across the kotsina?

Kaboku68 did you hunt it? Get anything??

Lo I haven't been out for bison yet. I shot a goat in the Wrangells and now I am getting ready to reset and direct myself towards Bison.

I hope that your wife has success.

Sincerely,
    Thomas- Yes Kenny Lake Rules.