Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River conditions

Default River conditions

Anyone know what the conditions are on the rivers heading up the Yentna to Big Bend and the Tripod Trail?
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    Anyone know what the conditions are on the rivers heading up the Yentna to Big Bend and the Tripod Trail?

I don't know about the Yetna but our trail is all but impassable. Inch and a half of rain, open water, and sand. Only thing missing is snow. 45 degrees today. Pretty much nothing to do but chase the oil lady around the house!

Earlier this week the deshka was flowing bank to bank, thigh to knee deep water. Impassable on sleds.
    Bk

1340 Rudakof Cr Anchorage, AK 99508 (Off Debarr & Bragaw across from Costco)

Made the run last weekend from Deshka to Northwoods lodge. River ice was good but it sounds like it may have opened up.
    Your Alaska Power Sports dealership carrying new & used Polaris, CFMoto, PitsterPro, Rokon, AlumaSki, Duras, Achilles, Tohatsu, Suzuki, Mercury, and Yamaha outboard motor parts. Join us on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram.

(907) 337-2744
    1340 Rudakof Cr
    Anchorage, Alaska 99508
    www.alaskapowersports.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marit...60433194054763
    Twitter https://twitter.com/MaritaSeaSki
    Instagram http://instagram.com/alaska_power_sports

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    I don't know about the Yetna but our trail is all but impassable. Inch and a half of rain, open water, and sand. Only thing missing is snow. 45 degrees today. Pretty much nothing to do but chase the oil lady around the house!
    LOL, good one Mike. I just boxed up 8 boxes of food for the cabin. Rained like hell yesterday.
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Earlier this week the deshka was flowing bank to bank, thigh to knee deep water. Impassable on sleds.
    Bk
    I was on it a week ago Thursday and it was fine, not sure now, as nobody has said anything about it for sure.
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by maritasea&ski View Post
    Made the run last weekend from Deshka to Northwoods lodge. River ice was good but it sounds like it may have opened up.
    I think you are right, I don't have much hope for it to form up anytime soon.
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    I was on it a week ago Thursday and it was fine, not sure now, as nobody has said anything about it for sure.
    John,
    Correct a week ago Thursday was fine, last Thursday no good at all. I'm sure its even worse now.
    Colder weather coming around Wed or so.....
    Bk

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    John,
    Correct a week ago Thursday was fine, last Thursday no good at all. I'm sure its even worse now.
    Colder weather coming around Wed or so.....
    Bk
    I sure hope you're right, I have a lot of supplies to haul to my cabin, mainly food.
    JOHN

John,
    Give Yentna Station a call. Adam is hauling frieght for the last couple of days. They will have the good answer.

I just got off the river this afternoon. I came from above Yentna station and made it back to the landing. It was very wet out there and lots of overflow and slushy spot. The ice was still good at this point but a few new holes are developing. If you do go I don't think that you can make it with a trail bogon or a freight sled. I was riding a 4 stroke bearcat and wished I had my 800 2 inch paddle track. If anyone needs further info let me know as I have a friend still at my place and he was going to come out tomorrow or Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    John,
    Give Yentna Station a call. Adam is hauling frieght for the last couple of days. They will have the good answer.
    Thanks Spinner
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by marbs View Post
    I just got off the river this afternoon. I came from above Yentna station and made it back to the landing. It was very wet out there and lots of overflow and slushy spot. The ice was still good at this point but a few new holes are developing. If you do go I don't think that you can make it with a trail bogon or a freight sled. I was riding a 4 stroke bearcat and wished I had my 800 2 inch paddle track. If anyone needs further info let me know as I have a friend still at my place and he was going to come out tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Thanks, I have a bunch of supplies to haul out. I think I will give it a week or so.
    JOHN

Give it 2 weeks and you can use a boat.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Give it 2 weeks and you can use a boat.
    LOL, you might be right
    JOHN

Talked to Adam just a couple of minutes ago......he stashed his freight sleds at a cabin as he could get no further with them attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Talked to Adam just a couple of minutes ago......he stashed his freight sleds at a cabin as he could get no further with them attached.
    Thanks, I guess that means no travel for awhile. The future isn't looking to well either. I have 2 snowmachines and a freight sled full of supplies sitting here. ****, this has been one miserable Winter. Guess all I can do is sit and wait. Was his sleds full?
    JOHN

Empty...Coming back to Landing for another haul out. Normally he can switch to night ops and do alright but he said it was no better because of the amount of water. With cooling the next couple of days should firm everything back up.....to ROCK SOLID. I just drove my truck around my house and did not even dent what snow I have left.

My buddy came back this evening from my place on the yentna. He hauled out an empty freight sled and said that it was fine other than very, very rough. He said that he did break thru a bit of ice and splash thru some water but sounds like it got a lot better. He did tell me it was the roughest trip he has ever made with all of the troughs and frozen ice ridges. I am going this weekend for the day on saturday to retrieve my freight sleds. Give an update after I get back.

My friend Chris at Talvista Lodge called me this morning, said he came to Deshka yesterday and it was the roughest ride ever. I hear there is snow in the forecast, so, I will wait and see. The Tripod Trail is rough right now. Heard some guys hauling loaded freight sleds when it was warm rutted the trail.
    JOHN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast