Thread: Spiridon Lake Spring Brown Bear DB251

Default Spiridon Lake Spring Brown Bear DB251

Well I have searched through all the threads and every other possible web site and I am not finding a whole lot about this particular hunt. I did find out the forest service cabin burned down on little river lake and that there are some private cabins in Spiridon Bay but other than that not a whole lot. I would very much so appreciate any information anyone might have about this area. If you have been on this hunt or a deer hunt or fishing in the area anything helps. Lucky for me 14 months is plenty of time. Thanks for your time.

One call....John crye kodiak fish and game.
    One game plan....glass glass glass and wait wait wait. Don't go crazy or get impatient wait for the bear you want, hopefully it's not a puppy, that seems to be what the majority of residents tend to shoot, it's just s bear tag don't settle cause it's kodiak. There are big bears there, be patient a lot as much time as you can for it. Have a riot!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

thanks for the info. I am planning on taking my full 15 days. Not really sure about the area but im hoping to go light and move when and if I need. still trying to decide if I will go for the lake or the bay.

The kicker with brown bears is moving isn't always best. They move wayyyyy more than you do. Traveling spreads scent and makes it tougher. Sometimes just staying put is the best. Get somewhere you can see and wait wait.
    Master guide 212

Any other input out there? I would love to hear any stories or information anyone might have.

Talk to the guide, sometimes they are helpful, sometimes not so much. BRWNBR knows what he is talking about. Keep your scent in one spot. Find a place where you can see a lot of country to glass, sit, glass some more, wait, glass until dark. Pay attention to the wind, don't hunt up a canyon if the wind is blowing up the canyon. If you glass long enough eventyally a good bear will show up. You may want to talk to Rolan at Seahawk Air or the guys at Andrews Air to see where they have dropped people off.

Thanks for the info and the response. I am planning on using sea hawk air. I have heard nothing but good about Rolan. I really appreciate the info from yourself as well as BRWNBR. I can definitely tell you guys know your stuff. Thanks again.

No worries! Have a great hunt and try to not shoot a puppy!! Big bears are there but you won't get one pulling the trigger on a little one!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    No worries! Have a great hunt and try to not shoot a puppy!! Big bears are there but you won't get one pulling the trigger on a little one!
    One of my good buddies, long time guide here told me "The key to killing a BIG bear, don't shoot a little one"
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

He was wise....
    Master guide 212

And like looking at a big rack on a moose.........you know a big bear when you see it. You really don't have to ask yourself even when there's no other bears around to compare it to.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Sent my contact info in a pm

Sent you a pm. Recommend you contact Mike Munsey versus Kodiak biologists. Mike is a master guide that has lived in Uyak Bay his entire life. Normally has at least one client in that area each spring. His hunters pay in excess of $20k for his service so I'm confident he'll share info so you guys aren't stepping on each others toes next year....

A friend and I hunted that for bear 2013. Ill PM you and share what I can on the area

I have similar questions as elkarcher on this bear hunt. I am planning to hunt this area in late April 2017. My initial plan is to fly in on Spiridon Lake and camp out. I have a raft and an outboard to help get around the lake if we see something worth pursuing. If anyone has any tips or information I would like to hear them if you are willing to share. Thanks in advance.

I wouldnt worry about taking a motor. That lake isn't big enough to warrant the weight or headaches. The bears move out of the mountains and eventually down the valley. When we hunted that unit the lake was merely out base camp to leave the emergency gear and for pick up. You will want to move to where you can glass the ridges better and get them coming down.

My wife and I had that hunt years ago after a cold winter, and had to change our late-April plans last minute because Spiridon Lake ice was too "rotten" for skis, and too frozen for floats. Ended up going in on the salt instead. Just something to consider when checking with your transporter. Hopefully it's not an issue this year.

PM sent, have a great hunt!

I did that hunt in the spring of 2013. I can help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk