Thread: Registration Caribou 40 Mile Herd ?'s

Default Registration Caribou 40 Mile Herd ?'s

My wife, brother-in-law and his wife didn't draw anything, and we were talking about this hunt for the fall. Looking at the regs and if I understand them right, this is a registration hunt to apply for in August right before the opener, right? just trying to plan a few things out with a little bit of a higher % success.

This would be for up by Fairbanks likely.

thanks

Yep. Also look at Adak

The 40 mile is open right now and closes tonight at midnight. It's just a registration hunt you can download offline or pick up at f&g.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Yep. Also look at Adak
    If anyone is looking to hunt Adak for caribou, you might want to swing by and read through our Adak Caribou Hunting page. Lots of info there.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    The 40 mile is open right now and closes tonight at midnight. It's just a registration hunt you can download offline or pick up at f&g.
    I just looked that one up and it's for the winter hunt, figure for the fall since I drew a moose tag. thanks for the heads up.

You don't "apply" for that hunt. Just go online and fill in the form and you get a permit. The hunt is different every year seems like. All depends on where the bou are. Likely you will need a 4 wheeler to access animals off the road.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    You don't "apply" for that hunt. Just go online and fill in the form and you get a permit. The hunt is different every year seems like. All depends on where the bou are. Likely you will need a 4 wheeler to access animals off the road.
    Yeah I saw that once I went on ADFG site. Just wasnt really sure but I do appreciate all the advice from everyone. When it gets closer I do believe we will be going for it. Trying to get the kids to finish the Hunters ed so they cwsn do the shooting. A little responsibilty thing, you know!

Sounds like you will be applying for the registration permit RC860, available online on the ADF&G website beginning usually around Aug. 6-7. Also sounds like you'll be hunting in Zone 1, Steese Highway north of Fairbanks, heading out towards Central. This was a decent hunt this past year, MUCH more productive than Zone 3 Taylor Hwy grumble grumble... The hunt normally opens on Aug. 29th. This past year they pushed the opener back. So prepare for any time after Aug. 29th. Also, if the caribou are in decent numbers, expect the hunt to close after 48 hours. Which means be in position, camped by Aug. 28th, and ready to hunt the morning of Aug. 29th, with a closure possible by the 31st. 4 wheelers are defintely needed to get up into the hills and spread out from the masses of people traveling the Steese Highway. These are good hunts in beautiful terrain, good for family and kids. I've taken my young son several times. The road is decent, good for RVs and campers. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by kbskinny11 View Post
    Sounds like you will be applying for the registration permit RC860, available online on the ADF&G website beginning usually around Aug. 6-7. Also sounds like you'll be hunting in Zone 1, Steese Highway north of Fairbanks, heading out towards Central. This was a decent hunt this past year, MUCH more productive than Zone 3 Taylor Hwy grumble grumble... The hunt normally opens on Aug. 29th. This past year they pushed the opener back. So prepare for any time after Aug. 29th. Also, if the caribou are in decent numbers, expect the hunt to close after 48 hours. Which means be in position, camped by Aug. 28th, and ready to hunt the morning of Aug. 29th, with a closure possible by the 31st. 4 wheelers are defintely needed to get up into the hills and spread out from the masses of people traveling the Steese Highway. These are good hunts in beautiful terrain, good for family and kids. I've taken my young son several times. The road is decent, good for RVs and campers. Have fun
    Awesome! That's what I thought I heard about the timeframe. I am gonna take my kids so it should be a blast! Thanks!!!

I know its a little early for this but was wondering if anyone has staued at Upper Chatanika River State Recreation Site when on the Fortymile hunt? And if so, would a 36' camper fit there? Also, would this location be considered a good base camp?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    I know its a little early for this but was wondering if anyone has staued at Upper Chatanika River State Recreation Site when on the Fortymile hunt? And if so, would a 36' camper fit there? Also, would this location be considered a good base camp?

thanks
    Upper Chat is a nice little roadside campground but it's not very close to what I'd call caribou country.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Upper Chat is a nice little roadside campground but it's not very close to what I'd call caribou country.
    Would you have any suggestions of were I could stay that would be in a better area?

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    Would you have any suggestions of were I could stay that would be in a better area?
    About 60+ miles further up the road and anywhere you can find to park. It gets crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    About 60+ miles further up the road and anywhere you can find to park. It gets crowded.
    Cool thanks for the heads up!