Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Rings???

Default Ruger Rings???

I have a SS Hawkeye in 358W that came with #4 / #5 rings = medium height mounts...
    I mounted a Lupy 2x7x33 on it and am not 100% happy with my cheek/eye view. I am going to order a second identical scope and since I have room want to go to lower mounts. I see Ruger rings for the Hawkeye have the designation BHM after the number.
    Now here's the question, I do not see a #3 BHM listed - sooo, will the #3B work on a Hawkeye since I do not see a #3BHM listed???

Plan on getting the Lupy 2x7x33 LR model this time and mounting it and taking the one I have on it along for a backup on a Newfoundland moosey hunt in Oct...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

BHM is the designation for the finish. The ring will mount and work, it just won't match the finish.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

You might consider using the Quick Release rings on your Ruger. I carry my 44/77 with NO-Optic (when walk'about), but have the Leupold scope with QR rings in my survival pack, should it be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    You might consider using the Quick Release rings on your Ruger. I carry my 44/77 with NO-Optic (when walk'about), but have the Leupold scope with QR rings in my survival pack, should it be needed.
    AGL if I had open sights on this puppy I probably would but I doubt I carry my spare scope in the field so will probably be good with a screwdriver back at the camp if something goes haywire... I hope by sighting in and mounting a scope in a spare set of rings it will stay pretty close to zero if I have to swap it out!

Thanks Gun Bugs, I just ordered the scope and rings so new gear is on the way! I thought the bases looked pretty std and can live with blue rings on a SS gun - doubt the moose cares much?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Update:
    Right now I am soo pissed at Ruger! I rec'd my new 3 & 4 mount/ring combos yesterday and was excited to play with my new Lupy scope!
    So first I shot 2 rounds at 75 yds with the lupy that was on it mounted in medium 4 & 5 base and rings which was higher than I wanted..
    Removed the scope with mounts attached , then re-attached and fired 2 rounds to see how close it would be if I had to use my back up setup in the field remount.
    Well about 2 inches higher - a little disappointed, but I learned what I would experience and close enough to re-zero if I had xtra ammo... OK so far..
    Ran home and pulled the scope and went to work mounting new setup. Well, the f@#%*g screws are .33 they sent and only about one thread would catch. Grabbed the locktite after getting scope positioned then went carefully trying to lock down. Went great, broke off a new screwdriver bit in a screw head, couldn't get it out, knew the other screws were not long enough and finally ruined the one set of rings totally and scratched my new scope getting the POS off!
    I do not understand why they have to send such short screws. The original mounts that came with the gun has screws that were .46 and worked great! I have a LOT of patience and can go as long as 15 seconds before throwing stuff and this was one of those moments! Whoever gets me on the phone at Ruger Monday should be glad I have two days to cool off!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Update:
    Right now I am soo pissed at Ruger! I rec'd my new 3 & 4 mount/ring combos yesterday and was excited to play with my new Lupy scope!
    So first I shot 2 rounds at 75 yds with the lupy that was on it mounted in medium 4 & 5 base and rings which was higher than I wanted..
    Removed the scope with mounts attached , then re-attached and fired 2 rounds to see how close it would be if I had to use my back up setup in the field remount.
    Well about 2 inches higher - a little disappointed, but I learned what I would experience and close enough to re-zero if I had xtra ammo... OK so far..
    Ran home and pulled the scope and went to work mounting new setup. Well, the f@#%*g screws are .33 they sent and only about one thread would catch. Grabbed the locktite after getting scope positioned then went carefully trying to lock down. Went great, broke off a new screwdriver bit in a screw head, couldn't get it out, knew the other screws were not long enough and finally ruined the one set of rings totally and scratched my new scope getting the POS off!
    I do not understand why they have to send such short screws. The original mounts that came with the gun has screws that were .46 and worked great! I have a LOT of patience and can go as long as 15 seconds before throwing stuff and this was one of those moments! Whoever gets me on the phone at Ruger Monday should be glad I have two days to cool off!
    Shucky Gee, Smokey:

I do stuff like that alla time. Just ask Andy. NO, don't. He's not spose to tell.

I can't figger why you want lower rings. Other than looks, that is. I've always found higher mounted scopes to be more comfortable, and easier to see through.

Plus, they effectively make for a flatter trajectory.

Oh Well, rings are cheap. Not inexpensive, but cheap????

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

[QUOTE=Smitty of the North;1464224]Shucky Gee, Smokey:

I do stuff like that alla time. Just ask Andy. NO, don't. He's not spose to tell.

I can't figger why you want lower rings. Other than looks, that is. I've always found higher mounted scopes to be more comfortable, and easier to see through.

SOTN[/QUOTE

Smitty, everything would be fine if they had just put in long enough screws.. I can never understand why most ring mfgs use screws that are too short. In a heavy recoiling rifle I want all the thread contact that's reasonable...
    Now for the fit, low mounts always feel better to me and they should be better for trajectory than the higher ones? I think you have it backwards...

[QUOTE=Smokey;1464239]
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Shucky Gee, Smokey:

SOTN[/QUOTE

Smitty, everything would be fine if they had just put in long enough screws.. I can never understand why most ring mfgs use screws that are too short. In a heavy recoiling rifle I want all the thread contact that's reasonable...
    Now for the fit, low mounts always feel better to me and they should be better for trajectory than the higher ones? I think you have it backwards...
    Like the OP said, he wants more cheek weld to the stock and scope closer the the bore of rifle. Faster getting on target. Just like shooting a shotgun. You raise off the comb of the stock you will miss the bird. I put low Alaskan Arms quick detach rings on my Ruger Hawkeye 375 Guide Gun so my Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm would fit lower. Works very well

Does anyone know what thread/pitch Ruger uses on their ring sets? They look like 6 - 40 to me...

Thanks for the tip 700X they are pretty proud of those mounts at $150.00 ouch!

They are 6-40. Ruger tends towards coarser pitches than are usually found in the industry.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    They are 6-40. Ruger tends towards coarser pitches than are usually found in the industry.
    Thx Gunbugs, when this set is closed they mic at .94 - I checked 4 sets of Leupold rings I had laying around and they ran right at .97
    so the Ruger rings don't set down as tight - thus they run out of thread with the screws they sent...

Does anyone know what thread/pitch Ruger uses on their ring sets? They look like 6 - 40 to me...

Thanks for the tip 700X they are pretty proud of those mounts at $150.00 ouch!
    They are well worth the cost. They go back to same POA after scope being removed. They guarantee satisfaction. Ring have excellent warranty. Sturdy ring set up. Well worth money spent in my eyes.

[/QUOTE
    Now for the fit, low mounts always feel better to me and they should be better for trajectory than the higher ones? I think you have it backwards... [/QUOTE]

I didn't get it backwards, Smokey:

I have a clear explanation in an old NRA FACT BOOK.

The scope height has an effect on the trajectory measurement from the Sight Line. Therefore, it makes a practical difference to the shooter.

We tabulate trajectory height from a line from the muzzle to the target. As taken from the line of sight, the trajectory height is seen to be less.

With a higher Sight Line, your bullet crosses the "Line of Sight" the First Time farther away, and the midrange height is less. For a flat shooting rifle, it can be a lot less.

I'm Sorry. I didn't mean to change the subject, I was just trying to make you feel better.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I think there are pros and cons to pushing your point blank zero farther down range as Smitty's alluding to. And there's a potential additional twist (pun): I believe the higher the scope above the bore, the more likely the shooter may be to introduce cant error, and the more significant any such introduced cant error will be. No? http://www.riflescopelevel.com/cant_errors.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Smitty and Iofthetaga you both have valid input on this.
    I think one would have to be shooting some VERY long range targets that were also very small to warrant raising a scope above a better cheek weld level.. I think for 99% of real life hunting ranges it is more important for the shooter the achieve the best site picture possible with a secure cheek weld.
    Smitty you must have plump cheeks if'n the high mounts fit ya better - I like to really "get down" on the stock. The Ruger Hawkeye has a very scrawny poly buttstock also vs other rifles I have... With the medium mounts I find myself searching around too much for the best sight picture... Kinda like Ole EKC searching for one of his many lost cell phones I reckon

Smitty and Iofthetaga you both have valid input on this.
    I think one would have to be shooting some VERY long range targets that were also very small to warrant raising a scope above a better cheek weld level.. I think for 99% of real life hunting ranges it is more important for the shooter the achieve the best site picture possible with a secure cheek weld.
    Smitty you must have plump cheeks if'n the high mounts fit ya better - I like to really "get down" on the stock. The Ruger Hawkeye has a very scrawny poly buttstock also vs other rifles I have... With the medium mounts I find myself searching around too much for the best sight picture... Kinda like Ole EKC searching for one of his many lost cell phones I reckon
    Smokey:
    We can't all have Movie Star faces like you and EKC.

If you have high trajectory to begin with, mounting the scope a little bit higher doesn't accomplish much. It's with flat shooting cartridges where raising the scope can be an advantage.

If I have to hug the stock reely tight, and lean my head forward, raise my shoulder as high as possible, and look through my eyebrows to see through the scope, (when the stock is place on my shoulder at the correct position), to see thorough my scope, I find that uncomfortable.

This is why I love the Weatherby style stocks with the raised comb and cheekpiece. I can shut my eyes, put the rifle to my shoulder, and open my eyes and see through the scope. I have plenty of cheek weld with that scope design. Both my Rem. 700s have a raised comb and cheekpiece, and they fit me fine too.

AND, my 30-30 Target Rifle has a raised comb. With these rifles I don't have to "get down" on the stock. My head and neck are pretty straight, AND COMFORTABLE.

I'm GUESSING that the Hawkeye has a little more drop than you're used to. With some folks, a straighter stock actually REQUIRES that you "really get down" on your stock.

Have you ever seen anyone shoot their rifle, and notice that only the lower portion, or tip of the butt is on their shoulder? Their putting it on their shoulder to where they can see through the scope best, but that results in the butt not being properly on their shoulder, and their felt recoil is just that. Really FELT.

When I see that, I surmise, it is because their stock is too straight, or their scope is too low. At least, more drop would make it easier, and a higher mounted scope would too.

Think about how much higher your eye is than your shoulder, and the contortions you have to go through to align your eyeball with the scope.

A high mounted scope sometimes looks awkward and top heavy. Less compact if you will, and maybe not so well balanced, but IMO, function is more important.

I don't notice much difference in Low and Medium height scope mounts. (I use only Weaver Style)

I'm just trying to explain why I think that mounting a scope as LOW as possible is not always a good thing.

Well, I hope that the lower scope mounts will be the solution you're lookin for.

Smitty the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I think there are pros and cons to pushing your point blank zero farther down range as Smitty's alluding to. And there's a potential additional twist (pun): I believe the higher the scope above the bore, the more likely the shooter may be to introduce cant error, and the more significant any such introduced cant error will be. No? http://www.riflescopelevel.com/cant_errors.html
    It COULD push your zero farther downrange, to where the highest point in the trajectory is farther away. OR, the highest point could be less, which might be more desirable for a Varmint Shooter.

I can't wade through all that scientific sounding stuff in your link but I think it said that a higher mounted scope could exacerbate cant because the higher scope would be moved more out of line, so to speak.

HOWEVER, or just make it "however", we hold correctly by sight, or Visually. (If we don't have onna their LEVELS.) Example, sight radius.

Visually speaking or eye balling, I'm thinking it would be easier to visualize and correct the cant with the higher mounted scope.

Remember, these Long-Shot Products folks must surely be E'VILL Capitalists, and all they wanna do is SELL LEVELS. Therefore, their motives for sharing their theory is suspect.

Nonetheless, I deal with these kinda folks alla time. I've toyed with the idea of purchasing a Level that I could attach to a rifle to see if I could shoot smaller groups. I would want one that I could see outta the corner of my eye, from my shooting position.

Canting might explain why groups are left or right of where they were last time I sighted in the rifle.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Nonetheless, I deal with these kinda folks alla time. I've toyed with the idea of purchasing a Level that I could attach to a rifle to see if I could shoot smaller groups. I would want one that I could see outta the corner of my eye, from my shooting position.

Canting might explain why groups are left or right of where they were last time I sighted in the rifle.

Smitty of the North
    I only posted that particular link because I thought they did a pretty good job of explaining the geometry involved with the cant error issue. I have no connection to, nor did I intend to give the impression that I was endorsing, whatever company or product is associated (I don't know and didn't look). But if you're looking for a spirit level, or anti-cant level, or whatever they're being called, I think David Tubb offers a pretty nice one.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I only posted that particular link because I thought they did a pretty good job of explaining the geometry involved with the cant error issue. I have no connection to, nor did I intend to give the impression that I was endorsing, whatever company or product is associated (I don't know and didn't look). But if you're looking for a spirit level, or anti-cant level, or whatever they're being called, I think David Tubb offers a pretty nice one.
    Thanks. It was just my attempt at humor.

Spirit Level is it?

I'll check'em out.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

If'n I get a critter hiding behind a tree, I just cant the gun sum and whip that bullet right around the obstacle - works great!

Called Ruger today and they said no problem replacing the mounts as long as I send them in. I can supply longer screws so maybe in a few days I can play again with my toy - weather is predicted to improve - had 8 inches of snow Sat/Sun and teens for temps... Ready for some upper 30's to upper 40's - it has been a very cold snowy winter for us - set a lot of records...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast