Thread: Hypothermia and cold injuries

Default Hypothermia and cold injuries

http://griddownmed.com/2015/02/21/hy...cold-injuries/

This is a subject worth investing some time and study. It has been my experience that hypothermia is easy to spot in someone else, but difficult to acknowledge and accept when I have hypothermia. It is a very seductive killer, very seductive.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    http://griddownmed.com/2015/02/21/hy...cold-injuries/

This is a subject worth investing some time and study. It has been my experience that hypothermia is easy to spot in someone else, but difficult to acknowledge and accept when I have hypothermia. It is a very seductive killer, very seductive.
    At the behest of an old timer who gave me advice, I have made a contract with myself regarding what I will do when I am cold and tired and want to rest. It's hard to acknowledge "hypothermia" but it's not hard to acknowledge that I've met the terms of my contract.

So, when I'm cold and tired and I want to sit down and rest, my contract is thus. I will eat some of the candy that I have in my emergency kit. I will make sure that I am wearing all of my clothing. I will walk, in circles if need be, until I am almost ready to start sweating. If at all possible, I will gather firewood will doing these walks. I will start a fire at all costs, even if it means burning something valuable to help start it. I will build a shelter.

Only after doing all of the above will I let myself rest. I've even put it all on a card that I carry in my survival kit.

Only once have I had to trigger the contract, and I don't know if it saved my life or not, but I do know that my perspective on the situation changed significantly after eating the candy and working up a bit of a sweat. It all seemed rather hopeless before that. After that, I was able to do the things I needed to do to make it through the night.