Thread: Crown Mountain Blacktails

Default Crown Mountain Blacktails

My buddy drew DG472 and I plan to go with him and help out with his goat hunt. I also hope to bag a blacktail while there on Kodiak. Can anyone give me any insight on what to expect for deer sightings in that area?

There are plenty of deer in that area. If you are hiking in from Kasheveroff, you'll be watching them stot away from you.

I came into that area from the north (Kizuyak) a few years ago, didn't quite make it to Crown; but many deer were in there.
    We were goat hunting in September--with decent weather in the evenings (and mornings) the deer would be thick just above the pucker brush line feeding in the open.
    Glass 'em good for that nice buck. We passed on the deer given we had many miles into our unit 471. It's a fun hunt, but tough.

I'll be on the other side this year at Terror Lake goat hunting. Hopefully landing right on one of the lakes. Plan to actually hunt and take some deer given we'll get off (hopefully) via floats. I do plan on building and taking a nice oversize skateboard to pull out deer and a goat to the salt via the Terror Lake road if necessary.
    Something like this, but with articulating front wheels and a wider stance with more base for the meat.
    The other advantage of getting to the salt is the crazy pink fishery there in the bay. Would be a fun day of fishing.

Sorry for the ramble, pumped to be going...
    Proud to be an American!

I had Crown mountain goat last year, and surprisingly we did not see many deer. (5 in 5 days). We saw most of them in Wild creek, we saw 0 up high where we got my goat. But again we did not hike up Wild creek very far (2.5 miles). It was bright and sunny 3 of us glassing. That was October 5th. Roland from Seahawk said its not the best deer hunting right there. But, they have legs, could be chock full this year.

sounds like you just described a wagon

Yes kinda...but I can't imagine strapping an actual wagon to my pack.
    Proud to be an American!

There have been some top quality deer come
    Out if that area in the past. Last two winters have been good. Could be deer in there. You only wanted one right?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    The other advantage of getting to the salt is the crazy pink fishery there in the bay. Would be a fun day of fishing.
    When do the pinks typically run there? Any silvers?

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    There have been some top quality deer come
    Out if that area in the past. Last two winters have been good. Could be deer in there. You only wanted one right?
    One would be fine. I haven't hunted blacktails since an Admiralty Island excursion in 1990. I've been dying to go to Kodiak for the first time.

Dropped into the Bay with Seahawk (Roland is first class) around the last week of August to hike in, the creeks were thick with fish and bears were everywhere on them. Hiked back out the end of the first week of September and the bay was nuts with jumping pinks. I'm assuming they were pinks... they didn't look quite large enough to be coho...
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Dropped into the Bay with Seahawk (Roland is first class) around the last week of August to hike in, the creeks were thick with fish and bears were everywhere on them. Hiked back out the end of the first week of September and the bay was nuts with jumping pinks. I'm assuming they were pinks... they didn't look quite large enough to be coho...
    Sounds great. We were contemplating going in early Oct. I hope fish are still running then.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    There are plenty of deer in that area. If you are hiking in from Kasheveroff, you'll be watching them stot away from you.
    Sure you're not thinking of Center....Crown is a really good hike from Kash.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

yeah....I was thinking of center. Crown is all rock.

It would be a cool hike tho
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts