Thread: Drew Tags DM 769 and DC 483

Default Drew Tags DM 769 and DC 483

Hello everyone,

Well I have a serious question, I put in for draw tags, same as I have done since I moved here to Fairbanks. Well, I drew two and now it is time for serious homework.

Currently my wife and I just purchased a home, so the big ticket toys are out for this season, so exploring my options to get into DM769 to give moose a shot, I am in the military and in decent shape, and have a fair amount of time to get my rucking legs back so that is not my major concern, getting across the river is. The caribou in DC 483 are not as much of a worry, and I have more time to sweet talk a 4 wheeler out of the wife.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Josh

p.s.

We are planning on staying in Alaska for the long term, so any info is not for the short term, but for the long haul.

With regards to 483, don't sweat it if you can't manage an ATV by then. There are plenty of areas in there to walk in and find lots of elbow room. In fact, that is my preferred approach in that area.

I drew dm 769 also in military no that area extensively need a partner plan on taking leave 10- 25. Got the boat wheeler and everything you need

Quote Originally Posted by joshbayles View Post
    Hello everyone,

Well I have a serious question, I put in for draw tags, same as I have done since I moved here to Fairbanks. Well, I drew two and now it is time for serious homework.

Currently my wife and I just purchased a home, so the big ticket toys are out for this season, so exploring my options to get into DM769 to give moose a shot, I am in the military and in decent shape, and have a fair amount of time to get my rucking legs back so that is not my major concern, getting across the river is. The caribou in DC 483 are not as much of a worry, and I have more time to sweet talk a 4 wheeler out of the wife.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Josh

p.s.

We are planning on staying in Alaska for the long term, so any info is not for the short term, but for the long haul.
    Let me know if you want to partner

I gotta agree with Brian.... I hunt the DC483 area regularly and have taken a pile of caribou on foot.

You'll find in that area a wheeler is more a PITA than anything else if you can walk a half mile- I wouldn't lose any sleep over that one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Looks like it will be hard to beat Dakota Boy's offer.

I drew that area myself. I haven't hunted there for more than 30 years. I guess I better go do a little scouting. Anyone been up clear creek in the last few years? Is that area hunted out these days? Used to work my way up that in the old days past where a jet boat could go. But that was before some of these modern jet boats. So I'm not sure if I even want to hunt it even though I have the permit. It's going to take at least one mid-summer trip I think.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Clear creak and salchaket depend on time by late season it's pretty packed on high water years you can get your boat far enough up to clear some crowds

There's moose all over I that area though and with not more cow permits not as many people

It is becoming a very difficult hunt though

Dakota Boy,

That sounds like a great offer that I cannot refuse. I tried PMing you but had no luck. Will try again later in the day.

Josh

Dakota Boy,

That sounds like a great offer that I cannot refuse. I tried PMing you but had no luck. Will try again later in the day.

Josh
    Josh- you need a higher post count to PM... one of the admins can square that away for you.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Dakota Boy,

Josh
    Sounds good

Here is my email. josh.bayles@gmail.com. Have been busy all day wrangling the kids, and putting away there rooms.

Josh

Josh, you should be good to go on sending and receiving PMs now.

thanks Brian.

Hope the best to you guys Hunted that area a lot, thanks to the adfg idiot bio. we use to have 18000 moose over there and with the anterless hunts over there you will be lucky to see any thing. they had antlerless hunts that went clear in to feb and since the big bull lose there horn in dec they shot alot of big bulls out there beside cows and calf's, Know if were lucky there might be 10000 out there. But if you hunt that area be ready to shot wolfs and grizzlies. Hopefully before the moose are gone they hire some one that know how to manage moose bears and wolfs.

There were cow moose hunts in 20A this month? I have a feeling the moose are going to do very well this winter with the low snow and warm temps, so I think the numbers will keep rising this year. Because of the low snow, it is my understanding that Fish and Game wasn't able to do their annual aerial survey's.

Had a buddy with an airboat last year that could not find a legal bull, but saw dozens of sub legal bulls. We saw good sign this winter while snowmachining out there. In my opinion it's not as gloom and doom as Skip mentioned, and I think the bio's did a decent job managing, but they might have shut down the cow hunts a year late. They hardly had any of the areas open for cows in 2013-2014 and none in 2014-2015.

I draw this tag this year and was looking for someone that may know about the Blair Lakes area? Planning on flying in and footing from there because of the limited access to the area. Anyone thoughts? Thanks for any help.