Thread: Varget for 25-06

Default Varget for 25-06

Anyone using Varget to reload 25-06? I have found a little bit of info on the interwebs but nothing published for 115 grain boolits. I don't mind buying some other powders but I have a metric f-ton of varget I need to use.

Bullet Nosler Partition
    BulletWeight 100 grs
    Powder Hodgdon Varget
    PowderWeight 44 grs
    Primer Remington 9 1/2
    Brass Make Remington
    Barrel Length 24 (inches)
    C.O.L 3.2 (inches)
    Velocity 3125 fps
    Group (inches by 3 shot at 100 yds)
    Submitted Date 2/5/2003 3:19:00 AM
    Submitted By
    Gun Info
    Comment
    Energy 2164 ft-lbs
    TKO 11.16
    OGW 458 lbs
    IPSC PF 312.5

What are you wanting to hunt. Besides if you have that much develope a round that your rifle likes.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Anyone using Varget to reload 25-06? I have found a little bit of info on the interwebs but nothing published for 115 grain boolits. I don't mind buying some other powders but I have a metric f-ton of varget I need to use.
    Varget is not a good match for the 25/06. That's not to say that you can't use it, but that you are going to find that you're velocity is going to be along the lines of a .257 Roberts. If you think you need to use Varget with the 25/06 anyways, then I'd suggest sticking with bullets of 100 grains and less as you'll find much better performance than with the heavier bullets.

Varget is an okay powder for other cartridges, but its burn rate is simply too fast to perform best in the 25/06. I've loaded the 25/06 for years and Reloader 22/MRP, Reloader 25, IMR/H 4831, IMR 7828 all perform exceptionally well in it. IMR/H 4350 is okay, but you'll be giving up 100 fps with most loads compared with these other powders. Varget is going to yield even less velocity than 4350 and that would have me inevitably reaching for another powder.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Varget is not a good match for the 25/06. That's not to say that you can't use it, but that you are going to find that you're velocity is going to be along the lines of a .257 Roberts. If you think you need to use Varget with the 25/06 anyways, then I'd suggest sticking with bullets of 100 grains and less as you'll find much better performance than with the heavier bullets.

Varget is an okay powder for other cartridges, but its burn rate is simply too fast to perform best in the 25/06. I've loaded the 25/06 for years and Reloader 22/MRP, Reloader 25, IMR/H 4831, IMR 7828 all perform exceptionally well in it. IMR/H 4350 is okay, but you'll be giving up 100 fps with most loads compared with these other powders. Varget is going to yield even less velocity than 4350 and that would have me inevitably reaching for another powder.
    Agree with Cor, mostly. Varget is too fast for the 25-06. I found the best performance shooting 115 CT's using RL17 in both accuracy and velocity. Oddly, Retumbo, a much slower powder was next. 4350 and RL17 are very close n burn rate.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    If there's no data for Varget with 115 grain bullets, then it's probably just too fast for the application. If it were me, I would just hang on to the Varget and use it for something else. Besides, it's not like it's going to spoil if you don't use it right away.

All of my load development for .25-06 has been with the slower burners.......RS Hunter, IMR 4831, VV N-165, Norma MRP and Norma 204.

My rifle didn't particularly like RS Hunter. IMR 4831 was okay when I stopped using Speer bullets. N-165 turned out to be a good back-up as well MRP.

But Norma 204 is magic fairy dust.
    Now what ?

I found my 25-06 liked 4350 for 100 grains and less and 4831 for 115 and up.
    Varget is easy too fast mate.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk