Thread: Muzzleloader Bullet for Brown/Grizzly Bear

Default Muzzleloader Bullet for Brown/Grizzly Bear

What bullet would you use? I shoot a .50 caliber Omega.

Been looking at 250-340 grains in Barnes, Swift, Precision Dead Center and Hornady MonoFlex.

Appreciate the responses.

I have taken several bears using Hornady 325 FTXs.

Entry

Exit

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Just ordered my first Muzzleloader. A CVA Accura V2, and I have been trying to figure out what bullet and powder/pellets to shoot for Moose and Bear.

Guess you folks didnt get the memo that you have to have a minimum of a 3200 muzzle velocity out of your super magnum to take a Alaska bear?

Interesting you mention the 325 gr FTX bullet. This is one I was thinking about. I am going to get some and work up a load. Thanks for the recommendation!

Do not overlook a lead hard cast LFN(Large Flat Nose) style bullet. Muzzleloaders are similar to the large hunting revolvers often preferred when using a pistol to hunt big dangerous game. Both muzzleloaders and pistols are similar in that they are relatively low velocity compared to centerfire rifles and any bullet that expands sacrifices the ability to penetrate and break bone even when exiting on the far side. The ability to break bone like shoulders and making two holes are considered by many to be critical characteristics in a dangerous game bullet. There's my .02. Another line of thinking to investigate. Happy hunting...for bullets and bears.

Hadn't even thought of those. I'll do a little checking and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hey Stid... were those browns/grizzlies. If so could you give me a Cliff Notes of how big the bears were, number of shots, how far after the shot, etc; Thanks!

I personally wouldn't consider anything other than Barnes for a brown bear hunt.......assuming they shoot well for you. The all copper bullets retain 100% of their mass which leads to increased penetration. If you don't have the velocity then you really must have a decently heavy bullet with good weight retention for penetration.

Brett

I used Barnes Expander MZ on a muzzy UT elk hunt a couple years ago. It took lots of practice but with a 1x dot scope I shot a nice bull at 218 yards . It still took 2 shots to put him down. I'm pretty sure the muzz velocity was something like 2,000 fps. If my memory is correct it only dropped around 10" at 200 yards which is pretty remarkable. These are sabots which don't drop near as far as non-sabots. I'm not sure what the regs are for where you are hunting but there is a definite advantage with sabots!

I appreciate all of the input and suggestions! Thank you.