Thread: Delta Sheep Hunt help

Default Delta Sheep Hunt help

Ok so the draw results came out and the wife and I drew DS203 sheep tags for the Delta area. This is our first time drawing a tag and we could really use some pointers. We are both really excited and hope to fill at least one of the tags.

bahahahahahahaha

....I feel like this is a joke. Right?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...phunting.delta

The above link is a very good place to start. There are lots of ways to do this hunt - some sheep can be found with ~5 miles of the road, while other areas may require a ~20 mile approach hike. Sheep numbers are good and your odds of finding a legal ram are solid - the primary variables will be your fitness and the weather. Managing two rams might be a tall order, as you'd be hard pressed to pack two plus your gear out of there, but it has been done. Good luck to you!

Brian--I think you took some bait there. Name of "Tightlywound1" and 1 post. Pretty sure someone is trolling....

Brian thanks for the reply already read everything on the adfg site and several other sites. We really weren't expecting to get this one it was a last minute suggestion from a buddy to try for. really pissed him off since he had been trying for 20 years. The main issue we are going to have is the wife broke her pelvis while in the marine corps so long hikes are out of the questions and I will be packing most of the weight for us. Mainly we are trying to decide whether to fly into the strip on Johnson river or drive in and walk from the road.

Quote Originally Posted by tightlywound1 View Post
    was a last minute suggestion from a buddy to try for. really pissed him off since he had been trying for 20 years. The main issue we are going to have is the wife broke her pelvis while in the marine corps so long hikes are out of the questions and I will be packing most of the weight for us. Mainly we are trying to decide whether to fly into the strip on Johnson river or drive in and walk from the road.
    Sounds like you should invite your buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by tightlywound1 View Post
    Brian thanks for the reply already read everything on the adfg site and several other sites. We really weren't expecting to get this one it was a last minute suggestion from a buddy to try for. really pissed him off since he had been trying for 20 years. The main issue we are going to have is the wife broke her pelvis while in the marine corps so long hikes are out of the questions and I will be packing most of the weight for us. Mainly we are trying to decide whether to fly into the strip on Johnson river or drive in and walk from the road.

Fly,, and better call now to book.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I was successful in 2013 and my twin sister-in-laws drew a party tag so I may be back in there this year. Don't have any great honey hole secrets, but I'm happy to discuss ideas with you!

If you've searched this website, PM some of the guys that posted regarding their hunts. Very generous guys. I drew but can't help you since a medical problem prevented me from hunting. Call the game bio for the area.

Lots of pictures in a link on my signature block.

Hinkwink I read your blog and learned a lot one of the main issues we have is trying to get time around my work schedule. I am trying to take a week of leave from the army. We are planning on going in aug 7 or 8thand hunting for the first 5 days of the season. We are looking at the area on the other side of the delta river and also around the jagged boulder plateau area. We have decided to walk in since the fly option most likely wont work with my work. We are working on our gear list right now and have started getting it all together.

My buddy drew this tag in 2013 and I went with him on the trip. I think we both found out that the Alaska Range is really hard on your gear and that maybe we underestimated the difficulty of the hunt a little. I broke both of my cheap aluminum trekking poles in one or two days and my trusty old North Face tent was seriously put through the ringer throughout the hunt. I don't know how hard it blew the first night, but it was hard enough to flatten the tent on us more than several times. The rain fly ripped in two places and the poles were bent to the point where I thought they might break if I tried to straighten them too much. We did see a number of sheep, but we had to hunt hard to fill the tag on day 7.

So next time, when I draw the tag , I'm going to be upgrading some of my gear to hopefully have a little more comfortable hunt if nothing else.
    Alpine is awesome...

If you are hiking up any of the creeks on the west side of the Delta River, bring a razor sharp machete. If you need practice using a machete I have a couple acres of alder at my cabin that you would be welcome to come practice on.

Seriously, there are quite a number of trails in that area, but many of them are quite overgrown. Knowing how to use a sharp and well weighted machete is a really valuable skill in that area, and you'll be quite thankful you did some clearing when you are hiking back down the creek with a full pack.