Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maw withdraws

Default Maw withdraws

http://m.peninsulaclarion.com/news/2...name#gsc.tab=0

Wonder if he will go back to being ucida ' s executive director

That's a shame. I don't know all there is to know about the man, but he was clearly qualified and clearly did not get a fair shake from some legislators (including my own).

I'm thinking when Chenault was quoted as saying he was only one vote in the legislature, it set the groundwork. Not much support when a political local doesn't spend some capitol on pushing for his confirmation. That and a few well placed e-mails from yours truly and I am sure others, probably didn't help his cause either. All I can say is... Next!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I won't wade too far into this debate, but recall that the Gov is still the Gov. He, and he alone, decides who to nominate to the BoF (and any other Board). The next person nominated could be even less desirable to the specific interest group that shot down the previous nomination. The fact is, only the Gov can nominate. And if one interest group believes they can shoot down anyone and everyone they don't like, they seriously overplay their political hand, and overestimate their political capital.

And it won't be the first time that's happened. So be careful what you wish for.......

Good Point Co. It is up to the Gov but I'm thinking someone from the subsistence community would be a good choice. JIMO. I don't claim to have political capitol, per say, but I'm sure others do. I just speak my mind and have some other Alaskans that completely agree with me. Many Legislatures pander to their voting block and that is where it is at, from the Governor on down. That is our collective system. I use it to my advantage because that is how the game is played. As for your statement, I don't believe just one specific group had a hand in this, I'm thinking many. Good luck to Dr. Maw though, at any rate.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    I won't wade too far into this debate, but recall that the Gov is still the Gov. He, and he alone, decides who to nominate to the BoF (and any other Board). The next person nominated could be even less desirable to the specific interest group that shot down the previous nomination. The fact is, only the Gov can nominate. And if one interest group believes they can shoot down anyone and everyone they don't like, they seriously overplay their political hand, and overestimate their political capital.

And it won't be the first time that's happened. So be careful what you wish for.......
    What do you mean that a special interest group shot Maw down? Are you nuts? You will soon learn that Maw is under investigation for many wrongdoings. Like claiming to be a resident of Montana and getting resident hunt and fish licenses for the past few years, collecting a PFD when enjoying the benefits of being a resident of another state, claiming to be a resident of another state at the same time as getting a dip net permit for the Kenai. And more! He will be radio active and won't be touched by anyone. The Governor made a huge mistake by not taking more time in considering who to replace the judge with. He has egg on his face and it will be remembered forever. For all of you out there that sang Maws praises, i think that you know how he let you down and how wrong you were for going out of your way to malign those who warned you about how Maw was unfit for the job. The seven members,( remember , all seven) of the BOF knew what everyone now knows or are about to know, including the Governor, about Maw. This is among the worst screw ups that any Governor has made in the history of appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That's a shame. I don't know all there is to know about the man, but he was clearly qualified and clearly did not get a fair shake from some legislators (including my own).
    Brian: I believe that you might want to reconsider your statements. Particularly the part where you claim Maw not getting a fair shake from the legislature after you read exactly why Maw withdrew his name. Media is going to come alive with information showing Maw has engaged in illegal activity including claiming to be a resident of Montana where he got resident hunting and fishing licenses while at the same time enjoying the benefits of alaska Resident permits for dip netting, perhaps resident hunting and fishing. and the clincher will be when it is shown that he received PFDs during the years he claimed to be a resident of Montana. Remember that part of the PFD application that one must sign under oath that asks if you have received a resident benefit from any other state? What do you thing it means when you sign the affidavit at the end after you say that you have not received a benefit from another state or claimed residency from another state.

Quote Originally Posted by Questairtoo View Post
    What do you mean that a special interest group shot Maw down? Are you nuts? You will soon learn that Maw is under investigation for many wrongdoings. Like claiming to be a resident of Montana and getting resident hunt and fish licenses for the past few years, collecting a PFD when enjoying the benefits of being a resident of another state, claiming to be a resident of another state at the same time as getting a dip net permit for the Kenai. And more! He will be radio active and won't be touched by anyone. The Governor made a huge mistake by not taking more time in considering who to replace the judge with. He has egg on his face and it will be remembered forever. For all of you out there that sang Maws praises, i think that you know how he let you down and how wrong you were for going out of your way to malign those who warned you about how Maw was unfit for the job. The seven members,( remember , all seven) of the BOF knew what everyone now knows or are about to know, including the Governor, about Maw. This is among the worst screw ups that any Governor has made in the history of appointments.
    The issue of residency just came out and was not known by anyone until a few days ago. If it had been known it would have been in the paper and on the blogs. The anti-Maw groups would have made sure of that. Also, you are quoting information that may not be true. I talked with Dr. Maw this morning and he has made a huge mistake but the timing of what happened and when helps explain part of it. Montana has different residency requirements than Alaska for declaring residency and he is not sure what all the issues are. I know he will go to the Montana protection officers and work with them to clear this up. I am not defending him as I am sure violations have been made in one State or the other. I suspect not in Alaska but in Montana with the hunting license issue. You can change residency in any given year if you want and not be illegal in either State depending on their State regulations. So until charges are filed you have no idea Questairtoo what the truth is or is not and neither do I.

Yes this is a shock and disappointment to those of us who thought he would serve the State well on the BOF. But make no mistake about it Questairtoo you had no idea about the residency issue and you warned us about how unfit he was based on what - not this issue but your personal opinion. The BOF members had no idea about this at the time of their vote so saying that they had some indication of this is just not correct. I do not believe any BOF member said anything other than the law suit and Dr. Maw dislike of some members of the Board. Vetting of individuals is important and the Gov should have taken more time to check things out. However, if the BOF members knew then when the Gov talked to them and specifically Chairman Johnstone I would have assumed that the Chairman would have told the Gov the specifics and the reason he voted not to interview Dr. Maw.

In any case the State is not going to suffer from this or the Gov as most people are focused on oil, jobs, gas lines, and social services. Fish are not a major issue for the average citizen and most probably do not know who Dr. Maw even is. The Gov is not guilty by association and neither is anyone who supported him. Just for the record Ouestairtoo the resource committee did not even know about this and had hearings scheduled for today. So lets be honest in the discussion. This caught everyone by surprise.

Finally, I have known Dr. Maw for years and believe him to be a good person who has faults like everyone else. We all make mistakes and have done stuff that we regret. It is called being human. We forgive if we are good people and let the system deal out the consequences for inappropriate actions. I hope you are that type of person Questairtoo and not someone who relishes the demise of another human being. I feel for Dr. Maw as his overall career is tarnished by a foolish error of judgement. Something that would not have happened if he had just said no to being a public servant and not subjected to the vile nature of Alaska fisheries allocation wars. It was ugly before this revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    The issue of residency just came out and was not known by anyone until a few days ago. If it had been known it would have been in the paper and on the blogs. The anti-Maw groups would have made sure of that. Also, you are quoting information that may not be true. I talked with Dr. Maw this morning and he has made a huge mistake but the timing of what happened and when helps explain part of it. Montana has different residency requirements than Alaska for declaring residency and he is not sure what all the issues are. I know he will go to the Montana protection officers and work with them to clear this up. I am not defending him as I am sure violations have been made in one State or the other. I suspect not in Alaska but in Montana with the hunting license issue. You can change residency in any given year if you want and not be illegal in either State depending on their State regulations. So until charges are filed you have no idea Questairtoo what the truth is or is not and neither do I.

Yes this is a shock and disappointment to those of us who thought he would serve the State well on the BOF. But make no mistake about it Questairtoo you had no idea about the residency issue and you warned us about how unfit he was based on what - not this issue but your personal opinion. The BOF members had no idea about this at the time of their vote so saying that they had some indication of this is just not correct. I do not believe any BOF member said anything other than the law suit and Dr. Maw dislike of some members of the Board. Vetting of individuals is important and the Gov should have taken more time to check things out. However, if the BOF members knew then when the Gov talked to them and specifically Chairman Johnstone I would have assumed that the Chairman would have told the Gov the specifics and the reason he voted not to interview Dr. Maw.

In any case the State is not going to suffer from this or the Gov as most people are focused on oil, jobs, gas lines, and social services. Fish are not a major issue for the average citizen and most probably do not know who Dr. Maw even is. The Gov is not guilty by association and neither is anyone who supported him. Just for the record Ouestairtoo the resource committee did not even know about this and had hearings scheduled for today. So lets be honest in the discussion. This caught everyone by surprise.

Finally, I have known Dr. Maw for years and believe him to be a good person who has faults like everyone else. We all make mistakes and have done stuff that we regret. It is called being human. We forgive if we are good people and let the system deal out the consequences for inappropriate actions. I hope you are that type of person Questairtoo and not someone who relishes the demise of another human being. I feel for Dr. Maw as his overall career is tarnished by a foolish error of judgement. Something that would not have happened if he had just said no to being a public servant and not subjected to the vile nature of Alaska fisheries allocation wars. It was ugly before this revelation.
    I am amazed at how obtuse you are Nerka. You backed the wrong horse and refuse to admit your error. And for you to say that Maw made a "mistake" is simply wrong. So many politicians and public servants try to minimize their conduct by saying they made a mistake. When a person signs an affidavit or takes an oath in an attempt to gain a resident benefit such as a hunting and fishing license or a dip net permit or a PFD or any benefit from being a resident of any state knowing that they are not telling the truth, it is criminal behavior, not a mistake. State prosecutors take PFD fraud seriously. Perhaps you did not know that if you claim a benefit as a resident from another state you are not eligible for a PFD. And you must sign an affidavit saying you did not in order to get the PFD. Same for getting a resident hunt and fish license or a dip net permit or a senior citizen permanent license in Alaska. You call it a foolish error of judgement when in fact it is an intentional act to deceive. And for you to say that it would not have happened if he had not offered himself up for the BOF and be subjected to the "vile nature" of fisheries allocation wars sounds like you are excusing him, because it was not his fault. And, it sounds like you think that there would have been no harm if he had not been caught. Your continuing unwavering support is very misguided. I have thought in the past that some of the things you post are worth my while to read. if you continue to rally to Maw's support, i and undoubtedly others will have to question whatever you say in the future should be taken seriously. And finally, you are sadly mistaken and uninformed about what some committee members knew and did not know. These issues have been under investigation for several days. Do you think that Medred just sits around and waits for information to come his way. i note that the forum is suddenly very silent about Maw's withdrawal. Wonder why!

Default Jekell and Hyde

Questairtoo comes on here slinging accusations, or is it casting aspersions, or maybe casting nasturtiums, its a finishing thread so casting nasty sturgeons. Next he is terrified about identity and fears for his safety. Next is an attempt to do Dale Carnegie and make nice, win friends, influence people. Now we are back to nasty sturgeons. There is no consistency. Bad case of something needing greater doses of medication. Or maybe it is a group identity. The old good cop bad cop trick.

His or her greatest offense, however, is picking on Nerka. I have a monopoly on picking on Nerka and do not appreciate interlopers. There is a HISTORY of my picking on Nerka, Questairtoo needs to find their own person to pick on and leave mine alone.. It is poaching. Poaching is punishable offense, we confiscate all your gear and fine you. Now get the hell out of my preserve.

Beyond that, if all we are doing is citing Medred, would not a simple link to the document and snide remark do as well? Medred is not always regarded as an unimpeachable source.

Questairtoo needs to find a personality to present to this board, the existing passive aggressive mish mash is unacceptable. As presented to date Questairtoo is just an attention seeking troll with nothing to contribute to any discussion. Take your nasty sturgeons and don't let the door slap you in the tush.

Talking

I think it is interesting how all the Comm. guys on this forum were screaming about how corrupt certain board members are and how ethical that Maw was/is.

And the truth shall set you free.

I think Questairtoo is just telling like it is, I for one appreciate his or her seemingly inside info & I am impressed with the knowledge that he or her shows on every topic that que chooses to post on. If nothing else it makes these forums a little more interesting.

Brian: I believe that you might want to reconsider your statements. Particularly the part where you claim Maw not getting a fair shake from the legislature after you read exactly why Maw withdrew his name.
    If what you say about the residency issues are true, then I agree that he should have withdrawn his name. That said, I stand by my assertion that he was not given a fair shake up to this point. All of the public criticism up to today was based on ideology, not a fair examination of his qualifications. I find that disheartening and unfortunate. Perhaps I am a naive optimist, but I would like the BOF and BOG members to be primarily concerned with science-based management, but given the predictable divides when someone with a modicum of scientific literacy is nominated to the Board, I don't have high hopes of that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If what you say about the residency issues are true, then I agree that he should have withdrawn his name. That said, I stand by my assertion that he was not given a fair shake up to this point. All of the public criticism up to today was based on ideology, not a fair examination of his qualifications. I find that disheartening and unfortunate. Perhaps I am a naive optimist, but I would like the BOF and BOG members to be primarily concerned with science-based management, but given the predictable divides when someone with a modicum of scientific literacy is nominated to the Board, I don't have high hopes of that happening.
    Very true Brian. I am not defending what Dr Maw did or did not do as I do not have the whole story. Questairtoo must have some inside information from Craig or is Craig. I will say that based on what he told me it could be a misdemeanor or worst. So lets see what it turns out to be. If a misdemeanor in Montana then it is a mistake, if more than it will be more serious. I just refuse to judge someone without all the facts and obviously Questairtoo has become prosecutor, judge and jury. Also, as I have said Dr. Maw is a friend and I do not abandon friends - I forgive them and hope they can live with the consequences of their actions.- even when they wrong me and others.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

I have a feeling there is a bit more to the story than the ADN is reporting, as there usually is when ADN reports anything. From what the ADN reported there is no way Maw should have pulled his name, unless he doesn't have the stones to answer questions, if that is the case he wouldn't make a good board member. I have a gut feeling (or maybe it is the cheese cake I just ate) there is more to the story and it will come out when reporters do some fact checking.

Quest stated well before this thread that Maw had too much baggage and he was right. Maw also did the right thing by bowing out. That being said, any suggestions to the Governor on who should throw their name in? How about Mr.Fish? One more time around, eh Fish? You have my support and on your past record, I think you would pass fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Very true Brian. I am not defending what Dr Maw did or did not do as I do not have the whole story. Questairtoo must have some inside information from Craig or is Craig. I will say that based on what he told me it could be a misdemeanor or worst. So lets see what it turns out to be. If a misdemeanor in Montana then it is a mistake, if more than it will be more serious. I just refuse to judge someone without all the facts and obviously Questairtoo has become prosecutor, judge and jury. Also, as I have said Dr. Maw is a friend and I do not abandon friends - I forgive them and hope they can live with the consequences of their actions.- even when they wrong me and others.
    Nothing wrong with forgiving Maw, Nerka. We do it all the time in this country. But don't understate the consequences of a misdemeanor. They are criminal acts, but with a maximum of only one year in custody and a smaller fine than a felony.State prosecutors take PFD fraud VERY seriously and consequences of being found guilty are dealt with harshly because it is a crime that is often hard to detect. And wish as hard as you might, I am not "Craig". People started asking about Maw's residency before he was appointed by Walker. There have been many clues that should have been easy to uncover. He has houses in different states. He transferred his permit to a non resident relative who claimed to be a resident of Alaska on CFEC documents. He obtained resident fishing and hunting licenses in another state while at the same time receiving PFDs in Alaska. He in fact has a permanent Alaska license. The list will keep expanding as an investigation takes place. I don't know what your friend Maw told you that leads you to conclude that based on what he said it could be a misdemeanor or worse, but you should not be surprised to be contacted by a state investigator who will be very interested in what Maw admitted to you. The Hollywood term is: "witness for the prosecution". Since you have gone out of your way to let people know who you are in varying ways, i am confident that it will not be hard to find you. Hopefully for Maw's sake the State will see him as an old man who because of diminished capacity simply was unaware of the impact of his actions, as you have alluded to, and may not pursue him. Either way it is now very clear that he was a bad choice for the BOF

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Quest stated well before this thread that Maw had too much baggage and he was right. Maw also did the right thing by bowing out. That being said, any suggestions to the Governor on who should throw their name in? How about Mr.Fish? One more time around, eh Fish? You have my support and on your past record, I think you would pass fine.
    Thanks for bringing that question up again thewhop. I started a thread on that very issue some time ago and got wrongly lambasted as being unethical by Nerka. It was relevant then and is more so now. There are plenty of people who would do a very good job. To convince them to put their name in is another matter. As you can see just by reading this forum, nobody will be acceptable to all. And from what i can understand it is truly a thankless job where no good deed goes unpunished. I am calling a few people asking them to consider letting the Gov's office know of their interest. Time is now short and i suspect that since he was aware of the likelihood of Maw not making it ,that the Governor has others in mind. We may have lost a good opportunity because so many who had their heads in the sand put all their support towards Maw.

Nothing wrong with forgiving Maw, Nerka. We do it all the time in this country. But don't understate the consequences of a misdemeanor. They are criminal acts, but with a maximum of only one year in custody and a smaller fine than a felony.State prosecutors take PFD fraud VERY seriously and consequences of being found guilty are dealt with harshly because it is a crime that is often hard to detect. And wish as hard as you might, I am not "Craig". People started asking about Maw's residency before he was appointed by Walker. There have been many clues that should have been easy to uncover. He has houses in different states. He transferred his permit to a non resident relative who claimed to be a resident of Alaska on CFEC documents. He obtained resident fishing and hunting licenses in another state while at the same time receiving PFDs in Alaska. He in fact has a permanent Alaska license. The list will keep expanding as an investigation takes place. I don't know what your friend Maw told you that leads you to conclude that based on what he said it could be a misdemeanor or worse, but you should not be surprised to be contacted by a state investigator who will be very interested in what Maw admitted to you. The Hollywood term is: "witness for the prosecution". Since you have gone out of your way to let people know who you are in varying ways, i am confident that it will not be hard to find you. Hopefully for Maw's sake the State will see him as an old man who because of diminished capacity simply was unaware of the impact of his actions, as you have alluded to, and may not pursue him. Either way it is now very clear that he was a bad choice for the BOF
    For the record I said that no one should be asking for names for replacements when the Gov made his choice and it was unethical to do so at the time and not on this forum as people want their privacy. Questairtoo - you refuse to give up your name for the very same reason.

Next, how do you know so much about this case and who may or may not be contacting me? If you work for the State and have this information you purport I would be more concerned about your revealing criminal investigate information on a public forum. Relative to my conversations and a state investigator let them come I have nothing to tell them that would be useful in a court of law. So far what I knew from Dr. Maw about the previous allegations was found to be true - the article by Professor Butler pretty much put to rest Dr. Maw's federal affidavit question. Relative to the present issues your posting does not appear to be complete or fully accurate but we will see. Tell the investigators I am out of state within the next three months for some time so they better hurry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast