Thread: Smoked Salmon

Default Smoked Salmon

For the up coming holidays I want to send off some smoked salmon, perferably not canned to make things lighter, and I want to try and send it without having to freeze it. Does anyone know how to keep salmon fresh like the store bought salmon you buy in the gift boxes? I'm assuming it is some kind of preservative but I just don't know. Thanks guys!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan69 View Post
    For the up coming holidays I want to send off some smoked salmon, perferably not canned to make things lighter, and I want to try and send it without having to freeze it. Does anyone know how to keep salmon fresh like the store bought salmon you buy in the gift boxes? I'm assuming it is some kind of preservative but I just don't know. Thanks guys!
    Those are done in retort pouches...which is essentially the canning process, but done in pouches.

Just looked them up....hmmmmm...it seems easier just to can them instead.

To give you an idea of what it takes to make smoked or dried fish "shelf stable" go to your local "Asian" store (such as the Valhalla Market" in Anchorage) and purchase dried fish. You have to get the water content down to like 10% for meat and fish to be shelf stable. With the addition of lots of salt, maybe you can get away with a 35% water content.

Think about how salty and dry beef jerky is (not a slim jim or whatever those are called, that have a bunch of preservatives, but the bags of thinly sliced beef jerky that you can buy at Costco.)

Is your smoked salmon that dry and that salty? If not, you aren't anywhere close to shelf stable.

The best option I've found is to vacuum pack your smoked salmon, hard freeze it and get a large flat rate box from the post office. Fill the sides of the flat rate box with 1" thick blue foam board and then fill your mini cooler with the frozen smoked salmon. It'll arrive semi frozen three days later. Best done during the winter months.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.