Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 86

Thread: Is ammo a good investment?

  1. #1
    Member sdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    119

    Default Is ammo a good investment?

    Gold silver AMMO
    7.62x39 AP was $75.00 a can now $300.00
    5,45x39 AP was $220.00 a can now $299.00
    22LR was $9.99 a brick now $65.00
    5.56 M855 AP was $.27 a round now $.35

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southcentral Alaska
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdi View Post
    22LR was $9.99 a brick now $65.00
    I don't know much, but I know that if it recently was profitable to sell 22LR for $.02 per bullet, and you now have to pay $.13 per bullet, 22LR are currently a horrifically bad investment. A decade from now we will be paying $.02 per bullet again.

  3. #3
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Any time you can predict a coming shortage of a product or commodity you can make money as an investment.

    As to $10 bricks of 22 lr, I don't think we'll ever see that again. Ammunition prices are based on a combination of the commodity prices of the raw materials, lead, brass and the chemicals to produce the priming compounds, powder and bullet lube. Unless those commodity prices drop to significantly, brick prices are going to be over $20 and keep rising with inflation after the supplies catch up with demand.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southcentral Alaska
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    As to $10 bricks of 22 lr, I don't think we'll ever see that again. Ammunition prices are based on a combination of the commodity prices of the raw materials, lead, brass and the chemicals to produce the priming compounds, powder and bullet lube. Unless those commodity prices drop to significantly, brick prices are going to be over $20 and keep rising with inflation after the supplies catch up with demand.
    You are probably right, but commodity prices don't begin to explain the current cost of .22LR. There is just under a penny's worth of metal in a 22 LR, and that hasn't really changed since approximately 2008. Prior to 2008 there was about 1/5th of a penny's worth of metal in a .22LR. That doesn't explain $.13 per round.

  5. #5
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Consumer prices have gone up on average 5-15% per year over the last 10 years. I bought a small generator for $200 that sold for $150 two years ago.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    I suspect no more or less so than any of the other investments available. If you can buy low and sell high, its a good investment, if you can't, it won't be.

    I would say there are SAFER investments simply based on the relatively fragile nature of ammo (water/fire/squishing) but that can obviously be mitigated.

    I would also say its not very liquid in the CURRENT society, that could change too.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    You are probably right, but commodity prices don't begin to explain the current cost of .22LR. There is just under a penny's worth of metal in a 22 LR, and that hasn't really changed since approximately 2008. Prior to 2008 there was about 1/5th of a penny's worth of metal in a .22LR. That doesn't explain $.13 per round.
    Pre-shortage I was still able to buy bricks of 525 on sale for $15, I suspect that was a fair price for them and I suspect, post shortage prices to be similar since the global economy is slowing down and many non-food commodities are quite low now and for the foreseeable future. Which does make this the time to get into commodity ETFs, FWIW.

  8. #8
    Member Scorpion8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SE-AK
    Posts
    242

    Default

    It depends on how much you want to be hated. Lots of folks started snapping up bricks of 22LR a few years ago and then tried to re-sell them at $90/brick or so. Most of us look at ammo as a necessity, not as something to be price-gouged on. A few folks that I know down here lost a lot of friends trying to scalp bricks of 22LR. I guess if that's how you want to live your life ......

  9. #9

    Default

    I have about five boxes of Winchester .22 Magnum that still have the price on the box $1.90 per box of 50

    When you get right down to it they are worth roughly around $13.00 to $14.00 a box to me. It does not in the least matter what the original cost was. If I had zero .22 Magnum ammo, then I would be happy to pay $19.99 per box.......real happy. Late summer of 2012 I was buying bricks of .22 Magnum Rimfire ammo for $88.99 at Wild West Guns, it seemed like a very fair price at the time. My guess is I bought two cases, of 5 bricks each over the summer. I don't know what they are worth today, I don't even care. No body else wanted to buy them at that time, at that price, there was about 20+ cases of .22 Magnum Ammo & it was for sale for months.

    Last time I was in town (Dec. 11'th) I bought a few of those 1,000 round cases of XM855 ammo for $349.99 each. I have no idea what they are worth today, don't care. It seemed like a fair price to me at the time. I am always surprised that people will give me useful stuff like Ammo and take colored paper in exchange. Colored paper (Money) is of no use around here, there are no stores.

    Here is how I look at it........."IF" we have inflation, then I am happy that I got rid of the colored paper for something useful. "IF" we have a severe World-wide depression and no one including me has any money, I'll be happy that I have ammo/food/supplies. What matters is that the colored paper is only good for buying things, and I only go to town four times a year, so I try to get rid of the colored paper (which is useless around here) and have useful stuff we can use here on the homestead.

    People talk about other people hoarding ammo, and they think it is wrong. I think hoarding colored paper is silly, even more strange that people hoard 1's and 0's. How silly to hoard "ONES" and "ZEROS". People get some silly feeling of security have "ONES" and "ZEROS" in a electronic computer thingie. Oh they think it is safe in their 401K or IRA or pension plan, but really it is just "ONES and "ZEROS" in an electronic computer. But I figure they can do what they want with their COLORED PAPER.......

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have about five boxes of Winchester .22 Magnum that still have the price on the box $1.90 per box of 50

    When you get right down to it they are worth roughly around $13.00 to $14.00 a box to me. It does not in the least matter what the original cost was. If I had zero .22 Magnum ammo, then I would be happy to pay $19.99 per box.......real happy. Late summer of 2012 I was buying bricks of .22 Magnum Rimfire ammo for $88.99 at Wild West Guns, it seemed like a very fair price at the time. My guess is I bought two cases, of 5 bricks each over the summer. I don't know what they are worth today, I don't even care. No body else wanted to buy them at that time, at that price, there was about 20+ cases of .22 Magnum Ammo & it was for sale for months.

    Last time I was in town (Dec. 11'th) I bought a few of those 1,000 round cases of XM855 ammo for $349.99 each. I have no idea what they are worth today, don't care. It seemed like a fair price to me at the time. I am always surprised that people will give me useful stuff like Ammo and take colored paper in exchange. Colored paper (Money) is of no use around here, there are no stores.

    Here is how I look at it........."IF" we have inflation, then I am happy that I got rid of the colored paper for something useful. "IF" we have a severe World-wide depression and no one including me has any money, I'll be happy that I have ammo/food/supplies. What matters is that the colored paper is only good for buying things, and I only go to town four times a year, so I try to get rid of the colored paper (which is useless around here) and have useful stuff we can use here on the homestead.

    People talk about other people hoarding ammo, and they think it is wrong. I think hoarding colored paper is silly, even more strange that people hoard 1's and 0's. How silly to hoard "ONES" and "ZEROS". People get some silly feeling of security have "ONES" and "ZEROS" in a electronic computer thingie. Oh they think it is safe in their 401K or IRA or pension plan, but really it is just "ONES and "ZEROS" in an electronic computer. But I figure they can do what they want with their COLORED PAPER.......
    As usual, I can't say you're wrong, AGL, but I differ in my thinking:

    Given your views on inflation, it seems to me that you're just going along with it, and getting ripped off, plus encouraging more of it.

    Isn't that the exact opposite of what is called "Fighting Inflation"?

    As to prices etc., if a product, ammo in this case, is priced to more than "I" am willing to pay, it costs TOO MUCH. If, for example, 22 LR ammo was WIDELY available for $50.00 a brick, I wouldn't buy any at that price.

    The ATTRACTION for 22 LR is that it's cheap. $50.00 a brick is NOT cheap.

    If that price became the norm, I'd try and sell my 22s.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have about five boxes of Winchester .22 Magnum that still have the price on the box $1.90 per box of 50

    When you get right down to it they are worth roughly around $13.00 to $14.00 a box to me. It does not in the least matter what the original cost was. If I had zero .22 Magnum ammo, then I would be happy to pay $19.99 per box.......real happy. Late summer of 2012 I was buying bricks of .22 Magnum Rimfire ammo for $88.99 at Wild West Guns, it seemed like a very fair price at the time. My guess is I bought two cases, of 5 bricks each over the summer. I don't know what they are worth today, I don't even care. No body else wanted to buy them at that time, at that price, there was about 20+ cases of .22 Magnum Ammo & it was for sale for months.

    Last time I was in town (Dec. 11'th) I bought a few of those 1,000 round cases of XM855 ammo for $349.99 each. I have no idea what they are worth today, don't care. It seemed like a fair price to me at the time. I am always surprised that people will give me useful stuff like Ammo and take colored paper in exchange. Colored paper (Money) is of no use around here, there are no stores.

    Here is how I look at it........."IF" we have inflation, then I am happy that I got rid of the colored paper for something useful. "IF" we have a severe World-wide depression and no one including me has any money, I'll be happy that I have ammo/food/supplies. What matters is that the colored paper is only good for buying things, and I only go to town four times a year, so I try to get rid of the colored paper (which is useless around here) and have useful stuff we can use here on the homestead.

    People talk about other people hoarding ammo, and they think it is wrong. I think hoarding colored paper is silly, even more strange that people hoard 1's and 0's. How silly to hoard "ONES" and "ZEROS". People get some silly feeling of security have "ONES" and "ZEROS" in a electronic computer thingie. Oh they think it is safe in their 401K or IRA or pension plan, but really it is just "ONES and "ZEROS" in an electronic computer. But I figure they can do what they want with their COLORED PAPER.......
    AGL4now:

    I'd like to address other assertions in your post.

    Just to say, that even though YOU have no faith in the value of money for your various reasons, there are plenty of Rich People who are doin quite well with their money. They're spending it, but I'm sure they're not tryin to get rid of it, which you think is a good idea.

    Do you think they are being silly? (When they're doin better than we are?)

    Maybe, you should get out more often. Live a little. I bet you've got $$$ in the bank.

    Do you really expect to be believed, when you say that money is useless around where you are?

    Don'tcha have to buy gas, so you can go to the stores, and the BANK?

    SHUCKY GEE, even the Mountain Men needed to go to the Rendezvous.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #12

    Default

    I always have less than $20.00 in the bank at the end of the day. On the first day of the month I get $250.00 Alaska OLD'FART money (It was Alaska Longevity fund........but they did away with that, and replaced it with Senior Benefits Plan). They put the money in at night, and the next day I auto transfer it to Cabela's VISA Card. On the Third of the month I get $662.00 Social Security deposited the night before, and that day I transfer it all to one of two credit card accounts. All of my bills go automatic onto one of the credit cards. I come to Los'Anchorage four times a year, and most of what I buy is from e-bay or AMAZON and it is tied to the credit card. So after the 3'rd of the month there is always less than $20.00 in the bank, generally $12.00 to $18.00 and it is a totally free bank account.

    As to your question, do I think wealthy people are silly for investing and doing better than we are........??? I think people should do what they want to do. I do what I want to do, which is explore new country and study animals, I live a very simple life, I live in a shack, I have one lamp, I mostly heat with firewood, and mostly cook on the wood stove or I have a propane Coleman Two Burner Camp Stove, I haul my water. What gives me pleasure is wandering around the Alaska Wilderness with no goal accept to be careful, and study the land, the creeks, the rocks, the animals, the trees, etc. As long as the weather does not suck, I am happy just being in the wilderness with a light pack, not hunting, not prospecting, just observing the majesty that is Alaska.

    If other people want to spend their time making money or profits, I no longer care. If they are happy that the stock markets set new all time record highs today.......so be it. I am doing what I want and they are doing what they want.

    If you want $50.00 of colored paper money more than you want a brick of .22 Long Rifle ammo that is perfect, if someone else is willing to pay $80.00 for a brick of .22 Long Rifle that is perfect also. What other people do I can't control. What other people think I can't control. What I know is that I am 68 y/o and in very good physical shape for my age. But I am vividly aware that at some point I will be in the Alaska Pioneer Home, and at that time all that will matter is my memories, all I will have any real possession of, and get pleasure from are my memories. The money, all worldly things will not matter......only the memories of a life well lived, the adventures embarked on, the risks taken, but MOSTLY.......the memories of the awesome pure bliss of just being alone in the majestic wilderness of Alaska will matter. What matters is that I live my life, and not someone else's idea of how my life should be lived.

    Do I think we are on the cusp of a horrific world event.............YES. Do I think that the value of all "Classes" of assets are going to be painfully re-set........YES.

    Do I care......yes, I am empathic to the horror, the pain, the suffering that most Homo Sapiens are going to experience. Can I change any of that.........NO, not really. I can advocate, I can BEG people to prepare. But, I can only control my life. Do I think that I have been able to motivate a few people to prepare.........YES.

    The wilderness can change a man............
    There is a real transformation that can metamorphose within a man who is alone in the wilderness. He can exit the wilderness fragile, very fragile, he is no longer sure where that which is himself ends and that which is not himself starts.

    Everything is kind of fuzzy, and has a softness about it, all things appear slightly blurred to the eye, like after one has been crying, and it can be hard to distinguish where one object stops and another object starts.

    He feels weak and vulnerable, but centered. In fact he is stronger, but the feeling of weakness, and vulnerability comes from the loss of arrogance.

    There is a clarity about the perfection of everything. Sounds are crisper, colors are different, there are so many more (new) colors now.

    He feels as if he is looking through things and through people, this is a very uncomfortable experience, he tries to focus, but he just looks through everything.

    Part of him wants to go back to the way it was, before being alone in the wilderness. But he also enjoys the bliss of how it is now. He wants to weep for no reason, but for the perfection of everything.

    He has change, and can not change back to that which he was before, being alone in the wilderness.

    I know not of drugs, but being alone in the wilderness, for long periods will change your perception of the universe. The universe is the same, but you have shifted to a place where you can see, with new eyes, a new heart, and a new empathy for all life. You have been born a second time, and are a child of the wilderness.

    There was a time long ago, that a man was encouraged to go into the wilderness alone for a extended period, so that he might find wisdom about life. Sad it is discouraged today. Welcome home....welcome home. Home from the wilderness, for he free to return at any time to your true nature.

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...008#post824008

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    AGL4now:

    I'd like to address other assertions in your post.

    Just to say, that even though YOU have no faith in the value of money for your various reasons, there are plenty of Rich People who are doin quite well with their money. They're spending it, but I'm sure they're not tryin to get rid of it, which you think is a good idea.

    Do you think they are being silly? (When they're doin better than we are?)

    Maybe, you should get out more often. Live a little. I bet you've got $$$ in the bank.

    Do you really expect to be believed, when you say that money is useless around where you are?

    Don'tcha have to buy gas, so you can go to the stores, and the BANK?

    SHUCKY GEE, even the Mountain Men needed to go to the Rendezvous.

  13. #13
    Member sdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have about five boxes of Winchester .22 Magnum that still have the price on the box $1.90 per box of 50

    When you get right down to it they are worth roughly around $13.00 to $14.00 a box to me. It does not in the least matter what the original cost was. If I had zero .22 Magnum ammo, then I would be happy to pay $19.99 per box.......real happy. Late summer of 2012 I was buying bricks of .22 Magnum Rimfire ammo for $88.99 at Wild West Guns, it seemed like a very fair price at the time. My guess is I bought two cases, of 5 bricks each over the summer. I don't know what they are worth today, I don't even care. No body else wanted to buy them at that time, at that price, there was about 20+ cases of .22 Magnum Ammo & it was for sale for months.

    Last time I was in town (Dec. 11'th) I bought a few of those 1,000 round cases of XM855 ammo for $349.99 each. I have no idea what they are worth today, don't care. It seemed like a fair price to me at the time. I am always surprised that people will give me useful stuff like Ammo and take colored paper in exchange. Colored paper (Money) is of no use around here, there are no stores.

    Here is how I look at it........."IF" we have inflation, then I am happy that I got rid of the colored paper for something useful. "IF" we have a severe World-wide depression and no one including me has any money, I'll be happy that I have ammo/food/supplies. What matters is that the colored paper is only good for buying things, and I only go to town four times a year, so I try to get rid of the colored paper (which is useless around here) and have useful stuff we can use here on the homestead.

    People talk about other people hoarding ammo, and they think it is wrong. I think hoarding colored paper is silly, even more strange that people hoard 1's and 0's. How silly to hoard "ONES" and "ZEROS". People get some silly feeling of security have "ONES" and "ZEROS" in a electronic computer thingie. Oh they think it is safe in their 401K or IRA or pension plan, but really it is just "ONES and "ZEROS" in an electronic computer. But I figure they can do what they want with their COLORED PAPER.......
    Soon this president will sign a executive order banning the POSSESSION of "COP KILLER" M855 5.56.
    $349.00 for 1000Rds of M855 is a very BAD investment. 10 years in the pen!

  14. #14

    Default

    I don't have any in my POSSESSION........It has all been cached in Slate Creek and Colorado Creek, with a small amount in the very back of Cub Creek.

    ................

    Quote Originally Posted by sdi View Post
    Soon this president will sign a executive order banning the POSSESSION of "COP KILLER" M855 5.56.
    $349.00 for 1000Rds of M855 is a very BAD investment. 10 years in the pen!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    I hope you don't have to find out the hard way what the courts idea of "POSSESSION" is

  16. #16

    Default

    I still have my receipt........just take it back to Walmart and say it does not work per Executive Order. My guess is that if the CEO of WALMART told the Mr. Obama where to stick his executive order........it would get stuck there. We live in an Oligarchy System and NOT a Democracy..........


    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I hope you don't have to find out the hard way what the courts idea of "POSSESSION" is

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,805

    Default

    AGL4now:

    That's very interesting and very DEEP. Thanks for taking the time.

    I hope that you can maintain your independence, and a place in the wilderness, for a long time. Your lifestyle may help you accomplish that.

    Although I don't agree with you totally, I certainly wish you well.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    AGL, you are right on the mark with the Oligarchy. I hope Big O doesn't get his way and make it a monarchy. I understand your one with nature thing. Many of us have chosen partners along this road of life which means to us there are things more important than ones self. Good luck on your journey sir but I have chosen a different road.

  19. #19

    Default

    What's all this got to do with ammo?

  20. #20

    Default

    What's this got to do with ammo?


    Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    What's all this got to do with ammo?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •