Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polaris 6x6 purchase...

Default Polaris 6x6 purchase...

I am in the market for a new AtV. Looking for reasons why I should NOT buy the Ranger 6x6.

I am set on getting one right now but really want to weigh all the pros and cons.

thanks for any ideas

Oh, and fun, buying mainly for hunting

You will not have any hunting partners because they will be jealous and can't keep up with you.

Well I'll have a seat for 1 at least!

But I really am looking for the downsides - any reason to go with something else?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Well I'll have a seat for 1 at least!
    Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but, if your planning to ride your Ranger 6x6 solo . . . why not consider the new Can-Am Outlander 6x6? Wheelers have their advantages, and except for additional passengers, the Can-Am 6x6 will carry & tow about the same amount of gear/game.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I bought a 2010 - no issues so far. As for downsides; a litte more maintanance, little bigger to haul around, can be a little tight in wooded trailes/blazing.

My opinion, you can't go wrong if your looking for a good utility rig with lots of hauling capabilities. Plenty of power and smooth ride.

I have a 2012 and have yet to find a down side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

BluNosDav - thanks, that is sort of what I was looking for, although looking for actual negatives on the Ranger

as for your suggestion, I had a Sportsman 6x6 but am opting for the extra room for a rider, the ability to get out of the elements a bit, and all the storage

The CanAm costs more than the Ranger, so for less money and extra seats, I'd choose the Ranger - plus I won't ride solo most of the time

the rest of you: thanks for the reply but you're just solidifying my decision! Lol

Better get your name on one quick as there no longer going to make the 6x6

excav8tr,

That recently changed: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...x6-Lives-Again!

Dave
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Both dealers assured me I could get one without problem through 2015 even before they extended production. I assume they will have plenty through most of 2016 now.

That's great news!

Just bought a Polaris Ranger 6X6 the day before this thread started. Best purchase I ever made, can not wait for hunting season this year.

I love mine but they are not without flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by SNWMBL View Post
    I love mine but they are not without flaws.
    What are some of the flaws that come to mind? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    What are some of the flaws that come to mind? Just curious.
    The stock radiator fan is junk. A few deep water crossing and you will Crack or break a blade. Don't replace it with another Polaris fan. You will break it too. There is an aftermarket company that makes them as well. Both much stronger and less expensive. I haven't managed to break one since.

The stock skid plate sucks. The front leading edge will snag on rocks and will peel open like an oyster can. Quick cheap fix is to bolt a piece of plate aluminum across the frame in front of it to protect the edge of the plastic skid plate from rocks. Mines held up well after doing so. Snwmbl went with an aftermarket skid plate that is bomb proof.

Another strong recommendation would be for the steering stop bushing aftermarket companies have out. They will help to stop from breaking a front outer cv joint. When in forward it's not an issue. However in reverse if you drop a wheel in a hole, catch a rock or tree root under power it will tend to spin the steering wheel out of your hand. It will hit the end hard enough to over extend the range of the cv causing it to snap. The cheap simple plastic steering stops help to stop this and only slightly restrict your turning radius.

There are others. I highly recommend an Epi clutch kit. Their mudder kit works awesome compared to stock clutching.

All depends on how hard a person uses one. Mine gets worked very very hard. It's a 2013 bought new full cab with 27" itp xtr tires on it since new. Winches on both ends.

For all its flaws I still wouldn't trade it for anything out there. I've had them all pretty much. 3 wheelers. 2x4 4wheelers. 4x4 4 wheelers. Argo. Sportsman 6x6. And big trucks. The Ranger 6X6 is the closest thing I've owned to a turn key hunting rig out of the box. The only 2 issues most anyone who uses them much off road or decent trails is the fan and skid plate. I broke to fans back behind Eureka crossing the rivers there in July when they were low. It doesn't take alot. If your fan is louder than it used to be, or has a vibration, you cracked a blade.

My buddy rigged a kill switch to his fan (and we did it to my sportsman 6x6) so you can shut down the fan to cross water. Of course we did that after he broke his fan blade.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    My buddy rigged a kill switch to his fan (and we did it to my sportsman 6x6) so you can shut down the fan to cross water. Of course we did that after he broke his fan blade.
    That works great IF you remember to turn the fan off! I know some that have forgotten to do so even when they had a switch installed and had the option.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    The stock radiator fan is junk. A few deep water crossing and you will Crack or break a blade. Don't replace it with another Polaris fan. You will break it too. There is an aftermarket company that makes them as well. Both much stronger and less expensive. I haven't managed to break one since.

The stock skid plate sucks. The front leading edge will snag on rocks and will peel open like an oyster can. Quick cheap fix is to bolt a piece of plate aluminum across the frame in front of it to protect the edge of the plastic skid plate from rocks. Mines held up well after doing so. Snwmbl went with an aftermarket skid plate that is bomb proof.

Another strong recommendation would be for the steering stop bushing aftermarket companies have out. They will help to stop from breaking a front outer cv joint. When in forward it's not an issue. However in reverse if you drop a wheel in a hole, catch a rock or tree root under power it will tend to spin the steering wheel out of your hand. It will hit the end hard enough to over extend the range of the cv causing it to snap. The cheap simple plastic steering stops help to stop this and only slightly restrict your turning radius.

There are others. I highly recommend an Epi clutch kit. Their mudder kit works awesome compared to stock clutching.

All depends on how hard a person uses one. Mine gets worked very very hard. It's a 2013 bought new full cab with 27" itp xtr tires on it since new. Winches on both ends.

For all its flaws I still wouldn't trade it for anything out there. I've had them all pretty much. 3 wheelers. 2x4 4wheelers. 4x4 4 wheelers. Argo. Sportsman 6x6. And big trucks. The Ranger 6X6 is the closest thing I've owned to a turn key hunting rig out of the box. The only 2 issues most anyone who uses them much off road or decent trails is the fan and skid plate. I broke to fans back behind Eureka crossing the rivers there in July when they were low. It doesn't take alot. If your fan is louder than it used to be, or has a vibration, you cracked a blade.
    Well heck, if that's the con list I can deal with that and breaking other parts even. Currently have two yamaha grizzly. Don't get me wrong they're awesome, but what we use machines for (multiple people rides, hunting, dipneting, camping) they seem a little lacking. Have they always gotten the job done? Yes usually fairly easy however, it could be done, safer, more efficient, and more comfortably with the ranger I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Mind telling me how he did this??

Threw in a shot of my new Ranger. After 1 ride I realized I am going to need to fabricate sone type of guard for the light bar for going through thick stuff.

Can't wait for my real tires to get here next week. These stock ones are basically only good for packed trails and roads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast