Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SWEEPING KING SALMON RESTRICTIONS for all of Cook Inlet

Default SWEEPING KING SALMON RESTRICTIONS for all of Cook Inlet

Read 'em and weep...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...ADFG=region.R2

Old MacDonald sure had a busy afternoon.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO. Now, Shut it down for 5 years minimum.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I believe this makes it 4 closures in a row ... 2 in-season closures followed by 2 pre-season closures.

Funny thing is more ER kings die in the first 2 weeks of July than all the savings in May and June combined
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO. Now, Shut it down for 5 years minimum.
    Agree 100%.

This should have been done at least 5 years ago.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Funny thing is more ER kings die in the first 2 weeks of July than all the savings in May and June combined
    Agreed....and that includes ER bonkers. 8% of the ER pre-July C&R equals...... ?

oh well, guess I need a new summer hobby. Might actually be awake at work Tuesday mornings.... :-)

Would you explain how you come up with your statement about ER Kings? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    I believe this makes it 4 closures in a row ... 2 in-season closures followed by 2 pre-season closures.

You know if they started enhancing Crooked Creek on the Kasilof like they did in the 80's, it might take a little pressure off the Kenai. That sure used to be a fun fishery. My kids learned to fish there.
    Remember the mud trails down to the river before they put in the wheel chair trail? Oh, and no charge for parking......if you could find a place to park.

I hope they close the Kasilof too! If not it will be killed off too.

All King fishing on the Kenai Peninsula closed until further notice, including subsistence. No King fishing expected until at least 2020. I think this is what should happen, or should have happened while we still had a supply of spawners. There is almost nothing left to save, and the big ones are gone. Maybe forever.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I hope they close the Kasilof too! If not it will be killed off too.
    KASILOF RIVER EARLY-RUN KING SALMON SPORT FISHERY RESTRICTIONS ANNOUNCED
    To ensure continued successful king salmon spawning populations in 2015, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is implementing the following changes to the sport fishery on the Kasilof River, effective Friday, May 1 through Tuesday, June 30.
    • Anglers will be allowed to harvest only hatchery-produced king salmon and
    harvest will be allowed seven days per week. Hatchery-produced king salmon
    are distinguished from naturally-produced king salmon in the Kasilof River by
    a healed adipose fin-clip scar. The adipose fin is the small fleshy fin on the
    back just ahead of the tail.
    • The bag and possession limit for hatchery-produced king salmon will be
    reduced to one fish in the Kasilof River.
    • Naturally-produced king salmon may be retained only Saturdays each week. On
    Sundays through Fridays when the retention of naturally-produced king salmon
    will be prohibited, naturally-produced king salmon may not be removed from
    the water and must be released immediately. A naturally-produced king salmon
    is a king salmon with an adipose fin intact.
    • The use of bait and multiple hooks will be prohibited in the Kasilof River from
    its mouth upstream to the Sterling Highway bridge. Anglers may use only one
    unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure. “Single hook” means a fishhook with only
    one point (with or without a barb).

King salmon stocks throughout Cook Inlet, including Kasilof River early-run king salmon, are experiencing a period of low productivity and, since 2009, below average run strength. That trend is anticipated to continue during the 2015 season. The department manages the Kasilof River king salmon sport fishery to achieve a sustainable escapement goal (SEG) of 650–1,700 naturally-produced king salmon and broodstock collection goals for naturally- and hatchery-produced fish as monitored through the Crooked Creek weir. Since 2009, low escapements have occurred despite restrictions to the Kasilof River early-run king salmon sport fishery. The department has determined that in-season restrictions to the early-run king salmon sport fishery in the Kasilof River during 2015 will provide the best chance to achieve the SEG for naturally-produced king salmon in Crooked Creek and to meet king salmon stocking goals that increased in 2014.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I'm no fisheries biologist, but I think that catch and release fishing for a threated population of king salmon is stupid. If they need to shut fishing down, they should shut fishing down and we should all get a new hobby. (I've mostly done this already.)

But, like I said, I'm no fisheries biologist. Maybe catch and releasing spawners is of no particular concern.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    ...I think that catch and release fishing for a threated population of king salmon is stupid...
    I think it is too...
    "Grin and Bear It"

I think that catch and release fishing for a threated population of king salmon is stupid.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'm no fisheries biologist, but I think that catch and release fishing for a threated population of king salmon is stupid. If they need to shut fishing down, they should shut fishing down and we should all get a new hobby. (I've mostly done this already.)

But, like I said, I'm no fisheries biologist. Maybe catch and releasing spawners is of no particular concern.
    That's actually really a bummer to hear that you have given up on fishing . We need more participation not less to improve the quality and access in my opinion. But I also can understand what might have gotten you to that point. I still think think fishing is one of the best outdoor forms of recreation that is sustainable if managed correctly. So many different opportunities than just Kings salmon on the Kenai or Kasilof Rivers. Abundance varies naturally, there are ways to participate in the sport and still do it responsibly. Personally, I made a slight change from the way " I have always fished" and I have had the best fishing years I can remember and I have fished Alaska avidly since I moved here as a kid in 1971. Not a single king though from threatened stocks in Southcentral Alaska. At this junction in my life, forty years from now when I am 90 years old, I think I would point to 2013 and 2014 as two of my best years fishing to date.

Are you talking about Kenai, Kasilof, or in general? The mixed wild/hatchery stocks on the Kasilof make it tough to harvest one and not impact the other. I think there are just as many knowledgeable folks saying we must conserve the wild stocks that also in the same breath say ALL HATCHERY FISH MUST DIE. I typically fall into that category.

I think the EO's on the Kenai say you cannot even target them. I was actually fairly excited about this as I figured during May and June, the Lower Kenai would be completely devoid of boats and it might actually be a very nice drift for trout and other exploring like starry flounder and other brackish water fish at the mouth or maybe a a super duper ultralight for fly fishing the hooligan . There are fish other than King Salmon in the Kenai.
    I bet enforcement frowns on you if you are parked in a typical hole pulling jet planers with k-16 kwikfish. Good luck convincing them you are trout fishing even though that exact set up has produced some really nice trout while king fishing.

Overall I think an early announcement like this is responsible management. There are many families and businesses that rely on this fishery for at least part of their income. We all know the run is weak, so getting rules out early so people can modify plans I think is smart. It can always be done better but overall I am more impressed than not with how F&G is handling this so far.

========== Excerpt from Emergency Order No. 2-KS-1-05-15
    From 12:01 a.m., Friday, May 1, through 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, June 30, 2015:
    • In the Kenai River, from the mouth upstream to an ADF&G regulatory marker at the outlet of Skilak Lake, king salmon fishing is closed. No king salmon of any size may be retained. King salmon may not be targeted and any king salmon caught while fishing for other species may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    That's actually really a bummer to hear that you have given up on fishing . We need more participation not less to improve the quality and access in my opinion. But I also can understand what might have gotten you to that point..
    Just to be clear, I haven't given up on fishing, I just haven't found myself fishing for Kings much. I wet my line for reds in the Copper tributaries and fish for Grayling wherever I can find them. Between crowds and threatened populations, I can't justify targeting Kings anymore, but any summer that we had a strong run on the Copper, I'll be up that way fishing for them.

Default No bull...

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Would you explain how you come up with your statement about ER Kings? Thanks!
    Horrible run in 2012 ratcheted down in-season to C&R of adult kings on 6/15/12 and promptly closed in-season a week later.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=1632
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=1643

An even weaker 2013 forecast prompted a pre-season EO on 5/9/13 to begin the season with C&R of adult kings. This eventually resulted in an in-season closure 6/20/13 (2 days earlier than the previous year) announced on 6/18/13
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=1761
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=1797

2014 run was closed pre-season about a year ago

2015 run was closed pre-season y'day.

4 consecutive ER closures... 2 in-season, 2 pre-season.
    The KeenEye MD

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

These EO's are a good start...hopefully just the first steps towards more definitive closures for a few years to allow the population to recover.

I see the COM. nets will be open in the inlet for kings, they have been cut back some but they are still at it . I think
    every one blames the sport fishermen people but the numbers don't add up for me, an the new head of F&G is not a frend of the sport fishermen ,
    there again that is what I think SID

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

We have to look and act on this statewide rivers and salt sport, commercial and subsistance, but we wont but we can try. I plan to talk about changing mesh size for commercial seiners that fish capes, they are killing alot of juvenile kings and chums cuz they are gilling. Cape seining is new from what I've observed, so maybe a slightly bigger mesh to let the little guys thru could save a lot of juveniles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    I see the COM. nets will be open in the inlet for kings, they have been cut back some but they are still at it . I think every one blames the sport fishermen people but the numbers don't add up for me, an the new head of F&G is not a frend of the sport fishermen , there again that is what I think SID
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast