Thread: New predator hunter needing advice

Default New predator hunter needing advice

I just purchased my first predator rifle: bushmaster predator rifle topped with a Nikon 4-16x42 XR Turret scope. The thing shoot amazing and getting .5 inch groups at 100 yrds. I plan on heading out soon with my IcoTec GC300 wireless caller and a cheap fake rabbit decoy. I was planning on finding an area where I can see for a long ways, stick the rabbit in the ground, and set my caller close by and put some coyote scent around. Then throw up my ground blind and start calling. As I said, this will be my first predator hunt and may be doing it all wrong. Any advice you have please let me know.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Default New predator hunter needing advice

First thing I would do is take that Nikon off, get something with a wide field o view like a 1-4 or 2-7 and then find some brush. Predators in Alaska have way too much cover to walk around in open areas where you can see 400 yards.

I have managed to take a coyote and a Lynx and both were at 50 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a vortex 1.5-5 as well but this is not only my predator rifle in Alasks but also my hog rifle in east/central Texas there some ranged are a lot further then a 1.5-5 would reach.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    I just purchased my first predator rifle: bushmaster predator rifle topped with a Nikon 4-16x42 XR Turret scope. The thing shoot amazing and getting .5 inch groups at 100 yrds. I plan on heading out soon with my IcoTec GC300 wireless caller and a cheap fake rabbit decoy. I was planning on finding an area where I can see for a long ways, stick the rabbit in the ground, and set my caller close by and put some coyote scent around. Then throw up my ground blind and start calling. As I said, this will be my first predator hunt and may be doing it all wrong. Any advice you have please let me know.
    Sounds like a good plan to me. Give it a try. I've seen coyotes at 300+ yards out in the open.
    Let us know how it works out and good luck.