Thread: Whittier report as promised

Default Whittier report as promised

Well we did have a good trip Fri- Sat, ended up with 6 halibut 8-60 lbs. Did OK off the N end of Perry. No luck in Port Wells. Did not fish around Lone. Picked up some small rockies at the S end of Culross Passage. This was only my second trip to PWS for halibut, but it looks like patience, and the mind of a hunter, is the key to success here- find the humps, and rocky shelves, and fish them hard. Different than chartering south out of Homer where you get in a hole at slack, let down lines and everybody is hooked up quick. The tides don't seem to run real fast like they do down by the open ocean,perhaps the fish don't have to find humps to hide behind to avoid the current. They can cruise rocky shelves and move around more. You guys who have more experience than me please chime in!

Default My $.02

Wes, we ran to latouche on saturday and did well given the weather. Fished in between Latouche and Elrington, but winds were 20-30, seas at 4' when we got there. We left two hours later one short of a limit, with one 50#, on 35# and the rest 20# (one small one), when the seas got closer to 6' or so. Pretty good fishing.

On Sunday, my partner ran all the way back out there (with smooth water all the way) and limited out. We got a late start and decided not to take the 3 hour ride and hung around Main Bay and Eshamy Bay. We searched for rockfish (caught quite a few - mostly coppers and greenling, with some small lings thrown in), and fished for 'buts just south of Eshamy with no luck. Glad to hear their picking up a little at Perry - maybe will try there soon.

Were you able to find sandy bottom, or are you finding mostly mud over there?

SH

Default Sunday

Headed out to Needles on Sunday but decided to stop at Lone Island on way. Hooked up with a large fish on our first drift but that only lasted five minutes and then she was gone. Did a second drift over the same route and BINGO there she (or her sister) was and the fight was on. Lots of deep runs and then one very nice surface run with breaking the water (ala Tarpon) and we landed a 106lb butt. No shrimp in the pot but were able to watch a whale feed nearby and then watch a purse seiner off of the hatchery at work. Got home in time to meet my son and his girlfriend returning from thier beach camping trip just having cleaned 110 clams. Gotta love those AK summer weekends!

I fished on the Montague side between Montague and Latouche last Wednesday. Action was hot and heavy after nothing for the first hour. Nothing bigger than 20lbs. Water was a little choppy coming back.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Fished Friday afternoon and Saturday morning off north end of Montague. Got limits of halibut both days, but nothing larger than probably 20 pounds. Stuck our noses out into the Gulf, thinking about making a run to Seal Rock, but seas went from about 2 ft. to 6 ft. and breaking in no time at all and we turned around pronto. Saturday was foggy, misty, breezy and cold from Montague to south end of Culross, then blue skies and warm from Culross to points west. Going out next weekend, but staying closer in to save on fuel.

SH, it seemed kind of muddy off N Perry there despite what appeared to be a low ridge of rock coming off shore out into the water. But there was some halibut there nonetheless. They do seem to like a rocky bottom better- why is this? WW

I think halibut are found where halibut food is found, and muddy/silty bottoms don't seem to hold any halibut food.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I think halibut are found where halibut food is found.
    Period.

Wink Could have thought of that myself-

Makes sense- the rocky bottom is better cover for the small crabs, octopus, etc.

Default Help

We also fished the Sound on Saturday and Sunday. Not a bite in front of the Coghill but moved south a bit and got a 50 pounder and hooked a giant that got away. Could not keep from catching rockfish, so had to give up on our halibut hole. Any ideas on how to NOT catch rockfish while targeting halibut. I am thinking big bait like salmon heads but would like to still be able to hook smaller halibut down to 25 pounds or so.

Heading out Thur. Going to try to make a run out to South end of Montague.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Unhappy Boat Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Heading out Thur. Going to try to make a run out to South end of Montague.

That's a long way out!

I had engine issues last week. It would not start normal without raising the fast idle lever and then seem to cut out a bit when getting up on step. Only 1 month left on warranty, so I figured I better get into the shop!

This sucks! I have the paddle, but no boat! Have some friends in from Alabama and we are going to camp out at Bings Landing, drink beer and try to fish a little. I hope there aren't any crowds...........right!
    Good to see Butts are getting better.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I'm think about a 2.5 to 3 hour ride
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK