Thread: Which brass? Barnes or Federal

Default Which brass? Barnes or Federal

Anyone have any experience with Barnes brass? Is it any worse or better than Federal? I was going to purchase some loaded 35 Whelen cartridges primarily for the purpose to reload the brass when empty. I was leaning toward the Barnes as they have a 225 TSX vs. the 200 Federal Fusion but wanted to know how their brass is compared to others.
    THanks.

Considering Remington is loading the ammunition, my guess is it's loaded in Remington brass. I've used Remington, Winchester and Federal brass and have never seen a significant difference between them.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have loaded them all. Remington bass works great. The federal seems to have primer issues after the second use....at least in what I have loaded. No issues with Barnes.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Good feedback, I wasn't aware Remington loaded Barnes's ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Barnes brass? Is it any worse or better than Federal? I was going to purchase some loaded 35 Whelen cartridges primarily for the purpose to reload the brass when empty. I was leaning toward the Barnes as they have a 225 TSX vs. the 200 Federal Fusion but wanted to know how their brass is compared to others.
    THanks.
    I much prefer to buy 30/06 brass and run them through the sizer. If you want to be particular in the process, it is easy to run them onto a .375 expander and then slowly bring it back to .358 to create a false shoulder for perfect headspace in the unfired hulls. I'd much prefer that to the expense of factory ammo if obtaining brass is the primary goal...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I thought you were reloading. I don't know all new Remington loads.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

A few years ago Barnes sold out to the outfit that owns Remington. Reportedly, all the loaded ammo sold under the Barnes brand is loaded at the Remington plant. Tho it carries a Barnes headstamp, it's presumably Remington brass. I don't believe Barnes ever made their own brass; only bullets.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I much prefer to buy 30/06 brass and run them through the sizer. If you want to be particular in the process, it is easy to run them onto a .375 expander and then slowly bring it back to .358 to create a false shoulder for perfect headspace in the unfired hulls. I'd much prefer that to the expense of factory ammo if obtaining brass is the primary goal...
    My thought was to see how it shot with factory ammo, then have fire-formed brass thereafter.
    What dies do you use and are they custom?

I thought barnes was in cohots with Federal?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetWilliam View Post
    I thought barnes was in cohots with Federal?
    I don't believe Federal is loading Barnes bullets anymore in their premium line.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I don't believe Federal is loading Barnes bullets anymore in their premium line.
    They load something called a "Trophy Copper"...which looks like a TTSX to me. Might be they still load the bullets but market them under a different name since the Freedom Group buyout of Barnes.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My thought was to see how it shot with factory ammo, then have fire-formed brass thereafter.
    What dies do you use and are they custom?
    For my Whelen I have Redding dies, I think it's their deluxe set, which includes full length sizer, a neck sizer and seater die. I have their tapered expander plug and have never lost a case in resizing '06 brass to .35 Whelen, though I've probably only done 500 or so cases. I'll also note that I've mostly (though not entirely) used unfired brass. Many years ago I started reloading the Whelen by the process I enumerated earlier; necking an '06 up to .358 then to .375 and then back down to .358 thereby creating a false shoulder and providing perfect headspace. Some few years ago I dropped that practice and now simply neck up in one step and haven't seen a need to change back. As some on this forum know, I love the Whelen. That rifle has been particularly good to me and loading for it has been an absolute breeze. I've killed quite a bit of AK game with mine and if there is something better than Reloader 15 and a 200 TTSX for it I've not seen it. I should mention I've used a wide variety of loads to come to that conclusion.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    For my Whelen I have Redding dies, I think it's their deluxe set, which includes full length sizer, a neck sizer and seater die. I have their tapered expander plug and have never lost a case in resizing '06 brass to .35 Whelen, though I've probably only done 500 or so cases. I'll also note that I've mostly (though not entirely) used unfired brass. Many years ago I started reloading the Whelen by the process I enumerated earlier; necking an '06 up to .358 then to .375 and then back down to .358 thereby creating a false shoulder and providing perfect headspace. Some few years ago I dropped that practice and now simply neck up in one step and haven't seen a need to change back. As some on this forum know, I love the Whelen. That rifle has been particularly good to me and loading for it has been an absolute breeze. I've killed quite a bit of AK game with mine and if there is something better than Reloader 15 and a 200 TTSX for it I've not seen it. I should mention I've used a wide variety of loads to come to that conclusion.
    Near ditto for me with the Whelen's close cousin the 338-06; Redding dies with a tapered expander ball. Necking up Winchester '06 brass in a single pass is a breeze. RL-15 and 210 TSX's for me.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    A few years ago Barnes sold out to the outfit that owns Remington. Reportedly, all the loaded ammo sold under the Barnes brand is loaded at the Remington plant. Tho it carries a Barnes headstamp, it's presumably Remington brass. I don't believe Barnes ever made their own brass; only bullets.
    If this is the case, they are making it just a few miles from where I grew up at. My uncle worked in the plant until he died in 2010, so I no longer have any contact with anyone there to confirm nor deny it. It would make sense though since Cerebus owns them now. Heck, if I could still get the normal Remington ammo for $1 a box or $5 a box for premium like when my uncle was alive, I wouldn't reload.