Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for the Draw Results

Default Getting Ready for the Draw Results

For all those that will no doubt get there draw results in the next 24 hours and jump on here to ask for help, here are some things to do and not do.

Do not post that "I got this tag ZZ100 and need to know what to do next." First of all we are not going to go look up in the flyer to see where ZZ100 is and what it is for. At least tell us the area. Also, do a search for the specific hunt number because somebody has probably already asked about it in the past. I don't think there is probably a hunt number in the state that hasn't been asked about unless it is new this year.

Do tell us "I got drawn for ZZ100 and have done lots of research here and other locations to know what I can but would welcome other input if you can." That shows us you put a little thought into it some time or other and have made at least a good faith effort.

DO NOT make this post your first post on this forum. Hell hath no fury like a forum member scorned. To make that your first post on here is scorning many forum members that have been putting in for that tag many years and you get it without paying your dues.

There are many more so the floor is now open to start adding your do and don't.

Randy

True words there!

I would also add that if you didn't get drawn, don't rant about the system ontheir thread, it often causes people to discuss the drawing results and doesn'thelp the person asking for help.

Good luck to everyone!

Good thread, Randy. I would add do not come on here and claim conspiracy theories and/or a rigged system - especially if you only apply for a small handful of really low odds permits. Wishful thinking, I know...the accusations will almost certainly start flying...but seriously, I laugh every time that a person says they put in for Delta bison, Tok sheep, and Kodiak bear and didn't draw due to an unfair system. Do the math - it's never likely to draw unless one puts in for a lot of permits and some of them carry decent odds.

I'm expecting plenty of new wishful hunting buddies to be showing up on my door step when I announce my Bison permit.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

When I don't draw any tags I just write it off as "My annual donation to the cause". I say if you got lucky and drew for the Delta Bison tag then congratulations and I will gladly let you know what I know of their location. I have had friends draw out for this tag for the last few years and (of course I didn't) but oh well that's life in a free country. I enjoy the stories almost as much as making them.
    Good luck to all.

If you play the odds on permits then you have a pretty good shot at drawing. We all play the Bison lottery and it isn't any big deal when I don't draw. Not a conspiracy accept for Roger in Sunshine who draws anything he applies for But truly it is jus the odds.

I also will have to do some homework if I draw a couple of tags that I don't normally apply for if drawn but the odds are slim in those areas. One thing I have noticed a lot though is that I get crafty with my research and this forum usually doesn't provide me with the info I am looking for. I find it outside of here on Google or Fish and game or You tube. Pretty amazing how the ones that like to brag post allover and you need to look and think outside the box sometimes.

Now I will say why do they have to give us a hard date. Now we are all sitting here reloading the fish and game website waiting to see if we drew. Surprised we don't crash their system with everyone looking.

Good luck all. I am hoping my 14 year old son draws a Kodiak Goat on the south road system. That is his dream hunt for some reason.

Looking forward to the Hitler video, myself...

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    If you play the odds on permits then you have a pretty good shot at drawing. We all play the Bison lottery and it isn't any big deal when I don't draw. Not a conspiracy accept for Roger in Sunshine who draws anything he applies for But truly it is jus the odds.

I also will have to do some homework if I draw a couple of tags that I don't normally apply for if drawn but the odds are slim in those areas. One thing I have noticed a lot though is that I get crafty with my research and this forum usually doesn't provide me with the info I am looking for. I find it outside of here on Google or Fish and game or You tube. Pretty amazing how the ones that like to brag post allover and you need to look and think outside the box sometimes.

Now I will say why do they have to give us a hard date. Now we are all sitting here reloading the fish and game website waiting to see if we drew. Surprised we don't crash their system with everyone looking.

Good luck all. I am hoping my 14 year old son draws a Kodiak Goat on the south road system. That is his dream hunt for some reason.
    If they didn't give a hard date, everyone would be *****ing about when the results would come out and bugging them continuously. This way, people have nothing to complain about as long as they get them out on time which they have been doing a good job of in recent years. Also, no need to continually refresh the page since they have e-mailed everyone their individual results the last couple years well before posting the results online.

Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post
    Looking forward to the Hitler video, myself...
    ++ An oldie, but goodie.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    For all those that will no doubt get there draw results in the next 24 hours and jump on here to ask for help, here are some things to do and not do.

Do not post that "I got this tag ZZ100 and need to know what to do next." First of all we are not going to go look up in the flyer to see where ZZ100 is and what it is for. At least tell us the area. Also, do a search for the specific hunt number because somebody has probably already asked about it in the past. I don't think there is probably a hunt number in the state that hasn't been asked about unless it is new this year.

Do tell us "I got drawn for ZZ100 and have done lots of research here and other locations to know what I can but would welcome other input if you can." That shows us you put a little thought into it some time or other and have made at least a good faith effort.

DO NOT make this post your first post on this forum. Hell hath no fury like a forum member scorned. To make that your first post on here is scorning many forum members that have been putting in for that tag many years and you get it without paying your dues.

There are many more so the floor is now open to start adding your do and don't.

Randy
    I agree in general...except I don't believe that being a member of these forums equates to paying dues in respects to getting drawn for a tag. Lots of folks have been putting in for tags for many years prior to becoming forum members. Making your first post about getting drawn for a tag is not scorning anyone. The two issues are exclusive of each other.

Just a reminder to some folks that your chance of drawing is only as good as the hunt with the best odds that you put in for, and nothing is guaranteed unless there are just as many (or more) tags than applicants. Even if a hunt has a 99% draw rate, someone has to miss out. Even if you put in for 15 hunts with a 20% chance of being drawn, you still only have a 20% chance of getting any of them. Also, if you put in for those same hunts for the last four years, it doesn’t mean that you will get it on the fifth. Mathematically, the odds of getting any tag/hunt are independent of how many other hunts you put in for or how many times you have put in for it in the past. This is why some can go years without drawing, and my wife draws Ship Creek moose on her first entry into any kind of hunt draw!
    I am sure this is not new information for most, but I have buddies that I have to explain this to every year as they get upset when they don’t draw even though they “put in for everything” or have been putting in for the same hunt for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    When I don't draw any tags I just write it off as "My annual donation to the cause". I say if you got lucky and drew for the Delta Bison tag then congratulations and I will gladly let you know what I know of their location. I have had friends draw out for this tag for the last few years and (of course I didn't) but oh well that's life in a free country. I enjoy the stories almost as much as making them.
    Good luck to all.
    Not meaning to hijack the thread....but hey Steve O...care to share any words of wisdon about the bison now? Heading that way next week to try and fill a tag. #1 question besides where the bison are...what are the snow conditions like? Trying to determine if we need to bring snow machines, 4 wheelers or a side by side.

Thanks for any info.

Good luck to all, hope like everyone else to get a tag and if so, hope others will share and I offer the same if I can help. Still will do a hunt or 2 either way, just ready to firm up a plan. Wife knows by know that not much planning happens until after the Draw Xmas.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Good luck to all, hope like everyone else to get a tag and if so, hope others will share and I offer the same if I can help. Still will do a hunt or 2 either way, just ready to firm up a plan.

Steve
    I couldn't agree more with this as I am a planner by nature and just want to know what comes next! I've been in our guest room (which doubles as my gear/music room) for an hour or so every night moving gear from this side of the guest bed to the other and things going in and out of my pack. It's a sickness for sure, and should be in the DSM V!

All very good points. Although I've been reading this forum for a number of years, I tend to post fairly infrequently. So much can just be gathered by searching and reading. Last year I drew a tag I wasn't super familiar with, and instead of posting "What should I do now?", I read previous threads, made specific contacts, and gained valuable information.

Good luck to everyone, and I'm with stid2677; I just want to know the results so I can firm up my plans, whether I'm hunting a draw hunt or an over the counter tag!

PS: Anyone ever give thought to the fact that even though we are waiting to hear the results, the drawings have already been completed and our drawing fates are sealed...we're just waiting to find out what someone, somewhere already knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Good thread, Randy. I would add do not come on here and claim conspiracy theories and/or a rigged system - especially if you only apply for a small handful of really low odds permits.....Do the math - it's never likely to draw unless one puts in for a lot of permits and some of them carry decent odds.
    True that! In my circle of acquaintances and friends somebody always scores big (like you did last year!)...but man, I'd hate to know how many tags that bunch applies for every year....hundreds would not be an exaggeration.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Good thread, Randy. I would add do not come on here and claim conspiracy theories and/or a rigged system - especially if you only apply for a small handful of really low odds permits. Wishful thinking, I know...the accusations will almost certainly start flying...but seriously, I laugh every time that a person says they put in for Delta bison, Tok sheep, and Kodiak bear and didn't draw due to an unfair system. Do the math - it's never likely to draw unless one puts in for a lot of permits and some of them carry decent odds.
    We are in for 48 tries.... No coveted tags except of course the bisonsx3. Hoping hoping hoping........ Anything would be cool......

Release Lake Trout

Or..... we can just let individuals be individuals and go on about our business! It's all good, and it will be better once I get my Tok Sheep Tag!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I love this time of year...the Spring Drawing Permit Results Whine-a-palooza
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Anyone know what time they normally put them out? 1st year actually putting in for a draw, just curious as to whether I should be checking 1 minute after midnight.....

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast