Thread: Female Moose Question

Default Female Moose Question

Had a cow in my yard with a yearling calf, and I noticed as she walked away from about 10 feet that there was membranes or something coming out her rear end, she was bedded down prior to that and there appeared to be blood in the snow, any ideas Kind of weird looking and if she is hurt maybe it could make her dangerous.

Not exactly sure what you observed; However most likely (Birthing sack/after birth) aborting a fetus do to lack of nutrition. So long as food is available and the cow is healthy she will carry three calves to term, but will abort them one at a time over several months for she is becoming malnourished.

Yes, probably just miscarried. Had one do that in my yard a few years back.....I later found the dead fetus not far away. My wife saw her right after and said she had "stuff hanging" as well....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Moose are more selective eaters than cattle, but I have seen cows trying to pass bailing string, plastic, cloth, etc...

Dont think it was foreign material definatley looked like membrane, plus there was watery blood in bed sites.