Thread: 14A Antlerless hunts?

Default 14A Antlerless hunts?

Was a decision ever officially made on whether F&G is going to award drawing permits for antlerless hunts in 14A? I know that the Anchorage AC scheduled some votes after this all blew up, but I don't recall reading that they actually carried out the votes. If I'm correct, at least one of the Mat-Su ACs voted to reauthorize the hunts, so where does this leave us with the drawing results being announced Friday? Any official word that I might have missed?

I see one post stating that the Su Valley AC voted to reauthorize on 12/11/14. As far as I can recall, the Anchorage AC has not yet had their final vote since they have postponed it a couple times. Not sure about others at this point.

Both Susitna Valley and Matanuska Valley voted unanimously to authorize the anterless hunts in Unit 14A. This includes the Targeted Hunt AM415.

Su Valley 6-0-0
    Mat Valley 13-0-0
    Anchorage 7-7-0

FYI- 38% of the antlerless draw hunts in the last 5 years have been awarded to people who live in the municipality of Anchorage.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by SkookumJoe View Post
    Both Susitna Valley and Matanuska Valley voted unanimously to authorize the anterless hunts in Unit 14A. This includes the Targeted Hunt AM415.

Su Valley 6-0-0
    Mat Valley 13-0-0
    Anchorage 7-7-0

FYI- 38% of the antlerless draw hunts in the last 5 years have been awarded to people who live in the municipality of Anchorage.
    Makes sense, since about 40% of the state's population lives in the MOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Makes sense, since about 40% of the state's population lives in the MOA.
    So that being the case, is it right for residents of the area to be able to hunt cow moose in other units when their own AC votes to not allow cow hunting in their own unit?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    So that being the case, is it right for residents of the area to be able to hunt cow moose in other units when their own AC votes to not allow cow hunting in their own unit?
    Of course! Are you implying that folks should only be allowed to hunt in their own back yard?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    If you start going that way, they you would have to go all across the state and look at each person's AC for where they live and limit their hunting opportunities statewide by whatever their home AC supported or limited. Doesn't make much sense when you go outside of a single instance, does it? If one AC in another area of the state does not support spike/fork moose hunting in their area, should residents of that area not be allowed to hunt spike/fork animals in other parts of the state?

What I'm saying is that Anchorage has a huntable population of moose. 40% of statewide draw permits for antlerless moose are awarded to Anchorage residents. By not allowing anyone to hunt antlerless moose in the Anchorage area, these residents have to compete with other residents of the state for moose that are closer to their home, further from Anchorage. The Anchorage AC's decision puts more of Anchorage into your back yard. The AC's decision makes fewer moose available to be hunted in Anchorage's back yards, but more available to grace people's bumpers. My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but also serious; AC's decisions for their own area can have statewide implications. Anchorage has one of the highest moose densities in the state; taking their moose out of the hunting equation only causes hardship to hunters in the Anchorage bowl and the rest of the state.

I'm not that sure that the moose population "in Anchorage" is as strong as some want us to believe. The hunts on JBER are on the chopping block due to reduced population. Certainly there are moose spotted all the time around town, but with 300,000+ people in a fairly small area, how could they not? That being said, I live and work within the MOA, and I literally cant remember the last time I saw a moose around here...

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I'm not that sure that the moose population "in Anchorage" is as strong as some want us to believe. The hunts on JBER are on the chopping block due to reduced population. Certainly there are moose spotted all the time around town, but with 300,000+ people in a fairly small area, how could they not? That being said, I live and work within the MOA, and I literally cant remember the last time I saw a moose around here...
    I've actually been seeing a bunch just in the last couple weeks. Not a lot before that for a while though. I think the low snow this year has a lot to do with it though. No reason for them to hang around down in town or on the roads/trails when they can easily walk and feed anywhere in the woods and up in the hills. Usually the deep snow forces them down into the more urban areas, but not this year.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I've actually been seeing a bunch just in the last couple weeks. Not a lot before that for a while though. I think the low snow this year has a lot to do with it though. No reason for them to hang around down in town or on the roads/trails when they can easily walk and feed anywhere in the woods and up in the hills. Usually the deep snow forces them down into the more urban areas, but not this year.
    That's a very good point. Additionally, due to the low snow, I haven't been out on many local trails as the skiing sucks!

I've said this in the past and my position is the same now. AC authority over antlerless hunts needs to go away. There were several hunts affected by AC actions or inactions. From the Kalgin island hunt to Unit 13 hunts. Last minute AC conference call meeting/polling took place to save some, but it's getting to the point of being just ridiculous. It's being used as leverage as well way too much.

And btw, if an AC vote is a tie on this, that isn't enough. So in the case of 14A, had not one of the other designated ACs voted in favor, it wouldn't have been authorized if Anch AC vote was a tie.

This came up several times at the meeting and the Chairman kept saying he was not attacking individual ACs (though he kinda was <grin>) but rather the public for not showing up enough to sway the votes or get elected to those ACs. Steve Flory also testified and announced he was not seeking reelection to Anch AC when his term expires (in May I think).

It is up to us, to the public, to get involved when we aren't happy with the way things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I've said this in the past and my position is the same now. AC authority over antlerless hunts needs to go away. There were several hunts affected by AC actions or inactions. From the Kalgin island hunt to Unit 13 hunts. Last minute AC conference call meeting/polling took place to save some, but it's getting to the point of being just ridiculous. It's being used as leverage as well way too much.

And btw, if an AC vote is a tie on this, that isn't enough. So in the case of 14A, had not one of the other designated ACs voted in favor, it wouldn't have been authorized if Anch AC vote was a tie.

This came up several times at the meeting and the Chairman kept saying he was not attacking individual ACs (though he kinda was <grin>) but rather the public for not showing up enough to sway the votes or get elected to those ACs. Steve Flory also testified and announced he was not seeking reelection to Anch AC when his term expires (in May I think).

It is up to us, to the public, to get involved when we aren't happy with the way things are going.
    So who wins Mark?

You think its O.K. Even though you have seen what it did in the past, I think its not O.K. because of what I've seen in the past.

Whats wrong with building a moose pop. to ensure the future for our children.

I was brought up to notice males from females and that the critters were the same, the females bring into this world a whole new generation, and it takes just a few males to keep up that process.

Cars be ****ed, browse be damed. You chose to live in Alaska, don't kill it. ( And thats whats being done.)

What's the point of building up an unhuntable population of animals Rock Skipper, with all the inherent negatives you want to d@#n? Whats wrong with a hunt designed to keep animals back away from roads and letting a few more families make meat for the year?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    So who wins Mark?

You think its O.K. Even though you have seen what it did in the past, I think its not O.K. because of what I've seen in the past.

I was brought up to notice males from females and that the critters were the same, the females bring into this world a whole new generation, and it takes just a few males to keep up that process.

Cars be ****ed, browse be damed. You chose to live in Alaska, don't kill it. ( And thats whats being done.)
    So what happens when our population has exceeded it's objective? The best way to bring it back down is by harvesting cows, and when the AC has an opinion that "cows shouldn't be harvested, ever" where does that leave us?

By regulation all antlerless moose hunts have to be renewed each year. So that is one part of the problem, it comes up every year. People need to know who they are voting for or who gets put in these AC's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    So who wins Mark?

14A has a healthy moose population. Been that way for quite some time now. We lost the antlerless hunts a few years back for one year due to the high amount of snow we got, but turned out the moose did really well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

14A moose pop has been increasing since about 2000 where it previously hovered around 5000-5500. It is now about 8000-8500. The pop objective for 14A is 6000-6500.

Currently moose harvest in 14A has averaged just over 900 moose in 2013 and 2014 (45% bulls and 55% cows). This is the highest harvest of any gmu in the state. This increase level of harvest is focused on bringing the pop down quickly. Dm413 has been expanded to the entire 14a and number of permits issued has increase for 2015.