Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster suggestions

Default Holster suggestions

I'm thinking about buying a Simply Rugged holster with straps for chest.
    I like that I can use it on a belt and across the chest.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a similar holster with dual use? (chest and waist)

Or anyone with any positive or negative experiences with the Simply Rugged holsters?

I tried to contact them through an email to ask if they could carve a specific design on the
    holster but they did not respond. Then much later, I noticed their message on their site basically
    saying don't contact them for this and that reason. I guess it's a smaller business. It just makes
    me concerned that if I can't contact them to ask questions before hand, can't order by phone,
    and can't follow up on orders later. Then what will happen if there is eventually a problem. Will
    they just not respond? But I do like their pancake holsters and the idea of the straps that attach
    to the holsters.

I originally heard about their holsters from a YouTube channel.

So I'm wondering if anyone else makes a pancake style holster with chest straps? Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Diamond D Guides Choice. Spendy but worth every penny. I bet Dave could customize one to work on the belt as well.

http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I've got both of those. Simply rugged works better in some respects. DD works better in a different respect. DD is a hell of a lot better looking and is local. I may use the Simply Rugged more.

The tightening system on the DD is way easier. But the DD doesn't have a strap to anchor the bottom down, so the holster could move with the gun on drawing.

I don think I have the DD fully broken in.

DD does make belt holsters, I don't know if they make one that can do both. You should go to their shop in Wasilla to check them out.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Seems to me, a holster for dual usage is more trouble than it's worth. Wouldn't you need to carry additional straps to put it on your chest?

For a field gun/beeg revolver, I like the DD chest holster, (Guides Choice), but I also have a DD Hip Holster for those occasions where the chest rig doesn't work. I just take them both along, and use one or the other.

There is no rearranging or adjusting with either. Just take the gun out of one and put it in the other, and strap it on.

It was added expense, but could be $$ well spent, when I feel it's important to have the revolver with me.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Check out 7xleather. Wes does an excellent job and can custom build whatever you want. Just call him up and discuss what you would like.
    His holsters have been featured in several different articles.

The dual use on the Simply Rugged doesn't really change anything other than the size of the holes the chest straps fasten to. The straps fasten to belt-width holes.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    The dual use on the Simply Rugged doesn't really change anything other than the size of the holes the chest straps fasten to. The straps fasten to belt-width holes.
    I'm not sure what you mean.

With the DD chest rig, the straps are permanently attached, so you don't need belt loops. Granted, it is ONLY a chest rig, which is why I have the extra holster, although I can't say that I've ever needed it. But then I might.

My point is that there is no feeding through belt loops and adjusting straps. It's Easy On, and Off.

Isn't the SR chest rig, just a pancake design with a provision for using straps for hanging it on your chest? Currently, the website shows only one picture of the chest arrangement.

SOTN

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowchaser View Post

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a similar holster with dual use? (chest and waist)

Or anyone with any positive or negative experiences with the Simply Rugged holsters?

I tried to contact them through an email to ask if they could carve a specific design on the
    holster but they did not respond. Then much later, I noticed their message on their site basically
    saying don't contact them for this and that reason. I guess it's a smaller business. It just makes
    me concerned that if I can't contact them to ask questions before hand, can't order by phone,
    and can't follow up on orders later. Then what will happen if there is eventually a problem. Will
    they just not respond? But I do like their pancake holsters and the idea of the straps that attach
    to the holsters.

So I'm wondering if anyone else makes a pancake style holster with chest straps? Any suggestions?

Thanks...
    OK, I had difficulty with the guy early on, when he was in Alaska, and his business was new.

Since he was local, I wanted to come see his holsters, and decide, but he would have none of it.

He wanted me to take what he recommended, and eventually stated the only way I could get one was to order it onLine. I have no idea what kind of support he offers.

So, when he got ugly, I didn't order, and then I shortly discovered Dave Johnstons DD operation. I've gotten 4 holsters, and a couple knife sheathes from him.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I got a Simply Rugged combo with a handgun I bought a while back and I just don't care for the chesty rig as compared to the DD ones. It may be that I am just spoiled with using the DD's. I have a custom chest rig from Rowe Leather that fits great, but I just prefer the DD and the simplicity of it. If I need a belt holster, I will just use a designated one...just my .02. I know others really like them and this is not a bash on the Simply Rugged brand at all.

to the holsters.

Thanks...
    FWIW I have been using a Simply Rugged Pancake for several years. I do not have the Chesty Puller straps cuz I don't care for a chest rig. It gets in the way of my binos, backpack straps, Fishing vest, etc. I have a couple of friends that have the CP Straps and like the setup but you need to have the retainer strap.

Having said that, I like the pancake design and wear it mostly strongside. I have the retainer strap but really only use it to keep the holster and gun together when not on my belt. Once I put it on, the pancake design keeps it secure. I tuck the strap away. A good tug and out comes the gun.

Rob Leahy used to live and run his business in AK. I know for a time he had some health problems and now resides in AZ. Myself and many others have had no problems dealing with him.

Carrying cross draw the strap works good to keep the gun in since the pancake design is not really intended for cross draw.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have the Chesty Puller rig and it works well over a coat but I don't like it when wearing a tee shirt in warm weather. I bought it because I have several pancake holsters with 3 loops and the rig can be adjusted to fit them all. It is a minor chore, but it can be done. The strap over the shoulder could be wider. All in all it's not a bad rig.

I'm thinking of getting a Guide's Choice for my 45LC Blackhawk and 44 Mag SBH since they will both fit the same holster. I use a 30 year old hip holster now and it pulls my pants down and quickly becomes a pain in the butt...actually. Pancakes are much better since they hold the gun higher and don't tend to pull down so much. I think the DD may be the answer for me...we'll see.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have the Chesty Puller rig and it works well over a coat but I don't like it when wearing a tee shirt in warm weather. I bought it because I have several pancake holsters with 3 loops and the rig can be adjusted to fit them all. It is a minor chore, but it can be done. The strap over the shoulder could be wider. All in all it's not a bad rig.

I'm thinking of getting a Guide's Choice for my 45LC Blackhawk and 44 Mag SBH since they will both fit the same holster. I use a 30 year old hip holster now and it pulls my pants down and quickly becomes a pain in the butt...actually. Pancakes are much better since they hold the gun higher and don't tend to pull down so much. I think the DD may be the answer for me...we'll see.
    I've got a Guide's Choice if you want to check it out. Not for a Blackhawk, but it'll give you an idea of how it carries.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Thanks Traveler...I looked back here too late!!

I just ordered the DD for the SBH and they promised to ship it next week (it's a President's Day present to myself). Nice folks and they had the one I wanted in stock. I ordered the 5.5" so it will be a bit long for my 4 5/8" BH but should fit the SBH just fine. I didn't order the ammo loops since I'll be using 3 calibers if I choose to carry my 4 5/8" .357 mag BH and the 6 1/2" should fit pretty good too since they're all the same frame now.

I'm looking forward to it's arrival!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Thanks for the replies. A lot of good points were made.
    I am buying the holster for my Ruger Alaskan. So I thought it would be nice to have a bear paw print
    on the holster like on the Mernickle Model FC13 REF2. http://www.mernickleholsters.com/fc/fc13r2.html
    I also originally saw the Mernickle on YT. (Gunblast) Does anyone have any experiences dealing with Mernickle?

I'm starting to wonder if I should just move to Arizona since the gun guys are moving there from Alaska? j/k
    I actually got the worst sun burn of my life in Arizona. I think I'm better off sticking to colder weather than hot.

Snyd- Good point about the retainer strap. I was originally going to order a pancake without one.

Smitty- I guess I like things that do double duty. Because the holster would work on a belt or chest. But I am starting
    to wonder if I should just get a chest holster like a DD because that was the main reason for buying my Alaskan. To carry
    it on the chest while hiking. I have a chest holster from Cabelas for another revolver. That holster tends to droop down some.
    I always have to try to adjust it up on my shoulder more. Your experience with SR reminds of watching earlier Orange county chopper
    shows where Senior told customers what they wanted related to motorcycles.

I think the Simply Rugged loop to the belt is extra money. But I can't find the additional cost stated on the site. I might be missing
    something.

Some of the pictures of the DD chest holster look like it sits lower. So I don't think it would interfere with my binocs. I use the straps
    that go around the shoulders instead of around the back of the neck.
    I have to look back at the 7xleather site.

I'm also trying to locate a enclosed trailer. But I need to order a holster soon. I've been watching YT videos of Anchorage being in the 40's.
    Our current temp here is -8.

You can move both around to different positions. DD seems like it can almost go underarm like a jack*ss rig, but not quite.

The harness system on DD is a lot more user friendly because of it's basic design. The simply rugged takes more work to adjust because all adjustments function like a belt.

Smitty- I guess I like things that do double duty. Because the holster would work on a belt or chest. But I am starting
    to wonder if I should just get a chest holster like a DD because that was the main reason for buying my Alaskan. To carry
    it on the chest while hiking. I have a chest holster from Cabelas for another revolver. That holster tends to droop down some.
    I always have to try to adjust it up on my shoulder more. Your experience with SR reminds of watching earlier Orange county chopper
    shows where Senior told customers what they wanted related to motorcycles.

I think the Simply Rugged loop to the belt is extra money. But I can't find the additional cost stated on the site. I might be missing
    something.

Some of the pictures of the DD chest holster look like it sits lower. So I don't think it would interfere with my binocs. I use the straps
    that go around the shoulders instead of around the back of the neck.
    I have to look back at the 7xleather site.

I'm also trying to locate a enclosed trailer. But I need to order a holster soon. I've been watching YT videos of Anchorage being in the 40's.
    Our current temp here is -8.
    If I could only have one, I'd probably go with the DD Chest Holster. The Hip Holster I have is just for those occasions where the Chest Holster may not work.

I can move mine around quite a bit, just by loosening the pull tightener, and pulling it tight again. I can still carry a pack with it on. It's so comfortable, you can forget it's there, and my 44 S&W is a big gun with a 6" barrel.

Mine has a hammer loop to hold the gun in, but I don't, and don't need, to use it when I'm carrying the gun. This is primarily because, DD holsters have a Tension Screw on the holster that can be adjusted. The gun is so tight it won't fall out when the holster is upside down and shaken, yet it still comes free with a yank.

Dave's holsters are a work of art. The leather is double thick, smooth side in, and smooth side out. It even works for a CC carry, if I'm wearing a big winter coat. I can walk around the neighborhood, and talk to folks, and they have no idee, I got a beeg fordy fore under my coat.

I should stop raving about how great the DD holster is, but it's just that it's perfect for my purposes, like when I have to buck the brush to get to a couple of places I like to fish. It rides on my chest, under my coat, and/or raincoat, out of the rain. I just keep the top of the coat open a bit which I do anyway.

I find it hard to keep a hip holster dry under wet conditions. The brush gets wet and that transfers to the gun and holster. I carried my Ruger Single Six high on my right hip for years, partly under my coat, and you should see it, and the holster NOW.

If you wanna forgo the expense of a chest holster, you can wear most any holster with the belt around over your opposite shoulder, bandoleer style. This is best done with wide, thin, flexible, Nylon strap. OR, you can cut the belt in pieces and put the pieces back together with rivets that are loose enough to allow the belt to flex and lay flat on your shoulder and chest.

Many's the time when I've taken my belt and gun from around my waist and hung it like that just to keep it out of the wet.

I don't like the way the SR works on the chest, but the pancake holster design is great for the hip. I have a pancake holster for one of my CC guns, and they hold a handgun very securely, which is a great feature for a field gun.

Lots of folks get along just fine with a Hip Holster, I did, and you can too. One thing I DON'T like is wearing one on my waist cross-draw, on the Left side for draw with my Right hand. With the butt forward, your gun can catch on the brush, and you can lose it or get leaves and debris in your gun and holster. But, of course, that depends on conditions.

I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine. Good Luck.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,

You sound like you're running for Congress...

I think I basically need a couple holsters. I have at least three holsters for another revolver.
    I was trying to take a short cut. I'll probably buy one or the other now and get the other later.
    I like how the pancake holsters are smooth so they shouldn't print on clothing. But would
    like a decent chest holster that won't droop. So I'll probably either get a pancake hip holster
    now and then put additional money towards something like a DD chest holster. Or get the DD
    now and then get a pancake holster later. I'll eventually end up with a few holsters for my Alaskan.

I think I basically need a couple holsters. I have at least three holsters for another revolver.
    I was trying to take a short cut. I'll probably buy one or the other now and get the other later.
    I like how the pancake holsters are smooth so they shouldn't print on clothing. But would
    like a decent chest holster that won't droop. So I'll probably either get a pancake hip holster
    now and then put additional money towards something like a DD chest holster. Or get the DD
    now and then get a pancake holster later. I'll eventually end up with a few holsters for my Alaskan.
    Yup. Dual purpose can be great but not cover all the bases. With my 4" Redhawk I use 2 holsters. I put the SR Pancake on my belt and since it lays flat, I can put on my day pack and cinch up the belt. The Redhawks then goes in a nylon Uncle Mikes on the pack belt cross draw. When we stop to have lunch, pic berries, whatever. I drop the pack and holster the gun in the pancake. It's just one of many ways to do things. In this pick I have the SR Pancake on my pants belt.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd,

Are those Herrett grips on your Redhawk? Do you like them pretty well? Your set up is clean and simple.

I got an Alps day pack set up for Christmas because it has a wide belt and you can carry most of the weight on your hips. It also has a pouch on the back pack for a rifle butt or a bow if you want to strap it there rather than carrying it or on a sling. Haven't really tried it yet but it seems like it works well. The belt is wide (about 7") enough to comfortably carry a paddle pancake on either side. I went snow shoeing with it lightly loaded and a Beretta 92 on the belt and I can't even tell it's there. I'm hoping the DD will hold the gun just above the belt and below the chest strap...we'll see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast