Thread: scotty DR

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default scotty DR

I've used big johns, cannon, scotty and im sure some others. Scotties seem to hold up better as far as user error like snagging the bottom or kelp, they dont break, normally. The issues I been having is counters both the digital and anolog they just quit. Also the decent is slow sometimes and then it gets ok. The ball also creeps back down when up. I sent one in for maintenance and was told it was my boat wiring(it was not). That one that I was told was my wiring infact was a loose wire in the machine. Im sure since I took it apart the warrenty is void. The motor compartment was full of water. I heard guys are drilling holes in the bottom of the housing to drain the "water proof" housing. I once sent my electric to scotty years ago and they claimed I submerged the unit, I didnt but it sits on the boat 24-7 365, since I opened this one I can see why they thought I submerged it. Has anyone found a "real' downrigger? maybe a commercial gurdie? Oh the rigger that was flooded is about 11months old and all corroded inside, Im spraying with WD and using an airhose to dry it out. I'll prolly clean the wiring and restrip and fasten the real bad ones. Someone has make a better downrigger.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I don't want one but manual one..............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jeff, I'm running Big Jon's and haven't had any issues. I just replaced the first pair I bought in 08. They're done a bit trying to get into the salt market, new motor coatings, carbon fiber clutches are the 2 that come to mind. I'm running Capt's Packs, but they have one, the Brute ES, that I keep eyeballing real hard, if I need the speed. Nice thing I like about them, I don;t have to stand there next to them to let the rigger down. Talk to Greg at Hunting and Fishing USA, he's a big dealer for them and usually gets me a great deal.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Jeff, I think both Mack's and Cy's are dealers and Cy's was a repair center and Mack's might also be. I think if you leave them out all the time you might have to take them apart every once in a while and spray with corrosion block. On the older ones the motors starting to go could cause them to go down slow but have not seen that yet on the newer ones. There is a tension arm on the newer ones you can adjust to let the ball go down slower or faster. If it eases back down after you brought it up you might need to take a turn on the nut to put a little more tension on the brake. Hope some of this helps but you might talk to Jesse at Mack's. Oh and I think the digital counters are covered by warranty.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Thanks guys, I guess doing your own maintenance on downriggers is inevitable, seems manufactures that give commercial or sport guys a price break would make it clear that we need to do our own maintenance and provide some insight to what will break and provide parts. On a positive note the motor housing was almost full of water and it still worked!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Some of the guys here in Homer are trying to get a repair guy set up. In talking to scotty it comes down to that "you should buy a spare downrigger if you can't wait to get back". On scotty's the counters seem to all be off in 50ft mine say 42ft.

They are pretty simple but adding another maintenance item is almost overwhelming ontop all the other items we gotta keep working, a place to ship these riggers would be nice they are easier to work on than reels! I have a shed full of spares that I keep to scavenge from, old scotty elecs to manuals now the new high performance. Im glad booms, pullies and bases are same. I havent checked to see if the switches are the same yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Some of the guys here in Homer are trying to get a repair guy set up. In talking to scotty it comes down to that "you should buy a spare downrigger if you can't wait to get back". On scotty's the counters seem to all be off in 50ft mine say 42ft.
    www.kodiakcombos.com