Thread: Thoughts on this Wooldridge?

Default Thoughts on this Wooldridge?

I'm looking for a 20-22' jet boat for trips out on the Sound and running larger rivers in the Interior. Would also want to use it for dipping on the Kenai and maybe at Chitna, and possibly for runs up the Knik to the Glacier (I'm based in Anchortown). This will be my first jet boat; I previously ran a 28' fiberglass boat on the Sound. Would appreciate some feedback on the boat linked below for these purposes. Wondering if this appears to be a decent deal.

I've asked for information on the engine hours, maintenance, fuel economy, repairs, etc.

Thanks, guys.

I don't see a link...?
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4888819950.html

Shoot. Sorry about that. Link above.

2000 hours on the engine. Rebuilt at some point but owner doesn't know when....

That is very good reliable boat, motor, jet combo. Way overpriced. 15k or less more realistic if its 100%
    Last fall I got A Turnkey 1997 25' Thunderjet with 212 with A new 8.1 for 23k. Out of Fairbanks.
    You should shop around.

When did Woolies come with a a 3 piece walk through winshield?
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I think that is a very well setup boat if your main use will be long river trips in the interior, there's a lot of money already spent for you in the hard top and storage rack. If the motor has 2000 hours I would say the price is a high. Check and see what stainless impellers are in it and the shape they are in because that is potentially costly if you need to rebuild all 3 of them and have to provide anymore maintenance to the jet. Like I said it is a very well setup boat for certain things but if i think you could find a similar setup with a bigger pump and motor that would make long river trips more enjoyable.
    Fuel economy is going to be around 10-12 gph cruising at 28-32mpg I would guess, curious what the owner has told you?

Woolies had three piece windshield in the 80's. I have a couple in the shop now one 81 and a 83. Nit if you look at the pics he posted, that is a modern two piece windshield.

A boat is a boat, a Wooldridge is a Wooldridge. The hull has its value and design characteristics that many boats don't have no matter how old or new. My bigger concern would be the condition of the power plant and jet. A replacement fund should be established. To replace that boat you would spend three times that amount.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    When did Woolies come with a a 3 piece walk through winshield?

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    Woolies had three piece windshield in the 80's. I have a couple in the shop now one 81 and a 83. Nit if you look at the pics he posted, that is a modern two piece windshield.

A boat is a boat, a Wooldridge is a Wooldridge. The hull has its value and design characteristics that many boats don't have no matter how old or new. My bigger concern would be the condition of the power plant and jet. A replacement fund should be established. To replace that boat you would spend three times that amount.

Tom
    Good to know. All the Woolies i have seen have the two piece windshield. i just really looked at the first pic and after scrolling through them is see the two piece windshield.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I would guess the boat is an 1982-85 " no swim step" they used to replace standard jet cover with aluminum one like this boat has. Not a factory trailer or hard top, looks like a nice job on the top. Twin 30 gal tanks a bit small, they offered 60 gal tanks as well back then they may not fit now with the hard top rear bulkhead.
    Ran the same set up for 3 years, will work on the rivers and ok for the salt, not a long Yukon trip or a Montague island boat. Good starter boat, ask about a heater, brass or stainless impellers? Who rebuilt engine? Get with the shop to get the date of work done. That may get you a better idea of hrs on the engine. I would prefer a 212 Hamilton and bigger engine but they seem very hard to find.
    I would budget an engine not far down the line. Everything would have to be in excellent shape for that $$$$$$
    Looks to have Idaho CG registration?? Did it originate there?

I would look closely at it for corrosion issues. Painted aluminum boats used in the salt end up with crevice corrosion issues. The wrap on the cab may be covering up some issues. I would also look closely below deck and everywhere for pitting or other signs of serious issues.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I don't know much about jet boats but 60 gallons and a V-8 inboard jet sure doesn't sound like much fuel/range

This looks like a clean used Wooldridge, newer trailer and kicker.
    I know Wooldridge did the new floors, top,swim step, and kicker install.
    http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...sled-102436087

2000 hours on the motor? It will need to be replaced in my book. A crate motor for 9k or so and you can have it going in a week if you do it yourself. 351 Marine parts are starting to get a little scarce, a 350 or better chevy motor would work good in that boat. The Kodiak jet will work fine for years and there are parts everywhere for them. It is far from obsolete. 60 gallon tanks, likely on the sides instead of under the floor. They take up a bunch of room and there is not a lot of space to store stuff. You will need extra fuel cans for long trips in the sound. Most day trips on the river that is fine. It would be a good Yukon boat with a new motor and a fist full of $100 bills for gas. If the boat does not have any corrosion issues and the trailer is in good shape, it sounds like what you want, just a little spendy with that old of a motor. I like the hard top.

Guys,

Thanks much for your advice. We decided to pass on this boat for a couple of reasons, not the least of which was the twelve-hour round-trip drive to check it out. But not being able to run a motor that sure had something to do with it.

Ultimately, we decided to buy a 22' North River Commander. 270 hours on the 5.7L, 320 HP 350. Beautiful condition. Looking forward to getting her out on the water this spring.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.