Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detachable magazines?

Default Detachable magazines?

Detachable magazines on an Alaskan big game rifle give me the creeps as I alays picture them getting lost and being a pain to load as compared to a regular magazine rifle. My son-in-law received a Savage 30-06 from his father many years ago and never has found the detachable magazine. I know they have been used on .22 rim fires and battle rifles for a long time and for the most part work fine. But, how many carry a spare magazine in the field for a hunting rifle? Any way I would be interested in hearing your stories. I also wish some one like Winchester or Ruger would make a bolt action 5.56 and .308 Win. and I would want them to use the 10 round AR magazines and the MIAI magazines and have a 21 inch barrel and a good pop up receiver sight and short rail for scopes. Maybe some day.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I never tried a Detachable Magazines on a big game rifle, but if the kind that are flush, I could probably live with it. IF, they were easy to change out, and I had a cupla spare ones. It sounds like a quick way to reload.

I hear folks dirtymouth them, but I hear the same about Hinged Floorplates.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I don't see the purpose of detachable mags in a hunting rifle. You could probably load and unload one a bit faster but are you really in that big of hurry when hunting. If I had a rifle with detachable mag I would consider a spare mag taped to the gun a necessity as sooner or later the mag will become separated from the gun. Most of my hunting rifles hold 4 or 5 rounds and if someday I starting shooting badly enough to need more than that, I can always chamber load a couple pretty quick.

I have several, mostly because the rifle I wanted only came that way. A prime example is my Savage 99C in 284 Win. Sure I could have passed on the rifle when it came along, holding out for one of the equally scarce versions without the clip (Savage's choice of words rather than "magazine," not mine). Same for my Win M-88 in 358 Win. Owned a BLR 308 for quite a while too. Never a problem.

Do I seek them out simply because they've got the mag? Nope. But I'm certainly not turning down a good rifle because of it. I've simply never had one of the theoretical problems. After all, defensive handguns are much more commonly used in life-threatening situations, and I don't hear anyone recommending against detachable mags due to the potential for failure. Why the double standard on detachable mags for rifles?

In fact the only magazine problems I've had in rifles have been with fixed mags. One with a drop floorplate and one without. The latter had a weak follower spring and was prone to doubling or not feeding at all.

The other is really scary. It a 7# lightweight 375H&H. Every time you pull the trigger, recoil is bad enough it overcomes the latch spring and drops the extra rounds on the ground at your feet. Could pin it and be done with it, or I could diddle around with stronger latch springs. Thirty years ago I did a short-term fix with a strip of duct tape. Still there. Kinda like the looks of it and the Alaska spirit of the duct tape on an Alaska rifle.

I have a mix of rifles with each and can't say they have ever been a problem. One might argue they can cause more dirt and debris to get into your gun due to the process, but also it makes it pretty easy to clean vs a fixed so??? Sure a hunter can forget and leave or loose a magazine but I have never had it happen? The new Browning X Bolts fit nice and flush and have performed very flawlessly for me, I throw an xtra mag in my pocket and beats loose ammo banging around IMO...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I've got a couple rifles with them. Never had any issues with them but they're not my preference. I will say that the center feed of some of the detachable mag rifles like the X-Bolt and Tikka make for a really smooth chambering rifle.

As much as people gripe about them, problems seem to be more theoretical than actual. I do know one guy who lost a Sako 75 mag while hunting and a couple others who had floor plate issues (bombs away!)....but of all the hunters I know and hunts I hear about, that's a pretty small number of folks.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have had many and no problems so far. My only rifle now is a Remington 760,mag in the rifle and one in the pocket good to go.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've got a mix of rifles as well, with and without detachable magazines. As others have mentioned, no problems here. In fact the only magazine problems I have had, were with a blind magazine. I usually carry an extra magazine for the rifles I do have that are detachable, but I have never needed it. I really don't see what the problems are that people have with detachable magazines on hunting rifles. I have a friend that swears them off on hunting rifles, but he has never owned a hunting rifle with one until he bought a Savage 116 with one last fall. Now he brags about the rifle all the time, and how he can "slap" his magazine in when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I also wish some one like Winchester or Ruger would make a bolt action 5.56 and .308 Win. and I would want them to use the 10 round AR magazines and the MIAI magazines and have a 21 inch barrel and a good pop up receiver sight and short rail for scopes. Maybe some day.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just describe a Scout Rifle? Ruger does make one and, at one time, Savage and, I believe, Steyer made a version.

I, for one, am done with both detachable magazines and semi-automatic firearms in general. I've got a Remington Nylon with a detachable magazine that I had to buy a new spring steel latch for because it wouldn't hold a magazine in place. I'm about ready to sell that one.

I've never owned an AR (obviously) but I've heard from the older guys when I was in the Army that the A1 models and even more so the early A models the magazines would drop down a fraction of an inch in the magazine well and then jam the gun or, if the ammo wasn't placed all the way to the rear of the magazine, the nose pf the bullet would hit something in the gun, the base would tip up coming off the folower and jam the gun. (I HAVE had that happen to me-once.) Anyway, enough people like them and have little issues with them. They wouldn't be so popular if they weren't successful.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I don't see the purpose of detachable mags in a hunting rifle. You could probably load and unload one a bit faster but are you really in that big of hurry when hunting. If I had a rifle with detachable mag I would consider a spare mag taped to the gun a necessity as sooner or later the mag will become separated from the gun. Most of my hunting rifles hold 4 or 5 rounds and if someday I starting shooting badly enough to need more than that, I can always chamber load a couple pretty quick.
    I asked a hunting friend of mine WHY any bolt gun would need a detachable magazine and he mentioned in his home state (Michigan I think) that they couldn't drive with a loaded gun in the car, so everyone used detachable mag guns so they could load quickly if they jumped a deer driving down the road. Fair enough.

I just bought my first bolt rifle with a detachable mag, so far no troubles, we'll see how it stands up to spring bear mountain climbing.

I've owned all kinds of rifles and the detachable magazine isn't a new idea, it's simply better executed on newer rifles than it has been in the past. Personally I prefer blind magazines on my rifles, but looking at the available models presently being built I see that I'm in the minority. IME most everything presents advantages and disadvantages and detachable magazines are no exception. I've always found detachable magazine's advantages to be largely useless and have been hindered by their disadvantages enough that I want no part of one in a bolt-action rifle.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I asked a hunting friend of mine WHY any bolt gun would need a detachable magazine and he mentioned in his home state (Michigan I think) that they couldn't drive with a loaded gun in the car, so everyone used detachable mag guns so they could load quickly if they jumped a deer driving down the road. Fair enough.

I just bought my first bolt rifle with a detachable mag, so far no troubles, we'll see how it stands up to spring bear mountain climbing.
    I never thunk of that, but it's valid.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just describe a Scout Rifle? Ruger does make one and, at one time, Savage and, I believe, Steyer made a version.

I, for one, am done with both detachable magazines and semi-automatic firearms in general. I've got a Remington Nylon with a detachable magazine that I had to buy a new spring steel latch for because it wouldn't hold a magazine in place. I'm about ready to sell that one.

I've never owned an AR (obviously) but I've heard from the older guys when I was in the Army that the A1 models and even more so the early A models the magazines would drop down a fraction of an inch in the magazine well and then jam the gun or, if the ammo wasn't placed all the way to the rear of the magazine, the nose pf the bullet would hit something in the gun, the base would tip up coming off the folower and jam the gun. (I HAVE had that happen to me-once.) Anyway, enough people like them and have little issues with them. They wouldn't be so popular if they weren't successful.
    I'm purty shore that the Ruger Scout Rifles have their own proprietary magazines.

What is popular has to do with what is available, as well as what is perferred.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

If you're road hunting, you might as well just drop one in the chamber. I assume one must at least get out of the vehicle and off the road. Plenty of time to shove a couple in the mag as you're getting off the road. If you're shooting out the window, you're probably illegal anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    If you're road hunting, you might as well just drop one in the chamber. I assume one must at least get out of the vehicle and off the road. Plenty of time to shove a couple in the mag as you're getting off the road. If you're shooting out the window, you're probably illegal anyhow.
    Do you know of a logical reason behind detachable magazines on bolt guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preface. I'm not an expert. I'm just a thinker. So take it for what it's worth.

My thought would be the ability to carry 2 or maybe 3 (or more) different loads depending on the situation and have them all pre-loaded for convenience. Might be one reason. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

My thought would be the ability to carry 2 or maybe 3 (or more) different loads depending on the situation and have them all pre-loaded for convenience. Might be one reason. Just a thought.
    Good point, that might really make sense in an area where you might find deer/bear/fur all at the same time, maybe fall time in the northeast and northwest?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

I suspect that this response might catch some heat, but I kind of like how easy it is to remove all rounds from my .308 w/ a detachable magazine. I don't normally carry a round in the chamber, so if I get back to camp and lay my gun down around my young nephews, I just pop the magazine out, stick it in my pocket and don't worry about whatever mischief they might get into with the gun. That doesn't replace educating them about proper gun safety, but I still do it. When I have a rifle with an internal magazine I am much more likely to leave the gun loaded in my tent.

We shoot browning a-bolts with detach mags, love 'em. Drop the plate, pop off mag, done.You can't load or unload a hinged plate or top feed as fast or easily as a single push of a button. Never, never, never has any of them opened and dropped the clip.
    Love it for hunting from the boats, get out, pop in clip and your off. Back to boat, press a button and pop clip in pocket....done.

Its the difference between feeding a revolver and a semi pistol, to each his own. Some like apples, others oranges, neither is wrong I suppose. Personally, I love my clip fed hunting rifles.
    Bk

Using certain magazine setups you can extend COAL for bolt action rifles. It's the only reason that would interest me....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast