Thread: Caribou Ridge Taxidermy

Default Caribou Ridge Taxidermy

Opinions, reviews, comments?? PM is fine if that's what you want to do. Thanks.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Never had any work done by him due to proximity however I have spoke to him and he is a very nice guy!!

Not Much on his website, Maybe its because he is a new guy or just that he hasn't done much work.

He talks more about his Military service more than his Taxidermy education. I feel that if you are trying to advertise your business , That is what you should put on your website , but everybody is different.

The School he went to is not the best . but you get what you pay for I guess .

If I was a hunter I would want more assurance of quality for my trophies.

Just my opinion.
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    www.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

You do birds RJ?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Not anymore .

I quit doing them about 10 years ago because I Hated doing them.
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Not anymore .

I quit doing them about 10 years ago because I Hated doing them.
    So then do you have a good reference for someone who does?

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Not Much on his website, Maybe its because he is a new guy or just that he hasn't done much work.

He talks more about his Military service more than his Taxidermy education. I feel that if you are trying to advertise your business , That is what you should put on your website , but everybody is different.

The School he went to is not the best . but you get what you pay for I guess .

If I was a hunter I would want more assurance of quality for my trophies.

Just my opinion.
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    www.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936
    Wow, I guess he must be terrible……..

I wouldn't judge until you see his work. My taxidermist doesn't have a website, doesn't advertise and is really busy. Do you know why? Because he's awesome.

I've spoken with him. Nice guy. Never had him do any work though.

If your interested in a taxidermist, give them a call or stop by their shop and see for yourself rather than listening to the biased opinions on this forum. As mentioned above, a website doesn't make a taxidermist. Talk their clients or ask them for references, this goes for any taxidermist.

Hoyt, what are you going to get mounted? I shot a beautiful Harlie drake on Kodiak a few years back but the moving company crushed it so it looks like I'll start my quest for another one soon.

If you really want to see what he does, stop by or follow his FB page. He has photos of a lot of his work there. I'd reckon social media is a lot easier to deal with than a website.

He's doing a mount for my son currently, his shop was clean...full of work in progress and had some good looking finished pieces.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Very well said... Seeing in person is the number one best way to determine quality.

There is no way to get an accurate idea of quality workmanship by a low resolution photo that is 4"x6", unless the image is a close up that shows actual details. Although sometimes it is very very obvious with poor workmanship.

Bummer about your Harlie! I would have been PO'd!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

The only advice you should take when looking for a taxidermist is, "Go to their shop and check them out. Look close at their finished mounts and check out the quality. Ask questions about their process." As Juli stated, close up pictures of the detail work will give you an excellent idea but nothing beats actually looking at the finished mount. My taxidermist is another that does not have a web site and does not advertising. He doesn't have to because he does awesome work and wins at the Alaska SCI banquet each year (except this year, he wasn't there).

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    If your interested in a taxidermist, give them a call or stop by their shop and see for yourself rather than listening to the biased opinions on this forum. As mentioned above, a website doesn't make a taxidermist. Talk their clients or ask them for references, this goes for any taxidermist.

Hoyt, what are you going to get mounted? I shot a beautiful Harlie drake on Kodiak a few years back but the moving company crushed it so it looks like I'll start my quest for another one soon.
    Oddly enough a drake Harlie I took down in Cold bay this year. I’m not a huge waterfowl guy, but a friend was on a magazine assignment and I got to go for free! I took one of my setters for the ptarmigan. He got some great shots and will have an article in Hunt Alaska, and Shooting Sportsman soon on the trip! What a blast. I have some other birds mounted, and after looking at that harlie, I just figured I had to get it done as well! It will look good with the rest of my mounts. I just got some ptarmigan back that look good, but I sent them out, so it took way longer than stated and was expensive with the shipping. I’m just trying to find someone good local. Sucks about your mount.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    If you really want to see what he does, stop by or follow his FB page. He has photos of a lot of his work there. I'd reckon social media is a lot easier to deal with than a website.

He's doing a mount for my son currently, his shop was clean...full of work in progress and had some good looking finished pieces.
    I am following his FB page, and have corresponded with him. Seems like a nice guy. I just like to get folks opinions as well. Great advice and thank you for the response!

I picked my son's mount up today... well pleased with how it looks, and delivered right on schedule.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I picked my son's mount up today... well pleased with how it looks, and delivered right on schedule.
    Could you post a Picture?