Thread: Fuel burn calculator device

Default Fuel burn calculator device

“Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

oops - need to do some research before I ask ?'s

I noticed that for inboard diesels, they sell a Flowscan unit. Those are not temperature compensated, so they are always inaccurate. If you want the "real thing", then look at Maretron FFM100. These do not change accuracy due to volume changes in the fuel as the temperature swings. I have used both and the Maretron is deadly accurate. I'm not sure how much the volume of gasoline changes with temperature, but I'm sure it does. I do know Maretron has gasoline flow meter options.

OK - so I have a 2005 model lowrance 5200C that is on a nmea2000 network. Can I just buy the Yamaha interface cable and use the 5200C to show the fuel burn etc or do I HAVE to buy the F200 unit also?

my garmin is a 546s and is nmea0183 so that won't prob work

The Lowrance cable should connect the Yamaha OB to the N2K bus. Lowrance supports that directly. Here is a quick instruction sheet. The problem shows up when you have the Yamaha Command Link hub. At that point, you would need a gateway to get out of the Yamaha bus, and into the N2K bus. You are correct that N0183 will not work as a protocol for this. The common method between devices is the N2K bus, or DeviceNet.

The manual for the lowrance 5200c says " The Engine-Tank configuration menu is located below the NMEA-2000 Devices list, but will only be accessible if a Suzuki engine Interface, EP-10 fuel flow, EP-15 Fluid Level, IP-45 Pressure Sensor or EP-50 Storage Device are on the network."

Is the Yamaha output for fuel flow the EP-10?

I think I will order the cable interface and try it. If it doesn't work, then I'll buy the F200 display module. I am hoping the Lowrance will do it.

I did read on other forums that the NMEA1083 will also work (the 5200C has both network capabilities, but I think mine is set to NMEA2000...I am out of town working or would check.).