Thread: crooked peep sight

Default crooked peep sight

So, my peep sight does not line up correctly when I am at full draw... looks like an oval rather than a circle. I know this is because the string is not twisting around fully when I come to full draw.

Is this something I can fix or just take it to the bow shop?

The D loop is at a 90 degree angle on my string and I also have a rubber band attached to the peep/string that should be turning the peep, but it is not.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Could be several things causing this JuliW but probably be easiest to solve and fix by taking to a bow shop. If it's a string twist issue they will have to put it under a press. Also this could mean the bow is out of tune which can usually be easily remedied. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    So, my peep sight does not line up correctly when I am at full draw... looks like an oval rather than a circle. I know this is because the string is not twisting around fully when I come to full draw.

Is this something I can fix or just take it to the bow shop?

The D loop is at a 90 degree angle on my string and I also have a rubber band attached to the peep/string that should be turning the peep, but it is not.
    JuliW, is it possible that, as you draw, the D-loop, in its 90 degree position, is turning the peep to the extent that the tension on the rubber band is insufficient to rotate it square when at full draw? If so, you might be able to twist the loop relative to the string such that it brings the peep into better alignment.

Otherwise, you're probably dealing with some string creep (gradual lengthening of the string/buss cables), which means you probably also have some cam timing/sync issues to get tuned up. This would require the use of a bow press, as adding twists to string/cables in order to bring things back into proper timing and alignment requires slack.

If the threads have significant creep (requiring lots of twists to true things up), you might consider getting new threads. If you choose that route, you can always go with stock threads, but I prefer using aftermarket strings, as there are many exceptional string makers whose products typically far exceed the factory strings in quality and durability. The one I've used recently is Proline. They make good stuff: http://www.prolinebowstrings.com/.

Thanks so much for the info guys. I had the bow tuned last year, but I shoot a lot (at least in the summer) and the string has never been replaced since I bought it a couple years ago. (I do take good care of it).. The last time I had it in the shop was for the arrow rest, and the bow tech noticed some things that indicated a new string might be in order before too long.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!