Thread: Widow makers

Default Widow makers

You'd think it would go without saying, but some jackwagon left a widowmaker hanging over the trail
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is that an angeled backcut I see there? If so the person who cut this didn't know what they were doing anyway.
    I don't see the trail in this picture but If it overhangs one that is a crappy thing to do.
    Hopefully you were able to safely remove the offending tree.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The trail is just outside the frame to the left of the spruce limbs on the ground. I was unable to get it down with my axe. I tried and was able to get a small tree down that it's hung on, but it got bound up in a considerably larger tree that I couldn't cut down with my Estwing.

As for the cut, who knows what was going through this idiots head.

If you couldn't get it down, I'm sure it isn't going to make any widows any time soon. Probably not coming down until the next hurricane force wind.
    The woods are full of al kinds of potential danger that most of us are completely unaware of. However, the offending party should have sawed under the fallen tree and kept cutting until he had it down. Clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but Alaska has always had greenhorns to watch out for.

What I find even worse is the bozos that hang a cable or chain across a trail. I personally know several people who have been killed by those. I take reflective tape with me when I ride, and often do what I can to mark dangerous stuff.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.