Thread: 30-338/ 308. Norma Mag.

Default 30-338/ 308. Norma Mag.

I have an older Winchester Model 70 that was originally chambered for 30-06. Sprg. at some point my grandfather had the chamber and bolt face bored out to accept 338. Win Mag casings necked down to hold 308. cal bullets. As I understand this is/ has the same ballistics as the 308. Norma Mag. My grandfather handloaded cartridges for it and as my dad tells it was always very careful to not load the rounds very hot. I inherited the rifle when my granddad passed away a few years ago the reloading notes that he had for it do not seem like they are entirely complete and I am looking at trying to work up some loads for it using different bullets than the ones that the notes are for. My question is, what kind-of safety concerns should I have if I am looking at reloading for this rifle that the reloading manuals do not take into account for their load data?

Default 308 Norma

Get an older Speer reloading manual and it will have loads for the 308 Norma. I make cases from 338 Win Mag brass and use 4831. It is a fine round and you should enjoy it. Best wishes. J.

I have a similar rifle, a pre 64 M70 30-06 that was re-chambered to 308NM. I'd have a gunsmith check it out to determine if it is indeed a 30-338 or a 308NM and then have them stamp the correct cartridge on the barrel so there is no confusion. They can also do a safety check on the rifle for you, if you're so inclined. For the 308 NM, current reloading manuals still have accurate data. Start low and work your way up! My 308 NM likes 72gr H4831 w/ 180 NP. Good luck, it's a great rifle for Alaska IMO.

The 30 338 is just a bit shorter at the shoulder than the 308N but the ballistics are close enough that it makes little difference. Start with starting loads for the 308N and work your way up. The older M70s came in 300H&H and will handle normal pressures for either the 30 338 or the 308N

alright, thank you guys I appreciate the help.

To revive an old thread
    I also have a similar rifle. Mines on a Remington 721. stamped .30smith. ive been using 308 Norma load data with some pretty good results.

Default .30-338 dies

I have a set of RCBS .30-.338 dies in my collection if anyone needs them. No idea what they are worth
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

tvfinak I would like to check your dies out. Just to see how they compare to the .30smith

The 30 Smith sounds interesting..
    CASE LENGTH = 2.500 inch
    HEAD DIAMETER = .513 inch
    RIM DIAMETER = .532 inch
    NECK DIAMETER = .339 inch
    NECK LENGTH = .405 inch
    SHOULDER LENGTH = .155 inch
    BODY ANGLE = .378 degrees per side
    CASE CAPACITY = 5.31 cubic centimeter
    CASE CAPACITY = 81.94 grains of water
    LOADED LENGTH = 3.35 inch
    BELT DIAMETER = .532 inch
    RIM THICKNESS = .05 inch
    SHOULDER DIAMETER = .490 inch
    LENGTH TO SHOULDER = 1.94 inch
    SHOULDER ANGLE = 25.97 degrees per side
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

.30-338 uses the same shoulder as 338. .30 smith is more like AI shoulder........ Sorry for the upside down pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images