Thread: Cassiar

Default Cassiar

Will be driving back from Washinton early April and was wondering how the cassiar hwy would be. Enough places open to get diesel fuel?

I have drive the cassiar a couple times, but only in summer. Last time I came through I went the long way since it was winter. I personally wouldn't do the cassiar in the winter.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

The Cassiar is always my preferred route. I've only driven it in summer once, the remainder always in winter. One potential challenge in doing it during breakup time of year is that you can run into sudden dramatic warming events which turn the 8+ inches of winter hardpack to soft snow/slush, and chewing through 100+ miles of that (if you're able, even with chains on) can eat up a lot of fuel that you may not have planned for...

Fuel is available at either end of the Cassiar, and in the middle at Dease Lake. Dease Lake pumps are not open at night tho, so if you're going to hit Dease Lake late, plan to spend the night.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

http://www.milepost.com/highway_info/cassiar_highway

Have only done it in the fall and winter. I always carry 2 extra 5 gallon cans of fuel.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The Cassiar is always my preferred route. I've only driven it in summer once, the remainder always in winter. One potential challenge in doing it during breakup time of year is that you can run into sudden dramatic warming events which turn the 8+ inches of winter hardpack to soft snow/slush, and chewing through 100+ miles of that (if you're able, even with chains on) can eat up a lot of fuel that you may not have planned for...

Fuel is available at either end of the Cassiar, and in the middle at Dease Lake. Dease Lake pumps are not open at night tho, so if you're going to hit Dease Lake late, plan to spend the night.
    Years ago I thought they closed the Cassiar during the winter. I take it they've been keeping it open all year these days? Never drove it but always wanted to. Heard it was more scenic than the Alcan.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Years ago I thought they closed the Cassiar during the winter.
    Not that I'm aware of, but my experience only goes back 20 years.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Buddy of mine is down running up and down the Cassiar right now playing in the snow on snowmachines since we don't have any up here. They are having a ball. I haven't heard him complaining about not being able to get fuel. Like was said above though. I wouldn't expect to find 24 hr stations!

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    Will be driving back from Washinton early April and was wondering how the cassiar hwy would be. Enough places open to get diesel fuel?
    I've done the Cassiar several times in April. Mostly after the 15th tho. Fuel should not be a problem. Just keep in mind what time of day you are passing thru. Pick up a Milepost. They are great to read and see what to expect ahead.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Last drove the Cassiar in 1986 going down to college in Arizona in the fall. I remember portions which were gravel and gas stations being few and far between. This route was very scenic and somewhat shorter than the Alcan. We carried extra jerry jugs for the remote sections and had no problems. I imagine the road is much improved today. Definitely get a copy of the Milepost to plan your route for fuel and services.

Here's some info about the Cassier - I'm thinking about taking this route in June
    http://www.stewartcassiarhighway.com...e-2014-web.pdf

A couple of Cassier notes from my travel.....the scenery is fabulous. Be prepared with some extra fuel for that just in case moment. My last trip was July 2013 and we only found less then 10 miles of road that had been dirt. A side trip to Stewart/Hyder was fun. Be prepared to spend the night along the road as we found a campground closed, and we had made a reservation. The road is a whole lot less travelled then the ALCAN as such the roadside services are alot less.

Now the important things......if it has recently snowed or they are calling for snow do not go the Cassier if your trip needs to be done under a timeline. The same can be said for summer travel. If they have called for rain or it has been raining for a couple of days I do not recommend travel on the Cassier.

I have made trips both the ALCAN and Cassier that had put us behind an avalanche or a washed out section of road. A little patience or having to back track will make your trip the best trip ever. Made one ALCAN trip where it took us 10 days from Tok to Montana because of rain. Unfortunately there was no way to get around any of it.

Just a quick note that I rode to Alaska this year on a motorcycle and the Cassiar was one of the best roads on the entire trip. Lots to look at, tons of wildlife, and you really felt isolated...because you are. Make sure you have plenty of gas. Take some emergency supplies in case of breakdown, but definitely enjoy the ride/drive!