Thread: Striker Classic vs. Bear Montana

Default Striker Classic vs. Bear Montana

Good day. I know this forum has talked about both of these longbows before, but not in comparison to one another (at least not from what I've seen in the search function). Basically I'm looking for a longbow that will last. I know the Montana has a high reliability and consistency, but there's something to be said about handmade bows like the Striker. I would like to know if any of you guys would prefer one over the other, and why.

I know the Striker Classic is not common, so here's the URL: http://www.strikerbows.com/classic
    Full Curl Archery in South Anchorage sells them.

Your advice is much appreciated, and thank you for your time.

I've been shooting my Howard Hill laminated bamboo 70-pounder for 55-years and it's still as good as new. You might want to have a look at Howard Hill Archery Company in Montana . . . . .

Thank you sir, I'll take a look.

I think that Screaming Eagle in Wasilla has some Toelke bows that you should look at also. I really like the Toelke bows. http://montanabows.blogspot.com/

I got a takedown longbow made by full draw bows out of Idaho and really love it. Fulldrawbows.com
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Thank all of you for your advice in looking at different bows. Even though it's hard to compare a machine made like the Bear Montana to the handmade longbows, it seems the traditional hand made bows is the way to go.

I spent $330 on my Bear Montana 3 years ago to test the waters of trad archery. It still shoots great and looks, like a $330 bow. It's mostly black, not much to it, and if I didn't love my Hoyt so much, I'd spend the money I need to on good arrows and try to kill something other than grouse with it. I have no doubts that the bow is capable of more than I can do with it. However, if you're looking at a handmade bow in another price range, I think you'll get a better product. Good luck with your search. My next trad bow will come from South Cox at stalkerstickbows.com.

Quote Originally Posted by stvnshnn View Post
    I spent $330 on my Bear Montana 3 years ago to test the waters of trad archery. It still shoots great and looks, like a $330 bow. It's mostly black, not much to it, and if I didn't love my Hoyt so much, I'd spend the money I need to on good arrows and try to kill something other than grouse with it. I have no doubts that the bow is capable of more than I can do with it. However, if you're looking at a handmade bow in another price range, I think you'll get a better product. Good luck with your search. My next trad bow will come from South Cox at stalkerstickbows.com.
    Many trad bow shooters choose to make their own wood arrows. I've always used 11/32" Port Orford tapered shafts for my longbows, and have for many years burned "balloon" feathers, usually white so I can follow their flight. I've never been disappointed. Always make my own strings as well.

I love my Montana. I grew up shooting a Bear and I still enjoy Bear bows now. I just got a #55 Super Grizzly and I've shot it so much in the past three days, my fingers are bruised and numb. I should take a break for a few days, but it shots to good to stop. As for handmade VS. machined. Handmade bows are going to be a prettier bow with more detail and you can get a more costume palm fit, but its going to coast you. The Montana may not look as good, but it shoots good and will last a long time and the money you'll save can be used on arrows & point. Oh yeah, and it's a Bear. LoL What ever you choose will be the rite choice.