Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban on M855 ammo???

Default Ban on M855 ammo???

Was reading a brief article on an executive ban on M855 as it is considered armor piercing.

Is there any truth to this???

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

YEP!!!!!! Read the info from BAFT and it does sound like it will go through. Now, not only is there a hoarding of 22 LR ammo, but now we can add some 5.56(M885) ammo. It will be interesting to see where this all ends! Just another 'end game' around the 2A?

Here is the link, I hope it works, to what I read.

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fil...g_purposes.pdf

Will be be interesting to see the degree to which it causes the retail value of M193 to escalate.........

Should be banned. Not for its steel core but for the inability to keep the darn stuff on target.

I NEVER have that problem, I use HUGE targets. Well, that and I shoot from about 20 feet from the target.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Should be banned. Not for its steel core but for the inability to keep the darn stuff on target.

Another incremental excuse to tighten the noose.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Was reading a brief article on an executive ban on M855 as it is considered armor piercing.

Is there any truth to this???
    Thanks for the heads up!

While I don't particularly care for the stuff, this is clearly intended to reduce the availability of .223 ammo to the public, very telling.

If this 'passes', it just opens the door for more regs and another way to get around the 2A! This could not turn out well for our sport!

Get the tools and materials to start making your own... everything. What part of "shall not be infringed" are they not getting? No other reason than to put the screws to the 2ndA. Some last desperate gasps and convulsions from this failed, lying administration before the next failed, lying one takes it's place.
    Makes me sick... And don't you "it doesn't affect me cuz I don't hunt/shoot/believe in owning an AR" etc. crowd come whining when they do ban something that affects you. This affects all gun owners.

Unseasonably pissed,
    Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Get the tools and materials to start making your own... everything. What part of "shall not be infringed" are they not getting? No other reason than to put the screws to the 2ndA. Some last desperate gasps and convulsions from this failed, lying administration before the next failed, lying one takes it's place.
    Makes me sick... And don't you "it doesn't affect me cuz I don't hunt/shoot/believe in owning an AR" etc. crowd come whining when they do ban something that affects you. This affects all gun owners.

Unseasonably pissed,
    Mountaintrekker
    Checked my source for the bullets, sold out already... Haven't looked to hard anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Checked my source for the bullets, sold out already... Haven't looked to hard anywhere else.

I picked up the last 3 cans at SW today. Thanks for the heads up!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Some last desperate gasps and convulsions from this failed, lying administration before the next failed, lying one takes it's place.
    Not quite. This law was last amended in 2006; the portion of it that provides the definition of "armor piercing" was last amended in 1994. If you don't like it, talk to your congressional representative. Any changes will have to be made by the congress. Current administration has nothing to do with it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Not quite. This law was last amended in 2006; the portion of it that provides the definition of "armor piercing" was last amended in 1994. If you don't like it, talk to your congressional representative. Any changes will have to be made by the congress. Current administration has nothing to do with it.
    Bull. M855 does not meet the law's definition of armor piercing. It requires a solid steel core or a jacket that comprises more that 25% of the bullet weight. M855 is neither. This is atf re-interpreting, or better intentionally misinterpreting, the law to infringe on ammo availability. M855 is one of the most commonly available rounds for the AR especially in the surplus market. This has everything to do with the current admin. This is nothing less than a specific direction of the current admin to ignore the law and rule by fiat.

It also isn't likely to withstand a lawsuit, which is highly likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Bull. M855 does not meet the law's definition of armor piercing. It requires a solid steel core or a jacket that comprises more that 25% of the bullet weight.
    Again, not quite. Here's the verbiage, clipped from the actual code (18 USC 921):
    (B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—

(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
    (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
    There's plenty of room in there to define many bullets, including M855 as "armor piercing". But in order to ban the projectile, a second critical ingredient must come to bear; there must be a "handgun" chambered for the projectile in question, and that's where this most recent pinch comes to play. The definition of "handgun" hasn't changed recently either. What has changed is that manufacturers are now producing firearms chambered for M855 which meet the definition of "handgun", so as a result M855 loses it's exemption from the ban. Y'all can waste your breath ranting about the current administration as long as you like, but if you're not working with your congressional rep to change this code, your accomplishing nothing. Congress passed this law; congress invented these definitions and conditions.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

IF a Sig "Stabilizing Brace" is legal so long as you do not put it up to your shoulder, Then why not say it is legal to own/sell/possess/manufacture/distribute M855 ammo so long as you do not use it in a Pistol........????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    IF a Sig "Stabilizing Brace" is legal so long as you do not put it up to your shoulder, Then why not say it is legal to own/sell/possess/manufacture/distribute M855 ammo so long as you do not use it in a Pistol........????
    Because the point is to get cheap surplus ammo out of the hands of citizens.

IF a Sig "Stabilizing Brace" is legal so long as you do not put it up to your shoulder, Then why not say it is legal to own/sell/possess/manufacture/distribute M855 ammo so long as you do not use it in an elementary school........????
    Fixed it for ya.
    #Resist

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast