Thread: Long lake ice fishing

Default Long lake ice fishing

Anyone have experience fishing long lake off of the Glenn? Paddled around with my kayak some this summer, but didn't fish much. Just looking for thoughts.

Used to fish through the ice for Burbot in that lake. Right after Ice out in the spring, there is a shallow spot where we could catch Dollies, Rainbows and Grayling. I'm reasonably sure there are a few Lakers in that lake too.

F & G puts a lot of there old breeding stock in there every fall 20 + inches, have been doing it for a few years now as well as Grayling , Rainbow , an Land lock Salmon check the stocking plan they have, it is on there web site, the lakers are home grown in the lake SID

Here is the link to the lakes detailed info: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ail&LakeID=429

No landlocked salmon in there. I've never personally caught any grayling in there but they are listed as being present in the lake. It doesn't list burbot as a species present, but there are some in there. I've personally caught them and I once caught Lake Trout with a burbot tail sticking out of its mouth.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Fun to fish for camel toes - all the bubort I have caught or seen are small and skinny.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    F & G puts a lot of there old breeding stock in there every fall 20 + inches, have been doing it for a few years now as well as Grayling , Rainbow , an Land lock Salmon check the stocking plan they have, it is on there web site, the lakers are home grown in the lake SID
    There are plenty of LAndlocks in there. At least there was, and bring your spear, there are sucker fish to be had there. If you see one swim by your hole, do not move anything. Don't even blink. After a couple minutes, a school will follow the scout. Get one and cut a slab off it, now you have one of the best laker and burbot baits in the lake......

Release Lake Trout

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Will hopefully have some good success pictures in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    There are plenty of LAndlocks in there. At least there was, and bring your spear, there are sucker fish to be had there. If you see one swim by your hole, do not move anything. Don't even blink. After a couple minutes, a school will follow the scout. Get one and cut a slab off it, now you have one of the best laker and burbot baits in the lake......
    Never caught a landlock there, Char more than anything, but no landlocks and I have put plenty of time in there.