Thread: Advice: priming bearcats every year

Default Advice: priming bearcats every year

I have two 99' 440 bearcats. Love the old things. They run great, but every year when I go to start them there is no fuel in the lines. Each one has a primer, but they don't seem to work when the lines are dry. Either the primers are no good, or they are not effective when the lines are dry. I end up pulling each one like 400 times before I finally get them to start.
    Does anyone have a good solution for me so I don't wear my poor arm out?
    Thanks if you can.
    Wil
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

My old Skandic is the same way. The fuel lines are clear and that helps. I pump the primer until I can see the fuel hit the carb.

The pump seals dry out and bypass a lot until the fuel hits the seal. Then you can feel the difference and it pumps normally.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

You can try a couple things here. Pressure up the fuel tank. I've done it using a rag to seal around an air nozzle and just put in enough air to provide positive pressure. Watch the fuel lines while you do this. You can also use lung pressure, but might take a couple tries. Another thing you can do is pull the spark plugs and dump some fuel right into the cylinders. Be sure it is mixed fuel. You may have to start your machine a couple of times this way to get the lines to fill with fuel. Do NOT use starting fluid. Good way to ruin a snow machine engine.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Had the same problem with a little 94 Skidoo 380, the primer pump was no good from day 1, finally bought a new priming pump for about $15 and problem solved.. I have a 98 440 BC and this year was the first time the primer pump didn't want to work right for me.. I used Smoke Ross' suggestion, pulled the plugs, gave each cyl an ounce or two of mixed gas, reinstalled the plugs and wires, and first pull it started.. I carry a little ISO heat bottle full of mixed gas, just in case there is a problem while we are out at the cabin or somewhere..

Spray oil around shaft. you just have to get the seals wet again.. go out and start it up a couple times in the summer and especially in the fall just before the season. I have done the tank press trick to. take off the inlet line and squirt gas into the line and the primer.
    Tim

That is very common on most any 2 stroke with carbs. Easiest way I've found is to put some gas in a spray bottle. Give a few sprays into the intake of the airbox. It will pop off 1st or 2nd pull. Be ready to give it another squirt as it starts to die. It will want to die a hand full of times til the pump has filled the carbs. Like was stated above, starting fluids works great too but is very tough on a 2 stroke. Especially when it's been sitting dry. Use fuel instead in an old windex ect bottle. Works like a champ.

Or just start it and let the machine warm up every month or so during the summer.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    That is very common on most any 2 stroke with carbs. Easiest way I've found is to put some gas in a spray bottle. Give a few sprays into the intake of the airbox. It will pop off 1st or 2nd pull. Be ready to give it another squirt as it starts to die. It will want to die a hand full of times til the pump has filled the carbs. Like was stated above, starting fluids works great too but is very tough on a 2 stroke. Especially when it's been sitting dry. Use fuel instead in an old windex ect bottle. Works like a champ.
    I have used the spray bottle, works great but I don't know how to access the airbox. I've been peeling off the rubber grommets and spraying into that but it's starting to crack them. Can someone tell me how to access the airbox?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Get a high school kid to yard on the yo-yo until it starts the first time.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Old thread, but best way to prime the old BCs is to either blow in the fuel tank vent hose or blow into the tank itself.
    While you are blowing, pump the primer. That slight positive pressure is enough to get the fuel into the pump.
    Works quick.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Spray oil around shaft. you just have to get the seals wet again.. go out and start it up a couple times in the summer and especially in the fall just before the season. .
    The seals dry in the primer. This usually works. +1

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Find the vent tube under the hood and blow on it as hard as you can for a second or 2 then plug with your finger. Let sit for a min and repeat 2 or 3 times. It will force fuel into the pump and carbs. Should start fairly quick after that.