Thread: Calling all Montana Rifle Co owners

Default Calling all Montana Rifle Co owners

Now that MRC has a stainless/composite offering for us lefties, I'm just about ready to "pull the trigger" on one. Was hoping to hear from those forum members who own one ~ the good, the bad and the ugly about the gun.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Never, ever, ever, have I heard anything negative since the company was formed on their products.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

A person at Mountainview Sports I respect has spoken to me about them several times. He has nothing negative to say and compares them to a Mod 70 with a slight more weight in the action. He has shot a number of them and recommends them highly. The prices for the 'off the shelf' models are comparable as well. The ones I have looked are appear to dang fine rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    A person at Mountainview Sports I respect has spoken to me about them several times. He has nothing negative to say and compares them to a Mod 70 with a slight more weight in the action. He has shot a number of them and recommends them highly. The prices for the 'off the shelf' models are comparable as well. The ones I have looked are appear to dang fine rifles.
    The factory guy said Chad at mountianview knows more about them than just about anyone. The real question for me is caliber choice at this point.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    The factory guy said Chad at mountianview knows more about them than just about anyone. The real question for me is caliber choice at this point.
    He is a great person to deal with too. Good luck on picking a caliber and please keep us updated if/when you decide!

I have looked at a couple Montana Rifles. They look to be well made.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default I have a MRC in 6.5-284.

Mine is very accurate, but wont feed worth a darn off the magazine. I've sent it back to MRC twice and I've had it to my gunsmith once. My 'smith made the most improvement, but it still wants to jam when pulling the next round off the top of mag. Mine also doesn't like max loads. If I push my hand loads to the published max I start piercing primers. It's fun to mess with off the bench, but in 10+ years I've owned it I haven't taken it out hunting yet. I keep hunting with my Browning's, they feed every time without fail.
    Woody

I had one of their first actions. I got in on the charter purchase when they were first getting started. I bought a left handed short action and a left handed long action magnum which I had them barrel to 375 H&H. Never had any trouble with the rifle. It fed reliably right out of the box and was very accurate. I sold it last year because I was not using it and used the proceeds to fund a couple of other projects. Good rifles in my opinion.