Thread: Lake Trout and Burbot - Denali Highway

Default Lake Trout and Burbot - Denali Highway

Hello all! Been ice fishing on and off for all my life up here. On and off meaning, I do it every 2 or 3 years... but now I'm getting into it a lot. Was fishing a nice lake the other day and I had two holes and two shacks, sitting about 75 feet apart. Same depth. About 18" of ice and 6 feet of water below. In one of the houses, I rarely seen a fish swim by. In the other house, it was swarming with some of the biggest lake trout I have ever seen. I could not see the entire fish in the hole, and there was no less than 6 of them swarming my bait. They would take it for short distance, and the 3 that I hooked immediately broke my line without even missing a beat.

So for you ice fishing experts, why would only 75 feet make any difference in a lake?

Also, I'm really trying to figure out the rules. There are a lot of burbot in this lake also, but looking at the regs, I can't use set lines for burbot in the Upper Susitna river drainages. But for Lake trout, nothing is spelled out like that. So can I put out two set lines per person for Lake Trout? If I catch a burbot, I let it go obviously? I for some reason can't find a definition for set line, but I assume it's if you leave overnight?

In reading further, the regs have the upper Copper and upper Susitna mashed together. In the upper Copper, it says only unbaited, single hooks, artificial lures may be used, but it does not mention the Upper Susitna in this. So I assume we can use those here.

On the next confusion, the rules state that "Ice Houses" must be removed at the end of the days fishing must have a permit. What if I have an igloo? Does ice house mean any cover over the ice? If I'm fishing the 'house' overnight, sitting in there, so I need a permit, since I haven't removed it at the end of the day?

I appreciate any input, and of course, I will follow up with Fish and Game, but figured some of my questions were probably pretty simple and you guys would know the answer right off.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Hi Claude,

Was there any structure (drop offs, horseshoes, points, shoals, inlets, outlets, inside turns etc.) located by the hole with all the lake trout? If so, that might have made the difference. Structure will hold forage fish for the lake trout to eat. Plus lakers are predators that seek out ambush locations where they can trap their prey. I'm definitely not an expert, but that is just my opinion from what I know.

I am pretty certain you CAN NOT use set lines for lake trout anywhere in the state, but don't take my word for it. Like you said, you should double check with fish and feathers. As far as I know, you CAN use set lines in the Big Su for burbot. I have caught burbot using set lines in the Big Su but much farther South than your location. As far as I know, you CAN NOT use set lines in any LAKE in the upper Copper River Basin area. But again, you should verify this with fish and feathers. Tip-ups would be allowed but they have to be "closely attended". Interpretations of the "closely attended" rule are widely varied and I think the rule is very vague, but again this is just my opinion.

As for your ice house, I would think the permit to have a house on the ice would only apply to buildings or structures that were actually built or framed. I would not think that this rule would apply to an igloo or any other house built entirely out of natural materials. I would think that you are completely fine to build an igloo anywhere you want without a permit. But again this is just my opinion and interpretation of the law. Take it for what it's worth.

On another note, does your lodge have any rooms available on the 21st? If so, you will probably be hearing from me very soon. My wife and I are thinking about taking a drive out there on our snowmachine.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Hello all! Been ice fishing on and off for all my life up here. On and off meaning, I do it every 2 or 3 years... but now I'm getting into it a lot. Was fishing a nice lake the other day and I had two holes and two shacks, sitting about 75 feet apart. Same depth. About 18" of ice and 6 feet of water below. In one of the houses, I rarely seen a fish swim by. In the other house, it was swarming with some of the biggest lake trout I have ever seen. I could not see the entire fish in the hole, and there was no less than 6 of them swarming my bait. They would take it for short distance, and the 3 that I hooked immediately broke my line without even missing a beat.

So for you ice fishing experts, why would only 75 feet make any difference in a lake?

Also, I'm really trying to figure out the rules. There are a lot of burbot in this lake also, but looking at the regs, I can't use set lines for burbot in the Upper Susitna river drainages. But for Lake trout, nothing is spelled out like that. So can I put out two set lines per person for Lake Trout? If I catch a burbot, I let it go obviously? I for some reason can't find a definition for set line, but I assume it's if you leave overnight?

In reading further, the regs have the upper Copper and upper Susitna mashed together. In the upper Copper, it says only unbaited, single hooks, artificial lures may be used, but it does not mention the Upper Susitna in this. So I assume we can use those here.

On the next confusion, the rules state that "Ice Houses" must be removed at the end of the days fishing must have a permit. What if I have an igloo? Does ice house mean any cover over the ice? If I'm fishing the 'house' overnight, sitting in there, so I need a permit, since I haven't removed it at the end of the day?

I appreciate any input, and of course, I will follow up with Fish and Game, but figured some of my questions were probably pretty simple and you guys would know the answer right off.

Claude
    Sounds like fun Claude. And sounds like you found the sweet spot. I wouldn't be surprised that there might be a bit of a spring where you saw the swarm.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Sounds like fun Claude. And sounds like you found the sweet spot. I wouldn't be surprised that there might be a bit of a spring where you saw the swarm.
    Thats exactly what what I was thinking. A ran into a similar situation, except with rainbows, a number of years ago. We could see the spring coming up through sand on the lake floor. Big rainbows around the spring, but get 30 feet away and not a fish to be seen.

First of all you need to re-spool some new fishing line to avoid breaking your stuff. I recomend forlake trout a braided type for your main string and a 2foot section of fluoro or mono leader connected with a heavy duty barrel swivel. Dont over look checking the drag on your reel.

I am not an ice fishing expert but this is something you might want to watch / although it may not explain the specifics about every situation you encounter - it does help explain how just one suttle change in whats under you in a certain location can be the difference (even in a shallow depth): http://youtu.be/ct1WHMPtF0Y

I bet it has something to do with their food source location. Or maybe just you got lucky - have yougone back to the spot and found them "swarming" again? If you have- then gorereadthis firstpartiput on here and catch one - lol

I am not an expert on sport fishing regulations. I would call ADF&G if something needs clarification.

I do not believe the regulation is clearly defined as to what an "Ice House" is to begin with. Webster's defines it as a place to store ice.

With all the modern advancments in portable shelters for ice fishing and people that may spend a marathon 24 hour period ice fishing in a "ice house" and then remove in from the lake. there is much ambiguity.

The spirit of the law (although not actually the law) or intent/purpose is to identify who has fixed structures on the lake over night, so that when the date arrives to remove such structures, individuals can be identified by their permit number on the side of there "ice house"

I called ADF&G and they are researching it further. I was told more than a few people leave there structures up and let them sink, hence the need to permit - lots of plywood in the lakes and they want to prevent people from abandoning there "ice house' and letting their structures sink. I dont think you have any issue with an ice igloo - lol

Set lines can only be used burbot fishing. You can not set line for any other species, incidental catches of another type of fish can not be retained.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

remember there is a difference between set line and a tip up
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Claude
    Set lines are only mentioned under sport fishing gear for burbot; Page 7

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

Set lines are prohobited in waters of Upper Copper/ Upper Sususitna drainages, except those waters of the Copper River drainage on page 30

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...aDrainages.pdf

So, my interpretation would be since set lines are prohibited in Upper Susitna River drainages, you may not use them for other species as well in this area. How is a state trooper supposed to know that you are targeting lake trout and not burbot in this area?

Under Methods and Means unbaited, single-hook, artificial lures may be used in flowing waters of the Upper Coppper River, Page 29

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...aDrainages.pdf

You are correct that it does not mention Methods and Means for Upper Susitna, so you need to look up the area you are specifically fishing in the regulations to see if bait is legal. Since you never mentioned specifically where you are fishing on the Upper Susitna Drainage, I'm not sure what the regulations are for your specific spot.

I believe the registration for ice houses was enacted due to people leaving ice houses on the lake in late spring and when the lakes would thaw the ice houses and all the accompanied garbage would fall into the lake. They have people register "permanent" ice houses to hold people accountable for situations like this. So, with that in mind I'm not sure where an igloo would sit in this regulation.

As mentioned, call ADF&G in Glennallen and let us know what you find.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    First of all you need to re-spool some new fishing line to avoid breaking your stuff. I recomend forlake trout a braided type for your main string and a 2foot section of fluoro or mono leader connected with a heavy duty barrel swivel. Dont over look checking the drag on your reel.

I am not an ice fishing expert but this is something you might want to watch / although it may not explain the specifics about every situation you encounter - it does help explain how just one suttle change in whats under you in a certain location can be the difference (even in a shallow depth): http://youtu.be/ct1WHMPtF0Y

I bet it has something to do with their food source location. Or maybe just you got lucky - have yougone back to the spot and found them "swarming" again? If you have- then gorereadthis firstpartiput on here and catch one - lol

I am not an expert on sport fishing regulations. I would call ADF&G if something needs clarification.

I do not believe the regulation is clearly defined as to what an "Ice House" is to begin with. Webster's defines it as a place to store ice.

With all the modern advancments in portable shelters for ice fishing and people that may spend a marathon 24 hour period ice fishing in a "ice house" and then remove in from the lake. there is much ambiguity.

The spirit of the law (although not actually the law) or intent/purpose is to identify who has fixed structures on the lake over night, so that when the date arrives to remove such structures, individuals can be identified by their permit number on the side of there "ice house"

I called ADF&G and they are researching it further. I was told more than a few people leave there structures up and let them sink, hence the need to permit - lots of plywood in the lakes and they want to prevent people from abandoning there "ice house' and letting their structures sink. I dont think you have any issue with an ice igloo - lol

Set lines can only be used burbot fishing. You can not set line for any other species, incidental catches of another type of fish can not be retained.
    Dennis, you are being way too humble man. If you aren't the local expert on Lake Trout, then I don't know who is. You catch some dandies very regularly. I would love to go ice fishing with you sometime bro.

Did you ever try out the slammer set up I left for you Claude? Been working great for us on 20+ inch rainbows

Thanks for the info and replies! I'm hoping to head down there tomorrow and continue my 'research'! That what I tell the wife is, anyhow! Yes, I've seen some of Jedi's stuff! He is the master, from what I've heard and read. Might have to offer him a free night or two in trade of some of his secrets!
    I have the slammer set up in my box ready for the next trip! I'll let you know how it works!

Great thought on a spring at the bottom! I hadn't considered that. There is definitely something different about the two spots and that could be it. I might drill some holes 10 feet around in different directions to see what I see. It's not very deep water and it's easy to see the mud on the bottom.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Dont fall for it. Hes no expert at all. If gutleap hadnt shown him how to fish harding would still be skunked there.

Thanks for the info and replies! I'm hoping to head down there tomorrow and continue my 'research'! That what I tell the wife is, anyhow! Yes, I've seen some of Jedi's stuff! He is the master, from what I've heard and read. Might have to offer him a free night or two in trade of some of his secrets!
    I have the slammer set up in my box ready for the next trip! I'll let you know how it works!

Great thought on a spring at the bottom! I hadn't considered that. There is definitely something different about the two spots and that could be it. I might drill some holes 10 feet around in different directions to see what I see. It's not very deep water and it's easy to see the mud on the bottom.

Claude
    PM sent your way.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

one word of caution on braid and barrel swivels, bring a hooked pole along long enough to reach the bottom of the hole or a few feet longer. Especially in shallow water large fish situations, but even in deep water that braided line (I run power pro) will saw like a hot knife through the bottom edge of your holes. Cut in deep enough that barrel swivel will stick, bang fish gone! I use the pole for my hook with a plastic hook to unstick it. You'll know its happening when you feel a 'pop', or you flat out see the line going the opposite direction under the ice that is going down the hole. It wont break all the time....but I can guarantee you it wont be a little fish that pops it when it finally does happen!