Thread: 6.00x6 on 182 nose

Default 6.00x6 on 182 nose

I have a question that will show my inexperience. The only way to get a 6x6 nose wheel on a 182 is to put a bigger nose fork on, correct? 206 or a Cessna twin nose fork that can be made to work? I figure a lot of you guys have done it or seen it a ton, so I'm in the right place to ask. I've seen it but never done it. Thanks!

I don't know the answer to your question, since most of my experience is with tripacers. But that is the stock nose tire on a tripacer...which I suspect means you are going to want a larger tire than that on your 182 nose if feasible...assuming you are thinking of larger tires for purposes of landing softer and rougher stuff...
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Check the parts manual for your year of C-182. Optional heavy duty nose fork Cessna part # 1243623-2 ( I think)

In some cases the heavy duty fork is an optional item for certain serial numbers. The heavy duty strut is large enough to take a 700x6 tire.
    In the parts manuals it shows a 600x6 tire as standard with the optional heavy duty strut.

If it is not listed for your year, you just need to get a field approval.. I recently did two and it was not very hard.

Another option is the Landis Large Fork via STC. That will let you install a 850 on the nose. But it is not an cheap option.

Troy: I am back home now and can get that paperwork for you./
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Heh, even though I typed it twice, I meant 8x6. Sorry about that. Yes, 6x6 can go straight on the original fork on this one (1971). Thanks for the response!

Float Pilot, are you running 850s on the mains with the 6x6 nose?

700 and two 800s. They were what I happened to have on hand at the time.

If you want to go up to an 800x6 tire you will need the Landis large fork via STC. Then you could go 850s all the way around.

Thanks! I think a 700 would be fine. I didn't realize the heavy duty strut could take those.

Here is my Cessna Heavy-Duty fork with a 700 x 6 tire installed.

The original small forks on the 172s and 182s would hold a 500 size tire and the tire speed fairing ( wheel pants ).
    They envisioned the Heavy Duty fork with 600 size tires but a 700 will work. I have a Field Approval for the 700 tire in the fork and 800s on the mains. While not as much floatation as the 850s, mine weigh less and let me go a wee bite faster.
    Attached Images Attached Images