Thread: Quality gunsmithing tools?

Default Quality gunsmithing tools?

Sorry if I missed this in my forum searches ...But what I'm looking for is a set of quality screwdrivers (+hex, +torx) for working on my own guns. You know, nice crisp sharp edges on the screwdrivers that stay that way with use, that sort of thing. Searching around on Midway USA (haven't tried Brownell's yet), I see sets with big names on them such as Smith and Wesson or Pachmayr etc ...but the prices are low, like between $12 and $20 for a set of driver bits w/handle. Seems cheap ...unreliably cheap. I would expect a quality set, say with something like 30 bits and a couple of extended ones for grips work etc, to cost closer to $100 plus or possibly more? Am I looking in the wrong place for tools? I also need 'polishing blocks' (whatever they're called) for doing trigger work etc. I've already got a Dremel for finer finish polishing... Anyone want to point me in the right direction for screwdriver+ sets?

Thanks,
    Brian

I have used the brownells sets for fourty years I guess. I would suggest adding the thin bit set to the standard and add a short driver to get your hands closer to the work when needed. With the brownells if I break a few bits I send them in and get free new ones returned. You want bits that will break before the screw buggers up.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Just pony up and buy the Brownells master set. Money well spent.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

2 votes for Brownells ...sounds like a quorum to me! Will take a look right away... Thanks, all.

Brian

Update: Master screwdriver kit backordered. Ordered the S&W set for now, with extra set of bits. Will order more as time goes on ...you know how that goes.

I make all my own drivers, I grind hard China made bits on a diamond wheel tool grinder. I did splurge for the big Wheeler Engineering set from Midway thinking it would save some time for me . . . DON'T bother, bits are soft so bend and booger screws! Like Will says you want then brittle enough to snap if they fail not bend and mar up heads.

I never bought the Brownels set but I may pony up if they snap not bend. The boggering a screw then grinding a bit AND repairing the screw rout sucks.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have found that most of the "tools" that Midway deals are cheap quality. The tools Brownells deals are generally worth the extra couple bucks. Gunsmithing is 50% having the right tool for the job.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

And after the drivers look at propper files and stones. Three of four different size pipe cleaners make quick slave pins.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I might break one of the spare bits on purpose, not on a gun of course, just to see how these fail ...I agree that breaking is far superior to bending, rounding off, and skipping across the screwhead and the gun... I don't mind replacing bits. And I'll stick with Brownells. I always vote for giving my vote, my dollars, to the outfits that insist on selling quality.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I have found that most of the "tools" that Midway deals are cheap quality. The tools Brownells deals are generally worth the extra couple bucks. Gunsmithing is 50% having the right tool for the job.
    I try to build most of my tooling in-house, I feel I get a better tool for less outlay usually. But I do agree Brownells are more aimed at pros and Midway at the hobbyist.

I needed a sight pusher just yesterday for a Sig, those suckers are in there on a Sig! Looked around the web a bit for ideas and stole this one, I just tapped a tall vice jaw 1/2-20 and used a brass end like that one on a long 1/2-20 bolt. Having a machine shop I can do a bunch of stuff better and cheaper than ordering tooling and usually rebuilding it into something I like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I inherited an arbor press from my father in-law. I set it up to push sights out of auto pistols and man is it handy.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've had the Brownells master set for 15+ years now. I still look for excuses to take guns apart just to use them. They really are that good.