Thread: Late Season Delta Bison sightings

Default Late Season Delta Bison sightings

Had to scrap our fall hunt but it appears we are back on track to head up the end of this month. We have secured permission on several parcels in the Sawmill road area, along with lands near the Gerstle. I know there are areas on the northern edge of the ag areas that are open to hunting for a fee, as well as the panoramic fields for free.

3 of us going up, one tag and two of us successfully hunted them 2 years ago so we know what to expect (really cold, wind and snow). Curious if anyone has any info on where the best place to concentrate efforts would be this time of the season.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't waste a lot of time securing permission until I knew where the bison are. There's been some hanging around Sawmill Creek Road and several bunches in Gerstle Bison Range. There's been very few hunters around so the bison have calmed a bit.

Saw 2 bulls being unloaded at Delta Meats last Wednesday, Cummins road.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Tanana River, below Healy Lake River. When you get to the big bend to the left/west at that ridge, look for the first island on the left, or, first sandbars on the right below the ridge. The ag project is pretty close to that left bank/south side through the spruce. There are several trails in that area, though no current snowmachine tracks on them that I noted. I did not see any fresh sign from the Gerstle/Tanana down. The sign I saw that I first mentoned had hair, hoofs, and horns in the tracks. There was a kill in the ag project about 1/2 to 3/4 mile off of the river.
    Ice in that area looked pretty good, I did not look up river toward Cummings. Down be the Gerstle or below it starts to open up. That was all on Sunday 2/15.
    Good luck, be safe, be courteous.
    ARR

A Delta Bison was killed near the Gerstle Bridge by a truck this week. Not much for recoverable meat but someone severed the trophy head to take home.

Well, we made it up there and had most of the areas to ourselves. Weather was beautiful and there were bison all around. Found them out off the east end of Barley Way, out in the Gerstle, and a group of big bulls right off Sawmill south of Barley Way. Talked with other landowners along Cummings and they reported recent sightings.

The problem was the snow. A heavy crust made it virtually impossible to approach within a couple hundred yards, and contrary to recent reports, the animals we encountered were very skittish. After several blown stalks, one on a group of monster bulls, we finally stepped back to rethink it. We located another group way off in the distance and tried to set up an ambush...then they stopped moving. With a favorable wind, the only option we had was to go too them, but the snow wouldn't let that happen, unless we had a trail. So we located their trail into the field and set off to catch up with them walking in their own tracks. 800-1000 yards later we walked up on a small group of bison, 250 yards out fast asleep! Good cross wind covered our scent and noise and we were quickly in at just under 150. Lead animal was the target with tall horns and a beautiful lush coat, presenting a lying down broadside shot. Fast asleep, it never knew what hit it.

Lots of animals around, challenging conditions, think out of the box and you can fill tags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations, Ducker!........................However, it didn't happen w/o pictures!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Well, we made it up there and had most of the areas to ourselves. Weather was beautiful and there were bison all around. Found them out off the east end of Barley Way, out in the Gerstle, and a group of big bulls right off Sawmill south of Barley Way. Talked with other landowners along Cummings and they reported recent sightings.

The problem was the snow. A heavy crust made it virtually impossible to approach within a couple hundred yards, and contrary to recent reports, the animals we encountered were very skittish. After several blown stalks, one on a group of monster bulls, we finally stepped back to rethink it. We located another group way off in the distance and tried to set up an ambush...then they stopped moving. With a favorable wind, the only option we had was to go too them, but the snow wouldn't let that happen, unless we had a trail. So we located their trail into the field and set off to catch up with them walking in their own tracks. 800-1000 yards later we walked up on a small group of bison, 250 yards out fast asleep! Good cross wind covered our scent and noise and we were quickly in at just under 150. Lead animal was the target with tall horns and a beautiful lush coat, presenting a lying down broadside shot. Fast asleep, it never knew what hit it.

Lots of animals around, challenging conditions, think out of the box and you can fill tags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    awesome!! I like the idea of using their tracks to track them. Lol.
    One day I'd love to put a bison down. Speaking of bison...any day now, they should be coming.

Congrats ERDucker! Enjoy some fine eating